I quit! - Posted by Pete

A “PS” to all beginners, discouraged… - Posted by Michael in Phoenix

Posted by Michael in Phoenix on April 24, 2002 at 12:25:25:

…or not:

(I preface my comments by re-stating that I am no huge success story, only having bought and sold a couple of properties and made a reasonable amount of profit, so perhaps anyone reading this should read the “gurus” first!)

Keep in mind that if you have taken a “guru” course, don’t expect the real world to be exactly like the course describes! The real world never is exactly like the teachers describe. It always varies a little, or a lot, depending on the teacher.

YOUR TASK is to take what you’ve learned and use it as a STARTING POINT in your REI career! Good grief, when I look back on the first seminar I attended, which, I believe was TOM VU (of all people!), what I learned there (and I still have his materials, now 15 years old!) was, AT BEST a rough idea of how to proceed into the field!

IM(not so)HO, the sooner a beginner accepts the fact that the course he/she took, or the book he/she read had valuable, but by no means COMPLETE, information, the sooner a beginner will be able to start the process of learning, growing and gaining the prosperity they seek!

It’s a BUSINESS you’re in, not a “club” or an “alumni group” and you had better decide to grow a large head of steam to keep yourself “psyched” for success, or you will very quickly join what JohnBoy rightfully identified as the 95% of beginners that fail.

The task is yours. Will you control your destiny? Or will you allow the typical challenges faced by ALL new businesses to become your excuse to fail?

Michael

GREAT story…and some advice for Pete - Posted by JJJ - FL

Posted by JJJ - FL on April 24, 2002 at 13:57:00:

What a great story!! And its analogous to a newbie starting his RE career.

You’ve already accepted that you don’t want to live a “normal” life of working for someone else for the next 30 years but even pursuing creative real estate. And you took some action (signs, postcards, etc.), which is farther than most people get. You are literally THREE FEET from gold now. Do you want to be like that miner?

Sure you’ve sent postcards, and put up signs…but who did you send the postcards to? What did they say? Where did you put up your signs? Did you talk to any sellers? Have lunch with any successful investors in the area?

You see…the money doesn’t start rolling in as soon as you put up a few signs and sent postcards and sit back as the money rolls in. If this business were that simple, EVERYONE would be doing it. And thats just what it is…A BUSINESS. With any business, if something isn’t working, you find out whats wrong and try again. If a particular postcard doesn’t work, you try a new one. You ADAPT.

Why not post what your ads/postcards/signs say so we can help tweak them? I’m sure a lot of ppl have been discouraged at one point or another, but don’t give up when you are so close.

Nice Post JT - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on April 24, 2002 at 13:10:15:

And further a quote that I have always liked.

" A winner never quits. A quitter never wins. "

Re: I quit! - Posted by Deb V.

Posted by Deb V. on April 24, 2002 at 12:58:16:

I just purchased Bronchicks AREF course to get started in this business. It would seem to me that expired listings would provide great leads! My question is, can an investor also be a real estate agent. This way one would have access to the MLS for expired listings and could follow up with a call. Someone did tell me on another board that a re agent could lose their license for doing this if the broker found out. Is this true? If the listing is already expired anyway, can’t a real estate agent follow up as a private investor? If it is a conflict of interest, what is the best way for newbie investors to get access to the MLS?
Thanks for clarifying this issue for me. Deb

I’m assuming it’s a paid position, yes? (nt) - Posted by JoeKaiser

Posted by JoeKaiser on April 24, 2002 at 16:01:21:

Re: But, Joe… - Posted by Ronald * Starr

Posted by Ronald * Starr on April 24, 2002 at 15:36:24:

Pete---------------

I suggest that you read John Reed’s book “How to Buy Real Estate for at Least 20% Below Market Value.” There are a whole lot of bargain-finding approaches there. His website is johntreed.com .

Good InvestingRon Starr*

http://www.creonline.com/mm-52.html - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on April 25, 2002 at 05:58:48:

a book of bargain buying strategies - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on April 24, 2002 at 15:35:11:

J---------------

I suggest that you read John Reed’s book “How to Buy Real Estate for at Least 20% Below Market Value.” There are a whole lot of bargain-finding approaches there. His website is johntreed.com .

Good InvestingRon Starr*

Expired agency listings. NTXT - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on April 24, 2002 at 14:17:24:

nt

Out Of State Owners nt. - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on April 24, 2002 at 13:06:33:

nt.

Re: I quit! - Posted by di in WI

Posted by di in WI on April 24, 2002 at 19:27:51:

A lot of agents are investors and almost all brokers require their agents to pay commission on their personal transactions, whether they use the firm or not, so you would end up paying(& making) commission anyway. If you want to learn some background in Real Estate and sales, being an agent is a great idea. If you just want access to the MLS, I wouldn’t bother. DI