Interpretation of Statute re:MH License - Posted by Lynn

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on March 03, 2002 at 06:30:34:

You need this license. The DMV needs to issue it. Their opinion that MH’s are real property is incorrect as a generality and also irrelevant. Talk to someone with a clue on up the chain.

John Hyre

Interpretation of Statute re:MH License - Posted by Lynn

Posted by Lynn on March 02, 2002 at 15:10:56:

Please help me if you can make any sense of this.I am trying to set up my “Lonnie” business properly but can’t seem to find anyone in this state who has a clue.

The CT Statute, Chapter 412, Sec 21-67 reads as follows(partially):
e) The department shall annually issue a mobile manufactured home seller’s license to any person who, on October 1, 1992, has a valid Department of Motor Vehicles dealers’ and repairers’ license under which the licensee has engaged in the sale or resale of mobile manufactured homes. The mobile manufactured home seller’s license shall allow the licensee, or any of his employees, to sell new or used mobile manufactured homes. The mobile manufactured home seller’s license shall be issued annually after payment of an annual licensing fee of three hundred dollars. No person, except a person licensed or specifically exempted under chapter 392, shall act as a real estate broker or a real estate agent for the resale of a mobile manufactured home without a license issued pursuant to this subsection.
It appears to me that I would only need to be licensed if I were acting as a “broker”. Is that a correct assumption? If not then I would have to get a dealers/repairers license from the DMV,as mentioned in the above sec.,and they have already responded to me that MH’s are treated as real estate in CT.
Also I found a section on the DMV site dealing with the issue of operating without a "Dealer/Repairer license " and it stated that there was “no set limit on the number of vehicles which can be sold by a PERSON without a dealer/repairer license BUT a license is required for a person engaged in the BUSINESS of buying,selling,repairing or offering any motor vehicle for sale or brokerage”.
So my confusion comes from the fact that the DMV says MH’s are real estate but the statutes say I may have to get a motor vehicle dealer license to sell them. Right???Wrong???
What??? Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me.

Lynn(CT)