"I BUY HOUSES" call, guess what I got! - Posted by John (KS)

Posted by Matt B on December 08, 1998 at 11:45:42:

I think I talked to that guy! Seriously, though, I had a very similar conversation with one of ads that I called. I had a little better luck than you finding numbers. I didn’t find any in the paper, however. (I live in the Pittsburgh area.) I went looking for signs, billboards, weekly papers, etc., though, and found plenty. I got some that seemed to just be answering services, some people, some answering machines. I did get a lot of good information as to who I need to bring what kind of deal to. Good luck in your search, and try branching out to other avenues of advertising like what I mentioned.

“I BUY HOUSES” call, guess what I got! - Posted by John (KS)

Posted by John (KS) on December 08, 1998 at 11:30:46:

I called the only “I BUY HOUSES” ad in my local paper. First I was suprised to only find one, I live in Topeka, the capitol of the state. It is not a metropolis, but it isn’t small. Second I was nervous that I would screw it up, being my only chance. I talked a younger guy who was very nice. He started by asking where my house was, and I told him I was a beginning investor looking to assign some contracts to investors in the area. He stopped me there and told me that currently he was getting more calls than he could handle and he was looking for a recepionist, after he found one, he was going to start looking for an assistant to help him go look at houses and talk to the sellers, and he would like to talk to me more. WOW! I have been working on a business plan to get out there on my own, but was a little nervous. If I could get in with this guy, maybe I could learn the ropes with him as my mentor, maybe even develop a partner. I don’t know, he probably could not pay me enough to allow me to quit my current full time job, but I may get enough expierience working part time to have the courage to get out on my own. He is supposed to give me a call tonight, when I called, he was in a book store on his cellular. He sounded as excited to talk to me, as I was to hear what he had to say. Thought I’d share my excitement. John (KS)

Re: “I BUY HOUSES” call - Posted by Jackie in Dallas

Posted by Jackie in Dallas on December 08, 1998 at 22:32:20:

John - Mark’s advice is right on target – but don’t be too quick to join forces with the guy running the ad. Find out what he has done in the past - what are his plans for the future. Where is his funding coming from. . . .

You give a little info - then expect him to give a little info - then you give a little, etc, etc. Just don’t lay all your cards on the table too soon.

Who knows, it may turn out to be a match made in heaven - but take it one step at a time.

If you only found one ad in the newspaper, make sure to check the freebie weekly newspapers at the grocery stores - like Thrifty nickel, Greensheet, Pennysaver - maybe you’ll find other ads there.

You could also go the the next foreclosure auction to look for people to flip to- there will most likely be plenty of CASH buyers there since most foreclosure auctions require CASH within a few hours of the bid.

Check out my response to Matt below - on how to jump start your flipping business.

Keep up the GREAT work!

2nd Step for JohnKS - Posted by Mark R in KCMO

Posted by Mark R in KCMO on December 08, 1998 at 17:40:28:

John,

Great to hear that you have a motivated person wanting to talk to you about the posiblities for teaming up. I personaly Like working with partners many other do not.

Here is my Opinion of your 2nd step…

In your own mind design what you would consider the idea working relationship with this or any other partner. Think about what duties that you can currently perform and what things you would like to learn.

I already think you know the numbers side of the biz and seem increasingly comfortable with dealing with sellers.

Do not hold back your knowledge and thoughts, Be clear about what you want and what you are willing to do to get there. Make sure that this person understands where you are headed and what you are seeking, then and only then will both of your benefit from this experience.

Unlike minds will cause excess frustration and fears.

Like minds will create a place where both of you will grow and together. You will advance to faster then you may think possible.

This is a skill in itself, one that is overlooked by many. I think this is one of my stong points, as always nothing is 100%. I think that I can learn someone’s depth of knowledge by acting like what they are telling me is totally new knowledge and questioning thier reasons for doing things “this way”.

I have met both real estate investors and people who buy and sell house that call themselves investors.

Decide if you want this to be a pernament realtionship or a temporary one.

There is nothing wrong with going into biz with people that you do not plan to be in business with for the next 30 years. When you both are on the same page and both know that you are woking on a deal by deal basis, or are staying together until to both grow to the point that you can be independent that is great!!

If you seek to be properous, give your knowledge and information freely, if you want to strugle and work all the days of you life keep your knowledge to yourself.

John, You have done a fantastic job, keep it up, you will get to where you dream to be.

Feel free to ask me any questions that you may have.
Mark R in KCMO