I want to build a mobile home park - Posted by T.D.

Posted by Calvin on December 22, 2004 at 19:01:54:

Are you serious? I have yet to hear of a good lawey without any money!

I want to build a mobile home park - Posted by T.D.

Posted by T.D. on December 26, 2002 at 16:41:14:

I searched the archives and there is a lot of stuff in there about buying existing m.h. parks.

I’m brand new here and still feel really stupid. A lot of the abbreviated initials used as terminology are foreign to me, which cause me more confusion.

I live in a rural county. Rural counties contain a higher percentage of low-income people vs. high income people. In my town, there are two existing parks. One is a dump that I don’t see how anyone lives in - dirt roads in extremely poor repair, several ancient, collapsing homes, lots of trash, in cluding old appliances laying around, etc. The other is roughly the same size (@100 lots), but clean, neat, seemingly nice place to live. Lots rent for around $85-$100.00 around here, no bills paid, all on city water, etc.

Affordable housing is in very short supply. Actually, all housing is in short supply, but affordable housing is, especially. I do not consider rent over $1,000.00/mo “affordable” for most of the people who live around here. Much of the housing that is affordable is older, run-down mobile homes that are, at best, substandard.

I have two cities very close to each other to choose from, as far as location goes. Both locations (I haven’t got an exact location for either city, but I know this much already) would be outside of the city limits and there would be no city water, sewage, etc. so I’d have to have a complete septic system built. I’ve spoken to the TNRCC (Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission) about this already. It’s do-able. I want to rent lots for mobile homes only, no RV’s. I have also considered putting in older, used mobile homes and selling them as owner finance properties. This is an idea I’ve had for several years; I am glad it is well-received on this site. What I most want to avoid is having to do maintainance, like I would have to on an apartment complex, and I want the ability to have only one employee, which could be my spouse, keeping overhead and taxes down in at least one aspect.

My credit is pretty good but I have no start-up capital, no prior experience, and nothing but my ability to learn from extensive research to go on. I am seriously considering hiring an investment firm to guide me. There seems to be a lot of informaion available on starting a small business on the internet, but all of it costs money and I am leary of traveling down so many dead-end paths that I spend all of my money before I actually find any practical help.

So, does anyone have any questions, comments, or advice for me? I will continue to research this site. I am working on drawing up a business plan, but for the kind of mobile home park I want, there doesn’t seem to be a lot to say other than what I’ve already said in this post.

Thanks.

Re: I want to build a mobile home park - Posted by Ray Keough

Posted by Ray Keough on April 14, 2005 at 17:56:16:

April 14, 2005 I, also, would like to build a mobile home park. I live in up-state N Y State. Have you guys started to build yet??? How are you makeing out? Ray

Re: I want to build a mobile home park - Posted by Richard (TX)

Posted by Richard (TX) on December 27, 2002 at 19:27:22:

Where in Texas are you? In my part of east Texas cheap lot rent is about $200. and there are very few vacancies. I also have thought about doing the same thing. I also have a background in asphalt and road building. If you are close maybe we could get together and kick some ideas around.
Richard McCaslin

Re: I want to build a mobile home park - Posted by Akshar

Posted by Akshar on July 26, 2007 at 05:44:26:

I am first time investor and interested in investing in mobile home park. Can you please guide me with some of the detail like—How i should start. Whome should i contact for Financing? What are the other formalities i have to complete. There are any certified developers or contracters, whome i can contact to build a mobile home park?

Re: I want to build a mobile home park - Posted by Beatrice Nagy

Posted by Beatrice Nagy on April 21, 2006 at 09:43:56:

I am very interested in building a mobilehome park and would appreciate some input.

Re: I want to build a mobile home park - Posted by T.D.

Posted by T.D. on April 26, 2005 at 21:12:27:

I found out that building one is a lot more expensive than buying one and that if I look around enough, there are several small ones already in my rural area.

Re: I want to build a mobile home park - Posted by Coury Jacocks

Posted by Coury Jacocks on December 31, 2002 at 14:50:25:

I am an attorney in Dallas, so I am probably pretty close to Dallas. Moreover, my business takes me out to east Texas (Longview, Marshall, and Tyler) about twice a month, and to Houston (including Port Arthur and Beaumont) about two days per week at least. I am also wanting to develop my own park, and would love to talk with either of you about it. My phone number is on the web at www.godwinguber.com - Just click on lawyers and go down to my name. Hope to hear from ya’ll, and if I don’t have a great New Year!