I'm supposed to be doing my taxes - Posted by Karl (Oh)

Posted by Karl (Oh) on February 11, 2002 at 13:08:37:

Incredible, isn?t it?

You?re right, they could move the home themselves. That would probably be the smartest thing they could do, now that I’ve showed them where they could move it. In fact, one of their old neighbors just moved his home into this same park. I even brought this up as another option. They wouldn?t even consider it. Moving a home is no easy task, it takes a lot of money and know how. This couple just wants to load up a moving van and be done with it. Plus, the home I?m selling them is considerably nicer and roomier than their old place.

This business is all about solving people?s problems. This couple thought they had an insurmountable problem, even though the solution to you and me seems so obvious. These people are happy to pay me for providing the solution.

Karl Kleiner

I’m supposed to be doing my taxes - Posted by Karl (Oh)

Posted by Karl (Oh) on February 11, 2002 at 24:49:07:

About two weeks ago a guy called me, he said that over a year ago he had been looking for a home to buy. He was a cash buyer, but I didn?t sell homes in the area he wanted to live. So instead I just gave him some tips on how to find a good deal on a used home. He said we had talked a couple of times, I helped him get a good price on the home he finally decided to buy. I honestly don?t even remember ever talking to the guy, but he said he sure remembered me. I was the only person he could find who would share any helpful information on buying a used mobile home.

The reason for his call two weeks ago was to help a friend of his. This young couple had an old 12X60 mobile home in a park that was shutting down, they needed to sell their home, and they needed another place to live. So he called me and gave me their number, he remembered enough about my business to figure that I could help them out.

I?m currently moving a handful of old 12X60 homes into one ratty little park, trying to help the PM fill it up. This park is just a couple miles from that couple?s park. I just moved a very nice 12X60 Marlette with a big tipout in there, I figured I could sell them that home, take their home in on trade, and then move it into that same park.

I called the couple at home, and the wife answered. I told her who I was, that I had heard about their situation, and I thought I might be able to help them. I told her that I had a very nice mobile home in a nearby park that I could sell them on payments, and I could take their home in on trade. This woman about fainted. They had been looking for months for someone who could do exactly that, and had absolutely no luck. They were amazed that it was impossible to find anyone who did anything like that. (They call that a hole in the market) They had already decided that they would just have to walk away from their home, and go get an apartment somewhere.

I met them Saturday and signed the agreement. They?re buying my home for $10,500, $300 per month. I?m giving them $1000 for their home, and calling it their down payment. I have about $4k in my home, and I thought I could reasonably sell it for around $9500, given the home and the park. I just added $1k to my asking price, because the couple was so excited, and knocked it back off, so I?m really getting their home for free, and they?re getting in a home for nothing down. I figure I?ll have about $2k into their old trailer after I move it, and should be able to sell it for around $6k on a note. By the way, these little 12X60’s are the deals I’m doing with my IRA money through my property trust.

This whole deal came together because I spent 20 minutes on the phone a couple times giving free information to a guy who was going to buy someone else?s home. I keep learning that being honest and helpful is a niche in this sleazy market, and every good deed I do somehow eventually puts money in my pocket down the road. This business is absolutely amazing.

Karl Kleiner

Re: I’m supposed to be doing my taxes - Posted by Randy, OH

Posted by Randy, OH on February 11, 2002 at 11:33:39:

Karl,
Great deal, but I am confused. You say the buyer needed to sell their home because the park was shutting down. Why could they not move the home just like you are going to do? It seems like they are paying you $10,000 to move their home. I must be missing something.
Randy

Re: I’m supposed to be doing my taxes - Posted by Bushman

Posted by Bushman on February 11, 2002 at 07:49:01:

Great post Karl. Should be an inspiration to us all to do the right thing and to show us that we CAN make money while helping others.

Ultimately, if we keep in mind we are solving problems for folks, this business becomes de-mystified…

Thanks