Inspections of wiring and/or plumbing additions - Posted by Scott (ATL)

Posted by Steve-Atl on May 04, 2000 at 17:46:21:


It depends on the jurisdiction having authority. If its the city of Atlanta, its different than the city of Decatur. The only way to know is to ask the building inspections department of the appropriate jurisdiction.

I am an architect and have found the varying requirements maddening. I found its a good idea before the project begins to go visit the inspectors and ask them whats required. Don’t mention a specific project, but ask hypothetical questions. It may change what you will want to do with the renovation.

Regarding the insurance question, I don’t know. Sorry


Inspections of wiring and/or plumbing additions - Posted by Scott (ATL)

Posted by Scott (ATL) on May 04, 2000 at 17:13:12:

I’m a little unclear as to the requirements for inspections or rehab work. If we add new electrical outlets or plumbing (new bathroom) to an existing structure does the work have to get “inspected” by the county/city/state? I’ve heard that only new additions to the electrical panel or new wiring in an “addition” requires an inspection.

From a different angle, lets say I buy a house where a previous owner did some new wiring and plumbing and they didn’t get it inspected. If the house burns while under my ownership and the insurance company determines that faulty wiring caused the fire and it happens to be in a part of the house that the previous owner “modified”. Could my insurance company tell me “tough luck” the work here wasn’t inspected and it was incorrect so we’re not paying.

And from one more angle…If the insurance company denied me could I try to recoup the cost from the previous owner?

I realize each state might have different laws but what is the general rule of thumb for these hypothetical issues?

Old Atlanta Renovators

Re: Inspections of wiring and/or plumbing additions - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on May 05, 2000 at 12:37:36:

You know those non-grounded outlets that are in most old houses. It is against the National Electric Code to replace them with grounded outlets without putting in the ground wire. Of course the cost is $.38 vs $2.78 for the non grounded outlets. While the inspector won’t get involved in something like that what can happen is the FHA or private inspector will detect it and you have a defect that can cost to fix or delay closing.

If you contract out that work you can put in the contract that they are responsible for permits. Most rehabers try to avoid permits if the can but they shouldn’t. When you buy put in the contract about code and check with the local permit office to see what permits have been pulled in the last 10 years or so. It is also a good renegotiating point if you do find something that hasn’t been permited.