In the Dog House! - Posted by Carlene (Maine)

Posted by Dan…IN. on November 13, 2000 at 23:21:38:

I noticed in Lonnie’s Lot Rent Agreement, it states “No Pets Allowed” Is this Lonnie’s rule or required by most MHP’s. I sold a MH in a MHP on contract and if I had not allowed pets, it would have cost me the sale. The dog was a beagle, so not too big. What are some other comments on the subject???
Thanks in advance…Dan

In the Dog House! - Posted by Carlene (Maine)

Posted by Carlene (Maine) on November 07, 2000 at 03:51:48:

I am beginning to wonder if I should add, “No big dogs allowed,” to my ad to sell a MH. So far 3 big dogs have cost me selling a really nice older home. All three owners wanted the home very much, but the park owner owns the kingdom…(One had ALL CASH! UGG)
Just thought I would post to save others the aggravation.
(My partner took the calls while I was at the workshop and forgot to ask the questions before scheduling the showing…I know that would be the best way to screen.)
Carlene

Since I live right down the street from this MH park maybe I should go in to the dog boarding business…Is that going too far for the sale? : )

Re: In the Dog House! - Posted by Steve–DC

Posted by Steve–DC on November 07, 2000 at 17:30:16:

Hi Carlene,

Being a pet owner, (two geriatric border terriers), I am familiar with the comment lament of pet owners–a lot of places do not allow pets. Anywhere from parks to rental houses, a LOT of people and places do not like large pets. In many cases it is quite understandable since they can be destructive if not properly trained.

To kind of counter this problem with large pets, why don’t you advertise for someone with small pets. Obviously not having to sell to someone with pets would be the optimal solution, but if you put out an ad that states in the title, for example, “SMALL PETS WANTED, Owners, too!”, you might get prospects that the PM will approve. Just about every veterinarian we have ever been to has a bulletin board in their office. Just ask if you can put a 3x5 card with your MH info on their bulletin board(s). If you place the cards in the vets offices that are near your MH, you might catch an apartment renter who is looking for a bit more space for themselves and their small pet(s).

Hope this helps.

Steve

Re: In the Dog House! - Posted by dave

Posted by dave on November 10, 2000 at 18:38:24:

I don’t know how it works in your state but if you have a legitimate business and you put an ad in the paper that targets people with small dogs that is considered discriminatory and illegal. I don’t know who catches you but the fines are huge. I would check on it…

Re: In the Dog House! - Posted by dandrews

Posted by dandrews on November 10, 2000 at 22:18:53:

landlords do have to accept pets in Maine. I know–I am a lanlord in Maine! email dandrews@megalink.net and we will talk. I would like to know where you are from, etc.