increased taxes - Posted by Deborah Castleberry

Posted by Ironmanfla on September 02, 2003 at 06:36:43:

Debbie,

Although they raised the assessed value of your property, I think they are limited by as to how much your actual taxes can be raised with the homestead. I am pretty sure they can only be increased by a certain percentage. If you sold your home, the new buyer would be paying based on the much higher value.

I am not sure how it works, but you may need to file some kind of paperwork to put the cap in place. I am not positive, but you may also need be some age requirements ie over 55 yrs old.

Good luck, and I hope that helps.

increased taxes - Posted by Deborah Castleberry

Posted by Deborah Castleberry on August 29, 2003 at 14:32:47:

We purchased a home in a mobile home retirement community in 2002. This year our assessed value increased by more than $15,000 which almost doubled our taxes. We were told this can be done when a home is sold. I would like to know if this is legal and should we pursue this with an attorney. We live in Polk County Florida.

Re: increased taxes - Posted by Ironmanfla

Posted by Ironmanfla on August 30, 2003 at 16:20:22:

Deb,

Do you rent the lot in the community, or do you own it? Also, is this your primary residence? I am not sure how it works with mobiles, but on houses you can get a homestead exemption. The Florida Statute is known as the “Save our Homes” act, which sets limits on how much your taxes can be increased annually.

I don’t think you need an atty yet, just go down to your county tax office and explain the situation. I hope that helps.

Re: increased taxes - Posted by Deborah Castleberry

Posted by Deborah Castleberry on September 01, 2003 at 16:21:24:

We own our lot and we do have homestead exemption. We have talked to the county tax office and were told they can raise the assessment when a home is sold. We were told, because of the building going on around us, a sales analysis could be done and the assessed value raised.

Debbie