Is home inspection worth it??? - Posted by Robert

Posted by JPiper on January 09, 1999 at 02:47:08:

For a property of that particular age I would highly recommend that at a minimum you hire an inspector, especially since you’re new. I would also suggest that to get an inspector with some experience in inspecting older properties.

The other alternative is to hire contractors who specialize in specific areas of concern, like structural engineer, electrical contractor, etc.

Understand that older homes can be quite expensive to repair if you overlook something. One job typically leads to 10 other jobs. Be careful.

JPiper

Is home inspection worth it??? - Posted by Robert

Posted by Robert on January 08, 1999 at 23:31:40:

My wife and I are new at this and are in the process of investing in our 2nd rental property. Our question is, is it worth it to have a home inspection. The property were considering it for is a 4 flat built in 1873.

Thanks

Re: Is home inspection worth it??? - Posted by Cathryn

Posted by Cathryn on January 09, 1999 at 18:24:56:

A comment I’d like to make…it would be well worth your while to learn enough about home inspections so that you can at least eliminate the obviously bad houses. That way, you’re paying a home inspector only to check the really good possiblities, (and you’d want that inspection, because a little study won’t make you expert enough to know about hidden?and potentially expensive?flaws) not everything that comes along.

For instance, just knowing to check for aluminum wiring (which anyone can do) might make the difference between a deciding if a property is worth fixing or is too costly.

A book that’s very thorough and easy to read is “The Complete Book of Home Inspection” by Norman Becker. You can probably find it at amazon.com or at a big store like Barnes % Noble.

Have you seen “This Old House?” - Posted by Soapymac

Posted by Soapymac on January 09, 1999 at 09:57:42:

The current series of shows is describing the re-build of an older home in the Boston area that was purchased for in access of $600,000 and the owners DID NOT inspect for termites…something that a building inspector worth their salt would have done.

I believe this series is about eight shows long SO FAR, and HALF of those shows have been showing THE REPAIRS made necessary because of these little critters.

Jim Piper is dead-on. Get the inspection.

Cordially,

Roy MacLean
“Soapymac”