Irene and Mike Milin...they still around? - Posted by SPM

Posted by SPM on December 11, 1998 at 11:30:07:

Hi, HR,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I’ve heard of Mr. Landlord, but only glanced at his site before. I’ll have to take a closer look.

Regards,
SPM

Irene and Mike Milin…they still around? - Posted by SPM

Posted by SPM on December 09, 1998 at 19:54:10:

Hi,

I’ve been reading the book, “How To Buy & Manage Rental Properties”, by Irene and Mike Milin.

Although this is an excellent book about managing properties, it is far out of date about acquiring them. They recommend looking for properties that have assumable FHA or VA loans on them; assumable loans will probably have lower interets rates, the book says; “old” loans might be at 8 or 9% interest, whereas new loans would be about 12-14%. This book was written shortly before everything changed, and new loans were no longer assumable by just anyone; most loans now, if they are assumable, are available only to owner-occupants.

I’m curious if these authors are still around today, and if they might have a revised version of this book. It would be interesting to hear how they acquire properties now, in the late '90’s.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
SPM

Re: Irene and Mike Milin…they still around? - Posted by Brian W(IN)

Posted by Brian W(IN) on December 11, 1998 at 09:23:48:

I just purchased the updated version of their “How to Buy and Manage Rental Properties”, copywrighted in 1998 at Waldenbooks.

Other Landlord Book Suggestions? - Posted by SPM

Posted by SPM on December 10, 1998 at 09:50:51:

Thanks for your comments, guys.

Wow, Jerusalem…quite a move. But I suppose you can do that if you make it in this business like they did.

Any other suggestions for Landlord books? Specifically, it would be nice to read how someone might acquire properties more creatively today, in the late '90s.

Up here in the northeast, it’s a very tight market. Properties are available, but it’s difficult to find ones that can be had for less than 10% down…at the very least 5%, but you have to really dig to find those.

Sellers might help with closing costs, or possibly 5% financing, but it’s like pulling teeth; they know they don’t necessarily have to do that; there are other buyers here.

Anyone else in CT? Let’s talk; please send me an email.

Regards,
SPM

Check the Holy Land - Posted by John J.

Posted by John J. on December 10, 1998 at 24:18:01:

Albert Lowry told me that they had retired and moved to Jerusalem.

Re: Irene and Mike Milin…they still around? - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on December 09, 1998 at 20:44:05:

I think their acquisition techniques are outdated also. But their management techniques are some of the best I ever read. Don’t know where they are now.

Updated Version? - Posted by SPM

Posted by SPM on December 11, 1998 at 11:22:19:

Hi, Brian,

You did? Cool. I have to fight the crowds at the mall tomorrow, so I’ll definately stop in to Waldenbooks and have a look.

Meanwhile, can you give me a hint? How do they recommend acquiring properties in the late '90’s? 5% to 10% down? :wink:

Strange…the updated 1998 version is not found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobles websites; just the 1988 version.

Thanks,
SPM

Mr. Landlord - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on December 11, 1998 at 07:31:33:

SPM,

Check out Jeffrey Taylor’s materials offered here and at www.mrlandlord.com. His stuff is really great. He consistently opens my eyes about how how to landlord more professionally to gain, as he says, greater cash flow, control and tenant cooperation. Great stuff.

I also like Nolo Press’ book on Every Landlord’s Legal Guide. A great value at around $30.

Good luck! Cheers,

HR

WHOOOOOPPPPPS - Posted by Brian W(IN)

Posted by Brian W(IN) on December 11, 1998 at 12:49:45:

My mistake SPM. I guess you are right. I must have misread the copywright text. The version/book that I have is actually copywrighted in 1988. If you need more information on how to acquire properties for 5-10% or less, check out the Books/Courses section of this site and you will find more than enough information that can be purchased. Also, if you become an Insider’s Member(for free of course), you will receive 10% off every item that you order from this site. Good luck.