I ran an ad.. - Posted by Debbie MacEachern

Posted by i ran an add on May 31, 1999 at 23:42:34:

chuck, e mail me and i will send you a copy of it. better yet if you have a fax give me that # or your addreww so i can make sure you get a copy of it. my email address is terit1@prodigy.net

I ran an ad… - Posted by Debbie MacEachern

Posted by Debbie MacEachern on May 26, 1999 at 08:17:38:

I ran an ad in the real estate section of the local Sunday paper. I put it in the real estate wanted section. It read “We buy Homes” and the phone #. It was the last of 12 ads. (It was bold and actually looked pretty good) I got zero calls. Everything I’ve read says to go ahead and run your ad even if there are 10 others just like it. I’m thinking I should change the wording ( I have one more Sunday prepaid) to say something like “Need to sell your home fast. Call us, and the phone #.” Am I on the right track? Any advice?

Thank you,

Debbie Mac

Re: I ran an ad… - Posted by andy

Posted by andy on May 28, 1999 at 24:44:32:

debbie, we have that same thing in our area, the ads don’t work for us, what we have done is go look for the properties, find the good ones , you know the ones with six inch grass and weeds those are our favorites, then we go to the court house and look and see were the taxes are being sent. then we send them a flyer. it works great, our last bunch we sent 12 and received 8 phone calls. it is cheaper than a add and we get a better return on our stamp

Re: I ran an ad… - Posted by Duane

Posted by Duane on May 26, 1999 at 22:39:39:

I’ve heard that persistance is the trick, but I guess it depends on your area and the length of time of the ad. I live in St. Louis which has approximately 2 million people and the Sunday paper has about 30 ads of this type in it (every week for the last year that I have been checking it). I ran an ad that was to appear in the Sunday and Wendsday paper for a solid month and did not recieve ONE call. It seems that the competition is outstanding in this area, but I have seen the same ads in the paper for a long time (like a year). I sure hope they’re making some money off of them.

Re: I ran an ad… - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on May 26, 1999 at 19:27:05:

I agree with Bud. One Sunday isn’t going to cut it. You need to run the ad every day for several months. A lot of newspapers will give you a discounted rate if you commit to longer periods of running the ad.

When I took out my ad they discounted it to $130 per month to run every day. I offered to run it every day for a year and they dropped the price to $100 per month. It’s been running for over 6 months now and I get some calls here and there off it. Most aren’t worth anything. I did close one deal off it that made more than enough to pay for the ad the entire year. One deal will more than cover the cost for a couple of years if you get one from it.

Re: I ran an ad… - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on May 26, 1999 at 15:51:07:

An ad once in the Sunday paper is not likely to draw much response. If you are going to do that advertising you need to run an ad every day for three to six months. Most allow you to change the wording. If that is too expensive try more regional, throw away, or greensheet type advertising.

Re: I ran an ad… - Posted by B.L. Renfrow

Posted by B.L. Renfrow on May 26, 1999 at 11:14:56:

Debbie,

I have tried both display ads (expensive!) and small classifieds (cheap!). In both, I kept it simple (“I Buy Houses”) and included the phrase “fast cash” which seemed to prompt the most interest. I’ve had just as many calls from the classifieds as the display. However, in my area, there’s only one other guy running a similar ad (and the callers generally have already called him). Each ad has generated anywhere from 10-30 calls, and I’m in a fairly rural area. Of course, most of them are a waste of time, but I’ve gotten several good leads. But I’m planning on focusing more on direct mailing, door hangers, flyers, etc. as opposed to ads, so as to avoid spending so much time taking and returning calls from unmotivated sellers who only want all cash at FMV.

Brian

Re: I ran an ad… - Posted by Chuck in PA

Posted by Chuck in PA on May 30, 1999 at 24:10:23:

Could you please give us an example of your flyer?
Thanks