I'm being evicted in Florida, help please!!!!!!!! - Posted by Bill

Posted by GlynnTX on July 10, 2002 at 11:06:25:

Bill,
If July’s rent is the only one that is late, then you have probably been given a “pay or quit” notice.
This is not an eviction, yet. Contact the office apartment manager and explain the situation. They will have some paperwork called “eviction hold-off” or similar. You agree to pay the delinquent rent and associated late fees on a schedule acceptable to both you and the apartment manager and the move-out notice is held off so long as you perform as agreed. Your first step is to contact the apartment manager now.

I’m being evicted in Florida, help please!!! - Posted by Bill

Posted by Bill on July 10, 2002 at 10:25:16:

I have lived in the same apt. complex for 5 years and have always paid on time.
This month some unexpected expenses came up.
I got a notice today saying the eviction process has been started.
I will have the money by Saturday, but will that be too late?
What is the eviction process in Florida?
Any help would be a life saver.

Thank you.

You are being evicted? - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on July 10, 2002 at 14:37:37:

Bill,
Were you given just one notice?
And was July the ONLY month you are late with?

AS was said in another reply, contact your property manager ASAP and get the rent taken care of.

Without seeing what the landlord served you with, I can only guess.
However, I would guess that what you recieved was a 3 day notice to pay rent or give possession.
Now remember, I’m not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.
When I serve tenants with the three day notice, they are expected to pay the rent by the close of business on the third day, not including holidays and weekends.
Should the tenant fail to pay rent within the three days, we then file an eviction case with the courts, and a summons is served to the tenant.
The tenant is given by Florida law, 5 days to “Respond” to this eviction summons.
The tenant must respond in writing to the court clerks office, as well as submit the rent IN FULL plus any other fees to the court clerks registry.
Failure to do that, results in a default judgement for possession being granted.

Check with your local county clerks office to see what they require specifically, some have their own little quirks.

Bottom line Bill, get the rent to your landlord before they file, and talk to them NOW!!!
Unless you want to move out, or be thrown out.

Good luck,
Jim FL

P.S. For info on Florida landlord tenant laws, check out www.Floridalandlord.com
This gentleman has some GREAT resources available for research and study.