If the state allows you to buy/sell two MHs a year, HOW can you operate without a dealers license?? - Posted by George Dean

Posted by Babesy on June 21, 1999 at 16:54:23:

A.D.D. strikes again. Doing too many things at once. Boy, did that come out wrong; this newfangled contrapshun didn’t print what I meant to say. It is as Stacy said, you will be forced to get a license if you want to keep ahead of the sheriff (and around here, he’s a mean one).

If the state allows you to buy/sell two MHs a year, HOW can you operate without a dealers license?? - Posted by George Dean

Posted by George Dean on June 21, 1999 at 07:30:24:

It seems that you can’t operate a MH buying/selling for profit business WITHOUT a license! (PLUS, there is the disadvantage of not being able to use the installment method for sales.)

Here in Texas, I have been told the limit was two MHs. I know for cars, its 4 cars a years.

Additionally, as with cars, a curbstoner can simply “jump the title” never actually taking possession of the vehicle. the seller signs the seller spots on the title and the new buyer will sign the buyers spot on the title AND the curbstoner legally never had possession of the car. the curbstoner bypasses paying sales tax and gets around the 4 car limit. Of course this is illegal but its common practice in the automotive industry. Is this common practice in MHs?

Many times the state simply does not have the resources to enforce the law.

Any suggestions?

Has anyone ran into problems?

Does anyone have a Texas License they would lease? (Heck, would anyone be interested in leasing a MH license for a few hundred a month or a couple hundred per sale?)

Thanks,
George Dean

Re: I heard a story - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on June 21, 1999 at 14:56:56:

I remember an interesting story posted by a very knowlegable MH investor several month ago. It was about an investor who didn’t know about this 2 MH/year limit, and went along making deal after deal. for months. Then, at some later time, he got a call from the authorities stating that he was in violation of dealing without a license. The investor was surprised and concerned, apologized, and promised to go and get a dealers license ASAP, which he did. Case closed.

Stacy

Re: Why not get a license? (nt) - Posted by Dave

Posted by Dave on June 21, 1999 at 14:47:29:

Why not get a license?

Re: If the state allows you to buy/sell two MHs a year, HOW can you operate without a dealers license?? - Posted by Babesy

Posted by Babesy on June 21, 1999 at 10:20:21:

Here in Phoenix, the rule is the same. MH dealers/brokers licenses are issued by the Dept. of Building and Fire Safety, and if they find out you’ve done more than 2 in a year, they will take your license.

It is illegal to buy/sell more than 2 MHs a year without a license. Is there a creative way around that rule? nt - Posted by George Dean

Posted by George Dean on June 21, 1999 at 13:07:03:

How can you get around this limitation?

Re: If the state… - Posted by Randy -IL-

Posted by Randy -IL- on June 21, 1999 at 12:52:07:

I don’t quite understand. If the person were licensed, why would they care if that person did more than 2 deals in a year? I don’t think what you were getting at was that dealers are limited to 2 deals a year.

Also, if someone is doing unlicensed deals, how can they take the license away? (They don’t have one to take)

I’m not trying to be arguementative, just looking for clarification.
Thanks,
Randy