I THINK I QUIT...... - Posted by Lisa

Posted by Doug Pretorius on April 17, 2000 at 08:51:59:

I read Rich Dad, Poor Dad, and yesterday I read John Reed’s review of it.

I found the same things. Most of what JTD calls ‘inaccurate’ is where he’s taking things totally out of context. In other cases I saw completely fictional comments that aren’t found anywhere in the book.

Personally, I find it very difficult to digest such a thoroughly negative review. There are very few things that have absolutely no value whatsoever, so I tend not to believe someone who says something fits that category.

I THINK I QUIT… - Posted by Lisa

Posted by Lisa on April 16, 2000 at 11:52:31:

Out of curiosity, I visited John T. Reed’s web site, after seeing some posts about him. Honestly, I didn’t know who he was before this, duh. I’m now ready to throw in the towel on real estate investing altogehter, creative or otherwise. Is there anyone he recommends, other than himself, of course? After reading his recommendations, or really, NON recommendations, I guess I ought to just quit rei, quit visiting all of the crei sites, stop learning from all of these people who are all wet in their teaching, etc. Now, I had no idea who this JTR was until now, and I’m not really criticizing (am I?), but I’m going to stay right here and form my own ideas about what’s best for me and my investing. So, note to MATT B…I wouldn’t worry about JTR coming down on you too hard for your information, he doesn’t like anyone anyway. Keep up the good work everyone.

Re: I THINK I QUIT… - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on April 16, 2000 at 20:53:13:

John T. Reed’s write-ups about gurus and other RE subjects are only opinions, and everybody is entitled to their own.

IMHO, it is good to read over the negative opinions now and then. Why? It helps me to better formulate my own opinions.

For instance, I read Rich Dad Poor Dad and was totally blown away. What an awesome book. I read it again. Blown away again. Then I read Reed’s article about the book. I felt like someone had hit me with a Mack Truck. Whoooooa! I must of missed something here. I remember reading that same stuff that Reed mentioned. It made me go back and re-read parts of the book. Know what I found out. Some of the stuff in that book is questionable. After all, we don’t have the entire story in the book, so who knows maybe Reed is right on target, but maybe he is not. On the other hand, some of the stuff Reed wrote was purely fictional. I almost think he read a different version than I did. Again everybody has their own opinion.

My opinion on Reed’s advice and guru ratings. 80% of what he says, “I do not recommend.” Of course that is only my opinion.

Best wishes.

It’s A Little Like Food Poisoning - Posted by Hugh James

Posted by Hugh James on April 16, 2000 at 16:55:08:

Reading John Reed’s “reviews” is, IMHO, akin to eating under cooked chicken…it’ll bug you for awhile, but it’ll pass. I’ve read all of them, thank you, but I take them with a grain of salt and keep in mind that they are simply one person’s opinions. And right or wrong he’s entitled to 'em.

Re: I THINK I QUIT… - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on April 16, 2000 at 13:11:11:

Lisa-

Anytime you mention JTR you are gonna open the floodgates for responses. One of the few he admires and gives praise to is John Beck who also has materials available at CREOnline. Just for the heck of it you may want to do an archive search at CREOnline for Reed just to see how much he is mentioned here.

Joe Kaiser did a nice send up of JTR at this link:

http://www.nothingdown.com/Pages/braindropping_5.html

If you want to hear Reed speak on Real Estate related matters forget it-but he will be speaking on Coaching Youth Football in NJ and California. Tickets are $60 per person. I don’t really think Real Estate is his passion anymore, but RE Guru hunting is. I’m waiting for a RE Guru to come along who also does Youth Football Coaching so we can all just sit back and watch the sparks fly.

-Chris

Re: I THINK I QUIT… - Posted by Glenn-OH

Posted by Glenn-OH on April 17, 2000 at 08:25:13:

Someone on this site did a point by point analysis of Reed’s review of RD,PD and caught him editing woutes out of context for his reviews. I would find that article before you accept Reed’s analysis of the book. I don’t disagree that everyone is entitled to an opinion, but to be so blatantly one sided is rediculous.
Glenn

Re: I THINK I QUIT… - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on April 17, 2000 at 09:14:53:

JPiper is the one who reviewed Reed’s review. Great analysis. It did point any many flaws in Reed’s thinking.

Reed is very biased and one-sided and I disagree with many things he says. I don’t think he should be 100% ignored because his biased point-of-view does allow one to see another side of gurus as well as subjects like DOS clause and lease options. Obviously some of his reviews and claims are totally ridiculous, but by having Reed point out the negatives, it allows me to weigh the good vs. the bad and form my own opinions.

Best wishes.