Is it legal to use a P.O. Box for a businesss address? - Posted by Nariah

Posted by Rob FL on June 15, 1999 at 20:19:41:

Check out www.postalwatch.org. They are trying to fight these regulations. A joint resolution has been entered in the U.S. house of representatives. H.J Res. 55

Is it legal to use a P.O. Box for a businesss address? - Posted by Nariah

Posted by Nariah on June 15, 1999 at 12:04:33:

I know I don’t want to use my home address, but I thought I remembered someone saying that the IRS does not view a p.o. box as a legal business address anymore. Please advise. Thanks.

Why not…the BIG guys do! - Posted by Hugh James

Posted by Hugh James on June 16, 1999 at 20:35:14:

My bank does! As do the electric and gas companies…and the telephone company too. As a matter of fact, Ameritech (the phone company - I’m in Chicago) has no other business address for the public (us peons) other than a post office box and an 800 number. At least with the gas and electric utilites I can still go in, have a seat, and talk in person about my problems. The phone company doesn’t even want to see me any more, and their bills seem to have gone up more than anybody elses. I guess we’re all as good as the big guys…I say we all go out and sign up for postal boxes and 800 numbers and declare ourselves in the big leagues with the big wheels!

Re: Is it legal to use a P.O. Box for a businesss address? - Posted by Frank A (WI)

Posted by Frank A (WI) on June 15, 1999 at 17:28:06:

I use a box from Mailbox Ect. and have had no problems up til now.

But recently the Postal Service decided they wanted to get out of the practice of delivering mail by address and deliver by name instead.

They also want everyone with a mailbox from Mailbox Ect. to be obligated to indicate that their address is a mailbox and not a street address with a suite #.

I guess the post office was losing to much money to it’s mailbox competitor.

So in Oct. 1999, all mail sent to a mailbox with a suite # could be refused delivery and sent back to sender.

Be sure to check with local postal regulations so you don’t lose valuable docs.

Frank A (WI)
Former postal employee

Re: Is it legal to use a P.O. Box for a businesss address? - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on June 15, 1999 at 15:04:48:

I use a PO Box for my business address and get my IRS stuff through it.