INVESTMENT IDEAS NEEDED - Posted by Craig

Posted by craig on February 06, 2002 at 14:19:13:

Many thanks to all of you who took the time to respond. It’s been a wake-up call. We are now reading up and looking for ways to structure an offer on a home for us which leaves the bulk of cash with which to do some RE investing for a few years. It’s exciting to be looking at buildings with an investor’s eye again… although as my wife and I noticed, one never stops that habit! …So glad to find this site. Thanks again…Craig

INVESTMENT IDEAS NEEDED - Posted by Craig

Posted by Craig on February 04, 2002 at 24:11:11:

We need advice. We got out of our rehabbing work when children came along and got a job and house we upgraded for 8 years. We’ve just moved cross-country to a new job, and sold the house for a healthy profit. The temptation is to plunk it all down for the decent house we’ve long dreamed of. But we realize that capital could be used to further us along towards our goal of more freedom. The big Q is: what to do with our capital to earn a better return than the stock mkt.? We are still raising 3 boys so we don’t have lots of spare time such as a new biz might need. Venture capital maybe? We realize we should prob. bite the bullet and rent for a couple of years to keep the money freed up. Or is there a way we could creatively structure the purchase of the appropriate home and still keep some cash free to invest? Perhaps there is a resource of investment/entreprenuerial ideas you might suggest. Any help gratefully received. Thank you!

Re: INVESTMENT IDEAS NEEDED - Posted by Al-So Cal

Posted by Al-So Cal on February 04, 2002 at 17:19:47:

My last 3 flips were over 700% profit each because of
great buys and an increasing market.
Suggest you give yourself time and find great deals
for 2 to 3 years and then buy home.

Re: INVESTMENT IDEAS NEEDED - Posted by Gerald-DC

Posted by Gerald-DC on February 04, 2002 at 11:07:08:

Why not look to lease/purchase a home to live in? If you structure the terms correctly, you can really come out ahead of the game.(No closing costs, rental credits, low down payments, etc…)

The key is to find a motivated seller in an area you want to live in to accept your terms. Of course you want to put in as little option consideration as possible and get as much rental credit as possible.

HTH

Re: INVESTMENT IDEAS NEEDED - Posted by Utah Investor

Posted by Utah Investor on February 04, 2002 at 08:41:20:

You have a lot of options, that is for sure. But with this crowd, we are all going to recommend you do it in Real Estate. The returns are as-great of better than the Stock Market, and it’s SAFE.

I would recommend doing Real Estate Investments, either foreclosures or being a Hard Money Lender. Picking up Foreclosures could doulbe your money in a year. Loaning out you money is less time & effort and a good 18 - 25% rate of return. I do a mixture of both.

Good Investing

Re: INVESTMENT IDEAS NEEDED - Posted by Steve-DC

Posted by Steve-DC on February 04, 2002 at 07:44:03:

If you’ve got cash and real estate experience, stick with what you know.

How about be a private lender?

Good return and real estate related.

-Steve

Re: INVESTMENT IDEAS NEEDED - Posted by Ian (Honolulu)

Posted by Ian (Honolulu) on February 04, 2002 at 02:33:48:

In terms of growing your capital… there are many options. Many different gurus will recommend different approaches as I’m sure you know. Depending on the area, maybe you could make downpayments on a few houses and rent them out for some positive cash flow and let your equity grow. Just one suggestion from many possibilities. In terms of your own home and wanting to save some money, have you considered a lease with an option to buy? It should minimize your initial cash outlay while still allowing you to have a roof over your head. Just a few suggestions… you have the money which is the hard part.

-Ian

Re: INVESTMENT IDEAS NEEDED - Posted by Tony Dali

Posted by Tony Dali on February 04, 2002 at 12:53:11:

I plan to very shortly go into full time RE investing including lending as i’ll have a sizeable amount of cash to work with. My question is, where do you find 18-25% rates of return? who borrows at those rates outside of mobile homes? …Thanks

Re: INVESTMENT IDEAS NEEDED - Posted by Tony Dali

Posted by Tony Dali on February 04, 2002 at 12:52:37:

I plan to very shortly go into full time RE investing including lending as i’ll have a sizeable amount of cash to work with. My question is, where do you find 18-25% rates of return? who borrows at those rates outside of mobile homes? …Thanks