If you could invest anywhere.... - Posted by Steve

Posted by Frank Chin on March 17, 2001 at 17:55:42:

We live in the New York City area and the wife is tired of the cold winters here. We’re looking for a better climate and a place to reinvest the proceeds from properties we own that reached sky high prices up here.

I’ve been watching this board for ideas.

So far, one person posting here, going by KR-(AZ) I believe, originally from Oregon, did well in Arizona. I believe the Tuscon area. I didn’t have a chance to investigate that market though.

A co-worker retired in his mid fifities and moved to Ocala FL. He love the climate and cost of living down there. He originally owned rentals in Ocala before he retired there. He now sells real estate part time (tired of sitting home for a year)and tells me nice 3BR homes go for 125K there. He discouraged me from buying rentals because of the low quality tenants there. But prices are very reasonable compared to New York.

Another person here mentioned prices in New Mexico is cheap, but the economy is no good.

From our standpoint, its question of whether we go into retirement completely, where the job market doesn’t matter, or go into Real Estate investing, where a half way decent job market is necessary.

I saw a magazine in my dentist’s office going by the name “Places to Retire” (not 100% sure). I was thinking dropping by his office to grab a subscription coupon form the magazine and get some ideas that way.

Its a big country out there. Maybe folks could give us a half dozen to start. Its rough not liking where you are, and not knowing where you want to go.

If you could invest anywhere… - Posted by Steve

Posted by Steve on March 17, 2001 at 11:48:31:

If you could take $25k and up and move tomorrow (no hassles with family, work, etc.)to invest, what market would it be in? Or, if you prefer not to name a specific place, provide some of the characteristics of the place. Just thought this would be an interesting question for discussion and because in a few months I may be in this situation.

Re: If you could invest anywhere… - Posted by Paul

Posted by Paul on March 19, 2001 at 21:54:44:

How about the greater Cleveland OH area?
LOTS of new homes, construction going on here…
LOTS of older homes with elder folks seeking to
ultimately move “south” to warmer climates…
I’d personally build my RE buisness here, then
stay in FL. temporarily for the winter. (gameplan)
Also, seeking someone here to work with!

Paul Varga