Inner city homeowners insurance, NJ - Posted by KA

Posted by IB (NJ) on August 11, 2003 at 08:44:34:

Hi Dave. I’ve heard a lot about NJM. What kind of rates are you getting? Are they competetive? I hear they also do car insurance.

Inner city homeowners insurance, NJ - Posted by KA

Posted by KA on August 10, 2003 at 09:18:34:

I own a bunch of properties in the urban area’s of NJ. I am having a problem with my homeowners insurance, my agent has me with surplus lines which is very expensive. Ontop of that they are busting my chops about making repairs or what they call “recomendations”. I realize there is a greater risk in the urban area’s but I am sure there is a company out there that someone is using that is not surplus lines. BTW- My agent dosen’t do alot of business in the urban area’s, if someone could provide a contact/ agent that they use that would be great. The area’s I am talking about are Newark, East Orange, Plainfield. NJ.

Thanks,

Kevin

Re: Inner city homeowners insurance, NJ - Posted by Dave

Posted by Dave on August 11, 2003 at 04:52:13:

Try New Jersey Manufactures(NJM) in Trenton NJ. :o) I use them.(609)883-1300

Good Luck!

DT

I also use Raritan Valley Ins. - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on August 10, 2003 at 19:51:27:

but not for my rentals. Gary Stangel’s number is (908) 788-2051 Ext.223

I usually use Gary for my rehabs (vacant/fire only policies) and State Farm for my rentals.

Try this guy… - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on August 10, 2003 at 09:43:37:

Gary Stengel at Raritan Valley Insurance Services in Flemington. I don’t have the number handy but try 411. Tell him Ben sent you. He may be able to help but the fact is the market for this type of property is getting extremely tight. I also had a ridiculous “recommendation” to scrape and paint existing trim on the wood exterior of a house I own in Plainfield. Although this was purely cosmetic and totally unnecessary I complied and hired someone to do it (cost me $2500). Although the work was IN PROGRESS it was not “completed” by the insurance company’s deadline, and they cancelled the policy! I completely raised hell with them saying the a-hole inspector must have seen ladders, scaffolding and paint materials all over the goddam property but still decided to cancel it! After I let them know I was an attorney and used a few choice words like “bad faith” they begrudgingly reinstated the policy. I always feel they are ready to dump me at a heartbeat though no matter what hoops I jump through. Insurance companies are higher maintenance than any girl I’ve ever dated! Good luck.