I need my money back - Posted by Puckett

Posted by Felix on September 13, 2003 at 09:35:38:

Here?s what you need to do.

Call up Carlton Sheet?s customer service number and say ?I?m sorry for not returning the product within the time allowed, I dropped the ball and I need to take full reasonability for my actions. Of course you should charge me, and here?s my credit cardinformation to charge me for the return shipping & handling for my course, since you should not have to pay to return my product.?

I need my money back - Posted by Puckett

Posted by Puckett on September 12, 2003 at 19:03:14:

I bought the No Money Down Kit, decided it was not the right thing for me at this time, called and got my return number within the first 30 days of having the kit, then I get charged $500.87. When I called the customer service the lady I spoke to was very rude and said I was late returning my package. I was never told a deadline the package should have been back by, I searched the site, and all it says is:

“Carleton feels it’s important for you to feel comfortable with your purchase decision. If, at any time during your 30-day trial, you feel that any product fails to meet your expectations, simply call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-603-3942 from 7 am - 6 pm CST Monday through Thursday and 7 am - 4 pm CST Friday to get your Return Authorization. Upon receipt of the materials at Professional Education Institute, we will refund your purchase price less your initial shipping and handling.”

I am now completely distressed! I need that money right now to purchase a special chair for my grandfather who had hip replacement surgery a couple weeks ago. I doubt anyone here can do anything about this, but I want to know if anyone thinks it would be un-reasonable for me to expect my refund. Please post back on this, I need support.

Puckett

Re: I need my money back - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on September 12, 2003 at 21:59:17:

Just curious?

You say you called and got a return number within the first 30 days. Then you called and was told you were late returning the package.

You claim you were never told a deadline the package had to be returned by. Then you ask if it would be unreasonable for you to expect a refund.

If you got a return number and sent it back within a reasonable time after getting the return number, then I would say no. It is not unreasonable to expect a refund.

My question is, how much time has passed from when you got the return number and when you actually sent it back? A day? A week? A month? Months?

You don’t say how long after you got the return number that you actually sent it back. If was months, then I would say yes. It is unreasonable to expect a refund. You waited to long to return it. Just because you got a return number doesn’t mean you can just wait until whenever you may decide to send it back. You should send it back within a reasonable amount of time. Like within a week after getting the return number.

So how long after getting the return number did you actually send it back?

Did they keep the package or send it back to you? They can’t just keep the return and not refund your money. If they don’t refund the money then they should have had the package returned back to you.

Do they have the package or did they send it back to you since they won’t refund your money?

Re: I need my money back - Posted by Stewart

Posted by Stewart on September 12, 2003 at 21:26:27:

When I think I might have a problem with a web purchase, I save the web page to my hard drive, just in case someone was to change their copy before someone on my side had a chance to look at it. My two cents :slight_smile:

Dispute The Charge? - Posted by Randy

Posted by Randy on September 12, 2003 at 19:20:11:

I assume you used a credit card or debit card, if so contact the card issuer immediately and dispute the charge. This does two things; (1) You will not pay interest on the purchase while in dispute. (2)The issue is resolved between the card issuer and the company (your credit card company becomes your advocate).

If you did not use a card but instead paid cash; inform Mr. Sheets customer service representative you are contacting the Federal Postal Inspection Service as they used the US mail service to defraud a consumer (FYI any electronic communication, telephone mail even express carriers like FED EX fall under the authority of the Postal Inspection Service). I assure you if you make that call with enough authority in your voice, you will not have to pursue it any further.

Re: I need my money back - Posted by Puckett

Posted by Puckett on September 12, 2003 at 23:07:44:

The date of my return call was July 23rd, my post mark date was August 28th. The reason for such a delay was that I was in the process of moving to a new apartment, and my grandfather needed a hip replacement surgery. All my time was wrapped up in moving by a certain date, and my grandfather in the hospital, which caused such a delay. Things as trivial as this take a back seat to family in trying times such as this. Needless to say I was not informed of this other deadline ever. Had I of known I of course would found the time to return that package, but since I did not know, it took a back seat to where my real time needed to be. I hope someone at the company will understand this.

Puckett

Re: Dispute The Charge? - Posted by roger

Posted by roger on September 12, 2003 at 20:27:14:

addition to what pukett said, if you put it on a credit card and dispute the chargh you should get a instant credit to your account( some c,c providers put the dipute on your credit report) but before you do,call the institute direct at 1(630)325-8700 and explain what has happened ,the op you talk to is most likely working a a boiler room

Re: I need my money back - Posted by matt

Posted by matt on September 13, 2003 at 12:49:32:

July 23rd plus thirty days equals August 22nd. End of story. If I listened to every story from a tenant on why they can’t pay the rent I would be out of business. So would Carleton. You have to play by the rules…

Re: I need my money back - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on September 13, 2003 at 08:28:08:

They advertise a 30 day back money guarantee. Use the course for 30 days and if for any reason you don’t want it, simply return it. They do not advertise read the course for 30 days, and within 30 days call to get a return number, and then take another month or whatever to return it, at your leasure depending on personal circumstances. It takes a few minutes to pack up a package and drop it off at the post office.

Everyone has a hard luck story. Not to say yours isn’t the case. But how is your personal problem someone else’s problem?

The main question at this point is, did they keep the package or return it back to you?

If they did not return the package back to you, then in my opinion they accepted the return and they owe you a refund.

If they returned the package back to you, denying you a refund, they may be in right due to the amount of time that has lapsed.

Put yourself in their place. What would you do where everyone calling wants a refund after decidind to return the item over month after they authorized a return? You are running a business, not a charity where you feel sorry for everyone with a hard luck story.

They offer the 30 day refund because that is required by law due to the nature of the way they sell their product. Not because they want to be sure everyone is satisfied. You had your 30 days, you called and got a authorization number to return it within 30 days, and then you dropped the ball by waiting over another 30 days to return it. It doesn’t matter what your excuse is, whether it is a legitimate excuse or not.

But, like I said, if they kept the package after you returned it, then they accepted your return and owe you a refund. If they sent your package back the instead of a refund then they are probably in the right, due to the length of time you took to return it. Just my opinion.

You can call and make all kinds of threats to get your money back, and that might work or might not. But in my opinion people should not have the right to take their time in returning things where they are entitled to a refund, regardless of their reasons for the delay. Returns should be done within a “reasonable” amount of time. Over a month after getting an authorization to return something is not a reasonable amount of time, in my opinion.

I hope it works out for you in the end. Good Luck with this.

Re: I need my money back - Posted by adamliebs

Posted by adamliebs on September 13, 2003 at 01:35:57:

Puckett-

I hope you get your money back too, but the company might say that you purchased it, read it, copied it or noted it, and then sent it back for a free education. I understand your point of view and I do hope you get it back but it does not sound like a slam dunk case. Best of luck

adam