Infomercial courses....do they work? - Posted by Allen

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on September 15, 2003 at 12:40:49:

Allen-------------

“…are the opportunities actually out there or are the good opportunities few and far between?” There is no “or” here. Both parts of your question are true.

There is no system of property buying that will work everytime. Except maybe to offer full price on MLS listed properties. Then you will not be buying good deals, you will just be buying a lot of properties at market value or over.

Very few properties which are sold are good deals. Thus any good deal buying system will require pulling in lots of properties for “looking at” or “consideration.” These are the candidatates for purchasing. Then it should allow you to efficiently eliminate virtually all of the candidates, to concentrate better on the likely deals.

The infomercials accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative. They will do this whether or not their systems are any better than other systems for buying. But it seems you are wise enough to know better than to believe all the hype.

Even though I recommend John Beck’s program, I feel that the infomercial makes statements that make it seem easier than it is to do what he describes. However, what he describes is possible to do. It will never be as easy as the infomercial makes it seem.

Good InvestingRon Starr*******

Infomercial courses…do they work? - Posted by Allen

Posted by Allen on September 14, 2003 at 19:59:16:

i’m interested in how many of you out there are success stories for any of these courses? Do they work?

What advice would you give me? What is the clearest and most eddective course to purchase or are they all a bunch of BS??

Re: Infomercial courses…do they work? - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on September 15, 2003 at 09:30:03:

Allen----------------

Sounds like you are making a common mistake. There are no courses that “work.” They just contain ideas and suggestions about how you can operate to make money with real estate. You have to understand what you read, you need to study a lot more than just one course, and you have to put out the effort to make deals that make sense to you.

I am a tax sales investor and am doing fine. I do recommend John Beck’s “Free and Clear” materials if you want to learn a lot about tax sales and tax liens. You can buy it from the infomercials or from John directly at www.johnbeck.net website. Whether it will work for you, I have no idea.

It turns out that it DOES NOT WORK UNIFORMLY, in every county every year. It works in some, not others. And over time there will be differences, with some counties being good and the next year being poor. There may be some counties that may be good for many years, depending upon your goals. For instance I have been able to buy at least one house in four of the last five years in one county. The first year I was not well organizeed, had too little time, and did not see all the properties. I was not able to buy in that county that year. However, I did buy one in an adjoining county that first year so worked the area again.

Good Investing***********Ron Starr****************

Re: Infomercial courses…do they work? - Posted by Allen

Posted by Allen on September 15, 2003 at 10:19:34:

Thanks for the reply

Of course I understand that “results may vary”. I also understand that you only get back what is put in.

I guess my question should have been, if these courses give unrealistic promises…are the opportunities actually out there or are the good opportunities few and far between?