Insurance Co.'s keep dropping me. HELP!!!! - Posted by Lora

Posted by Ron (MD) on November 26, 2000 at 19:15:32:

Hector,

Judging by your astute questions and comments, you appear to be quite the expert on property/casualty insurers.

Zurich is by a significant margin the biggest insurer of contractors and homebuilders in the U.S.

Ron Guy

Insurance Co.'s keep dropping me. HELP!!! - Posted by Lora

Posted by Lora on November 26, 2000 at 17:00:37:

I just bought a house over the summer which needs A LOT of repairs. I want to eventually use it as a rental property. My first insurance company dropped me a month ago because of petty things they complained about that had actually been repaired before I was dropped. They still dropped me because no one is living in the house.

The second company signed me up immediately a month ago, I was so relieved. My first policy hasn’t even been cancled yet and I get a notice in the mail that my 2nd policy will be cancelled a month later. They say my house is still old.

UGH!

I don’t know what to do. I guess I should just get dwelling insurance. Does anyone have suggestions of websites I can go to who can help me find a company that will insure older homes? Or where I can get decent dwelling insurance?

I’m so frustrated!!!

Thanks!

Re: Insurance Co.'s keep dropping me. HELP!!! - Posted by TC

Posted by TC on November 27, 2000 at 10:19:04:

Laura,Definatly check into Zurich.Ben enlighten me to contact my agent to find that they will insure rehabs.

ARP of below 65k it will cost me $250 for the year.

I agree with Robert… - Posted by Carol

Posted by Carol on November 26, 2000 at 18:46:03:

about finding an agent … then let the agent worry about finding the proper company.
Carol

Zurich - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by Ron (MD) on November 26, 2000 at 18:14:35:

Lora,

Look for an independent agent that represents Zurich Insurance. I pay $275-$300 per year to insure fixer-uppers I’m working on. This is a builders’ risk policy written with rehabbers/remodelers in mind.

Ron Guy

Try these guys! - Posted by CArl

Posted by CArl on November 26, 2000 at 17:30:19:

Call 1-800 TITAN-UP They’ll insure anybody!

CArl

Don’t do them guys! - Posted by Hector

Posted by Hector on November 26, 2000 at 18:45:36:

Better off using the bigger names. Zurich? Are they new or what? Never heard of them!

Hector

Wait a Minute! - Posted by TC

Posted by TC on November 26, 2000 at 23:34:54:

Zurich is a very big name in the underwriting.But from my understanding they will not underwrite on rehabs.I beleive that falls under a vacancy policy.

I do stand to be corrected if anyone can tell me any different.

Hector WHERE have you been?? - Posted by Ben

Posted by Ben on November 26, 2000 at 20:59:35:

Zurich is VERY big and very well respected in the underwriting industry!! They’re HUGE!!

Ben