Illegal to contact the executor of an estate? - Posted by mike

Posted by Jonathan-OH on April 10, 2006 at 12:43:48:

I just had a conversation last night with someone that went along these lines.

Consider the person who is making that claim and you will laugh yourself all the way to the bank.

Illegal to contact the executor of an estate? - Posted by mike

Posted by mike on April 07, 2006 at 17:06:19:

Is it illegal to send a letter to the executor or administrator of an estate regarding the potential purchase of real estate that may be liquidated by the estate (name and address of executor found in newspaper)?

I don’t think it is, but I contacted an executor and they told me it was illegal to contact the executor of an estate from a newspaper ad? Huh? What?

Could be on “Do Not Call List”… - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on April 07, 2006 at 22:52:13:

These folks could be on the Do Not Call List, and therefore your solicitation of them could make you suseptible crossing that line, and at risk of a potential fine… Not entirely sure of the boundaries on this at the moment.

The other thing is this… Executors of Estates are many times in over their heads… These are regular old Joe’s, who happen to have a legal connection to someone who recently passed away, and happened to have some assets. There may not have been any or little estate planning, the heirs could be upset with the matters at hand, or simply the fact that someone is calling about dear old Mom or Dad’s house. How COLD in the eyes of some… but they are the minority. You will find some that are tickled that you have sent you letter, or contacted them in whatever fashion.

So nothing illegal here, unless it is the Do Not Call List, and it is best not take any of it personally. Simply hang up the phone and move to the next opportunity. They are out there for sure. Suggest that you learn some about the DO Not Call List and your obligation as a solicitor, just so you know and don’t make yourself suseptible to a 10K fine…

JT-IN

It’s illegal to _____________________ - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on April 07, 2006 at 19:25:01:

Just fill in the blanks.

Whenever someone doesn’t WANT you to do something, they don’t like what your doing, or they don’t understand what you’re trying to do they always say:

“IT’S ILLEGAL TO DO _____________________”.

Do you can just fill in the space with whatever your doing. It’s surely illegal.

RL

Re: Illegal to contact the executor of an estate? - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on April 07, 2006 at 18:43:01:

No, it’s not illegal to contact an executor. The probate file is public
record, including the will. The executor has to be able handle
communications on behalf of the estate as part of his/her
responsibility.

That’s being said, it’s possible that your letter rubbed the executor the
wrong way. Not much you can do about that except let them know of
your possible interest and to please keep you in mind. Sounds like this
is a situation where a follow up letter is not a good idea. :slight_smile:

Don’t take it personally. I’ve gotten a handful of calls from
marketing in the past few years where people just went off on me.
There is no way I know of to market in such a way as to never offend
anybody…except not to send any marketing. Sincerely, Kristine