I'm such a sucker when faced with a good salesman - Posted by Downriver Brian

Posted by DaveD (WI) on March 04, 2006 at 10:44:48:

Approaches the price of gold per ounce :wink:

I’m such a sucker when faced with a good salesman - Posted by Downriver Brian

Posted by Downriver Brian on March 03, 2006 at 19:43:01:

It’s so true.

I’m a sucker when face to face with a good salesman. ESP if I’m getting a killer deal.

I sold cars right before getting into real estate. Now that I am in RE, wheter on the investment side of my biz, or the realtor side, I am alway selling myself.

So I appreciate a good salesperson.

Two weeks ago I went into Men’s Warehouse looking to get a new suit, two shirts, two ties. I walked out with a wardrobe. How could I not? It was SUCH a killer deal…and the entire store was catering to me. I LOVED it!

The Omaha Steak guy (or whatever company it is) stoped by yesterday…I told them to go away, but my wife was like…let me talk to them…I just want to see what they have. So they bring their in their product. They also brought in their presentation. I left the room and was working…but I heard their pitch. And it made SENSE. I WOULD be saving over $150 in meat if I bought this package. All of a sudden I emerged from my hidding place.

The guy was SO friendly too. He address my needs in every way. Each an every objection was eloquently countered with a benefit (specificly a dollar quantified savings benefit) that was just too smooth to disregard.

So now I have three months worth of Choice USDA beef frozen and in vacume pack.

I’m telling you…ya learn this selling stuff in order to be a better performer and make more money…but when you are faced with a sales master in a different trade…you are TWICE as vulnerable(esp if the deal is just CRUSHING) because you appreciate the skill of a fellow salesperson.

Re: I’m such a sucker - Posted by DCDave

Posted by DCDave on March 08, 2006 at 18:32:43:

I just read this book Influence:The Psychology of Persuasion. Boring title, but awesome book explaining what just happened to you. The author is a psych professor and was so sick of feeling like a sucker that he spent 3 years researching sales techniques, then wrote this book describing them.

I found it really helpful in my real estate dealings.

Dave Gorman
Gorman Property Group, LLC
www.gormanpropertygroup.com

salesmen are easiest to sell - Posted by Chris (WI)

Posted by Chris (WI) on March 04, 2006 at 07:12:37:

Guilty, guilty, guilty. I too am a sucker for a good pitch. I think you are right that you appreciate the skill of a fellow salesperson. I’m the one in the family always harping about the budget and being frugal and then I get a good pitch and buy more than I should and my wife just shakes her head and laughs at me. And yes, Men’s Warehouse is very good!

Yea, I got burnt on that one too - Posted by Killer Joe

Posted by Killer Joe on March 03, 2006 at 20:39:30:

DB,

Got a kick out of that post. Years ago I fell for the same meat deal. When I was putting it in my freezer I realized I had just paid $7.99 a pound for a bunch of ground beef that came with the steaks. When I got my calc out and did the math on the rest of the meat it didn’t make me feel any better, either. Won’t make that mistake twice. At least now I don’t feel like the Lone Ranger.

KJ

Re: Yea, I got burnt on that one too - Posted by Jeff

Posted by Jeff on March 06, 2006 at 08:35:57:

I hear ya. I didn’t get burned on the meat salesman, but I got burned on some natural cleaning supplies. Wound up putting $100 on a credit card for something that’s been boxed up in my basement ever since. I felt like such a tool afterwards. I even shredded the receipt just so I didn’t look at how much I burned myself for. I still cringe thinking back on it.

Jeff