ICR Credit Repair Lawsuit - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by Bruce Lawson on February 20, 2002 at 11:41:51:

Hi Terry,

You are close, but not quite there. The difference between an illegal pyramid and a legitimate multilevel marketing company is NO ONE makes money with a legitimate MLM company until the new rep or distributor makes money. With an illegal pyramid you can buy in at any level and money is exchanged throughout the organization just for signing a new rep.

The educational series is not to keep us legal with company structure but to offer the consumer an education in finance management and for compliance with the credit repair organizations act.

Sincerely,

Bruce Lawson

ICR Credit Repair Lawsuit - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by Ron (MD) on February 19, 2002 at 03:55:59:

I was considering signing up for ICR, the credit repair co. to help prepare buyer prospects. I noticed what appears to be a new link on the ICR website that describes a class action suit against them. This suit suggests that they have been either over-charging or under-performing.

Has anyone had any experience with ICR…good or bad? Or, is there another reputable company that is successful with credit repair?

Here’s the link…http://www.creditrepairnotice.com/.

Thx.

Ron Guy

Re: ICR Credit Repair Lawsuit - Posted by Bruce Lawson

Posted by Bruce Lawson on February 20, 2002 at 11:20:48:

Hi Ron,

You should find and do business with an honest rep, one who knows the company and it’s services. Many times what happens is people get involved with ICR as reps because they see a quick way to make a buck and never learn the industry for which they are involved.

The lawsuit is against individual reps not the company every company has cowboys who do what ever they want to do regardless.

I think you should reconsider using ICR you will wittness great results, interview the rep before giving them the business and see what they tell you. ICR forces the CRA’s to comply with the FCRA if an inaccuracy is identified with a violation to the law it will get deleted.

Sincerely,

Bruce Lawson

Re: ICR Credit Repair Lawsuit - Posted by Gib

Posted by Gib on February 19, 2002 at 17:13:20:

I haven’t used ICR, but my understanding is that a credit repair service may not charge in advance for services rendered. At least that beyond a setup fee. This could be what the class action suit addressed.

Re: Try Lexington Law Firm - Posted by GregNY

Posted by GregNY on February 19, 2002 at 12:37:46:

The have a retainer of $75 dollars and $35 a month
after that. You can use them for as long as you NEED
them. If you use it for 12 months it costs $460 dollars
but I think its better than paying $395 upfront.
Besides, if you had that kind of money just laying
around you probably wouldnt have any credit problems.
Here’s the link:

http://creditrights.safeserver.com/ac/home.html?id=MainLex

I signed up a Year ago. - Posted by NeilH

Posted by NeilH on February 19, 2002 at 10:21:37:

And will be glad to share the results.

I will start by saying that 2 years ago my Beacon (Equifax credit score) was 483 and that now it’s 680. 483 is terrible. If you decided to start trashing your credit today just for fun, I think you would find it hard to get it that low.

The reasons include a 1998 Bankruptcy and about 24 actual mistakes related to the bankruptcy. (Showed balances owed that should have been $0).

Prior to signing up with ICR, I submitted several letters and online forms to Equifax in an attempt to have the mistakes removed or corrected. The results were pretty good. In almost all cases, the mistakes were fixed or item was deleted and my score quickly made it very close to the 600-610 ranges.

So at that point, I kind of felt that I could not really make any more improvements myself and figured why not give ICR a try (I had not done any work on my trans union and experian reports at that point).

I was a very irate customer after about the first four months. They lost my credit reports and I had to send in another set. It took almost a month for the second set to finally get into their system. (Approximately the end of the 4th month.) Customer Service was, in my experience, really bad. It was almost impossible to find out the status of anything.

BUT. Let me tell you what they did for me in the end. First of all, they were able to get about 6 additional items removed. Second, they fixed some things that I did wrong on my Equifax report investigations. Let me give an example. On all of those old bankruptcy accounts, I checked Equifax?s multiple choice box “included in bankruptcy”, so even though I was happy that they changed the balances to 0, my report had the word bankruptcy written all over it, over and over. Maybe that doesn?t factor in too much to a credit scoring system, but it sure looked scarier to a lender than it does now. What ICR was able to do was to have the “included in Bankruptcy” notation changed to “paid as agreed” on ALL of my OLD accounts.

They were not able to remove my bankruptcy from my report, however there is repossession that in no longer on there. That is amazing.

So, I would say that if your credit just has a few little problems try doing it yourself. If you?re too busy or have really bad credit I think it’s worth it. They are definitely not a ?scam?, I think they are just unorganized. Maybe they have improved. Ironically, one of the reasons I signed up for ICR instead of other services I found, was because they had you pay upfront and there was no monthly ?retainer? like other repair companies that I found. I thought that the retainer arrangement would give the company an incentive to drag the process out. LOL!

I read the lawsuit. I think that people just really have their guard up when it comes to “credit repair” because it is so connected to the word scam. Heck, I would have joined these plaintiffs after that fourth month I told you about (because of no customer service and at that point I had seen no evidence of any credit repair being done).

Hopefully this information will help someone.

Re: ICR Credit Repair Lawsuit - Posted by Denise

Posted by Denise on February 19, 2002 at 09:10:30:

You don’t need someone else to repair your credit. The laws that are already in place are what allows you to repair your credit. E-mail me for details. Denise

Re: ICR Credit Repair Lawsuit - Posted by Tom (GA)

Posted by Tom (GA) on February 19, 2002 at 08:40:21:

Take a look at this link for Lexington Law Firm:
http://creditrights.safeserver.com/ac/home.html

(I have no financial interest in this firm.)

Tom

Re: ICR Credit Repair Lawsuit - Posted by William Bronchick

Posted by William Bronchick on February 19, 2002 at 08:33:40:

Interesting . . .

I know a lot about them and know people who have had some success with the system. For $395, it’s not overpriced, but I don’t think ICR can do what it claims. On the other hand, SOME improvement in credit is better than none, and, to that extent, it is worth the money.

BTW, it appears that the suit was based on claims made by an indepedent distributor, not ICR itself.

Re: ICR Credit Repair Lawsuit - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on February 20, 2002 at 11:50:12:

It looks to me like the lawsuit is against the company and individual reps. At least that’s the way I read it from the link mentioned above.

The individual names mentioned in the suit are the names of the PLANTIFFS. The party being sued as the DEFENDANTS are named as, ICR SERVICES, INC., D/B/A NATIONAL CREDIT REPAIR,

Is ICR Services, Inc., D/B/A National Credit Repair the main company or are you saying this is the entity owned and operated by independant reps???

If you read further in the complaint it says claims can be made against ICR AND its indepandant reps.

Am I reading this all wrong?

Re: ICR Credit Repair Lawsuit - Posted by GregNY

Posted by GregNY on February 19, 2002 at 17:46:41:

I guess the $395 is paying for some credit counselling
books. The service is “free” but you’re “only” paying
for the books. That’s how they are justifying the
upfront cost. What I don’t like is the fact that you
have to buy the books, what if you just want the service?
You as a consumer should have the choice.

Just my 2 pennies,

GregNY

Re: Try Lexington Law Firm - Posted by GregNY

Posted by GregNY on February 19, 2002 at 12:40:13:

Also, the customer service is excellent. They respond
by email. They can usually get back to you with an
answer faster than your posts on this site.

Good Luck,

GregNY
ps - I don’t work for them or get paid by them!

Re: ICR Credit Repair Lawsuit - Posted by Denise

Posted by Denise on February 20, 2002 at 23:10:27:

Wow! Thats great that they have software out there that will do all that! I’m just trying to inform people that there are some steps that they can do to repair credit themselves with almost no cost before they resort to paying costly fees to individuals who “repair credit”.

Posted by Bruce Lawson on February 20, 2002 at 09:03:30:

Hi Denise,

You are absolutely right people can dispute their own credit reports, but with ICR we have the propietary computer search program that reads and idenifies inaccurate,erroneous and obsolete entries on credit reports. The software is what can give ICR the power to have things such as bankruptcies,tax liens,judgments etc… removed or corrected on credit reports. The items people have their own success with are the items that are obviously not theirs or is totally inaccurate, and that is not a sure thing.

ICR forces the CRA’s to comply with the Fair Credit Reporting Act, without the complete knowledge of the FCRA how would the consumer know if there was an error. Just because there is a report of an item on a credit report and the client does owe the debt that does not mean it is reported correctly, ICR can identify it if it is inaccurate.

Denise again you are correct the public have the laws behind them to have a correct credit report it is up to each individual to choose how or what to do to get it done.

Sincerely,

Bruce Lawson

Posted by Bruce Lawson on February 20, 2002 at 08:44:13:

Hi William,

As an ICR independent representative I find myself lately explaining what you have said in your post, the law suit is against an individual not the company and it included three individuals who had business with that particular rep.

As you know everyone’s success is going to vary due to types of errors or lack of errors on a credit report. I must disagree with you about ICR doing what they say, the computer search program reads and identifies inaccurate,erroneous and obsolete information on credit reports. The FCRA states that if an inaccuracy is identified and brought to their attention(CRA)the information must be deleted or corrected immediately, this can be found under section 611 of the FCRA procedure of disputed accuracy. Therefore ICR forces them to comply with the law. The ICR 110% money back guarantee states that if after the clients subcription of one year ICR has not had all identified errors removed from their credit reports the company will refund 110% of what the customer spent on Consumer Advantage. So the only way ICR can not help the customer is if all the information reported is totally accurate.

I would like to thank you for your response people on this site respect what you have to say and if you do not trash ICR maybe they will try us out.

Feel free to contact me if you care to discuss this further or to find out more about the direction of ICR.

Sincerely,

Bruce Lawson
1-877-842-3297

Posted by Bruce Lawson on February 20, 2002 at 11:31:48:

Hi Greg,

ICR does not want the consumer to end up in another mess once they have has done the credit repair the course that is purchased is taught in colleges and universities throughout the country it is designed to help consumers and educate them on financial management.

The consumer does have a choice people can dispute their own reports, the reason lawyers do not offer any educational material is because they are exempt from the credit repair organizations act that prohibits the charge for credit repair. Therefore ICR is helping the consumer with an education and complying with the law.

Sincerely,

Bruce Lawson

Re: ICR Credit Repair Lawsuit - Posted by Terry (Houston)

Posted by Terry (Houston) on February 19, 2002 at 22:28:42:

They pitched our Real Estate Club here.

The reason for the course they gave was that there has to be a ‘product’ sold for it to be a MLM and not a pyramid scheme. Keeps them legal ya know.

just how I heard it…

Terry (Houston)