I need some advice on this mobile home deal....anyone anyone anyone?? - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by phil fernandez on March 10, 2000 at 06:07:20:

Hi Carey,

If you’re sure you can get the $20,000 - $25,000 after the move I would consider it. Or how bout offering the sellers $3,000 in cash today so they’ll have a sure sale. Then you can use the extra $2,000 for the move.

What would it cost to replace the metal roof with a shingle roof? Or I would look around for another park that would allow metal roofs.

I’ve moved a few mobiles. Normally there won’t be much damage to a home that new other then some sheetrock cracks etc. Check with your insurance guy to see if you are covered during the transport. Also make sure the mover has insurance.

I need some advice on this mobile home deal…anyone anyone anyone?? - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on March 09, 2000 at 20:44:23:

Hello all,

I just got back from looking at a mh and i need some advice. the sellers want 5k for it. it has to be moved. the moving costs will be between 2k-2.5k.

i’m pretty confident that i can get probably 20-25k for the home. it’s a 1991 in EXCELLENT shape.

the park i was planning on moving it to i think may have a problem with the roof. it’s a metal roof, the park says the roof has to be shingles and the side vinyls. the side is fine, but the roof is metal. If i could get the park to accept the metal roof i could do this deal in a snap, otherwise i’m gonna have to find another park, which may take sometime since they may want to run a credit check etc on me since they don’t know me.

Any suggestions? I’m looking for suggestions about the price of the home and about the roof situation???
Should i give up the 5k for the home plus the 2.5k to be moved and set up??? or should i try to wait it out, i know that have 2 offers so far, both waiting on financing for the full 5k! so i know my CASH would win!

OH also, i’ve never moved a mh before, it’s a 1991 i suppose that’s better than it being a 1971 as far as moving, but i’m wondering how the moving of a mh turns out? i mean is there some damage to the home after the move, etc? (the home will be moved over 100 miles).

Thanks in advance for all your help!

CAREY

Seems a long way to move it - Posted by Blane (MI)

Posted by Blane (MI) on March 10, 2000 at 10:09:59:

Hi Carey,

Enjoyed meeting you at the convention. Maybe the pros will disagree, but it seems like a lot of risk and effort to move this. For the same price, could you find one already in a park and able to stay there? Plus, 100 miles seems an awful long way to move a home. Someone posted previously that they were going to move a home, and they had been asked if the hot water heater had been either secured or removed. It hadn’t even occurred to him to check, and if memory serves me correctly the tank did indeed cause floor damage during the move. Have you covered all the potential pitfalls?

If you do this one, would like to hear how it goes. If I’m offbase pros, please tell me.

Best of luck Carey,

Blane Swenson

Re: I need some advice on this mobile home deal…anyone anyone anyone?? - Posted by Judy

Posted by Judy on March 10, 2000 at 09:16:39:

I don’t know if this is possible, but could you put shingles right on top of the metal roof?