Is the civility gone? - Posted by John Behle

John Behle , You’re A Class Act - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on April 24, 2006 at 20:11:36:

And thanks for contributing over the years.

Re: Do you think its partly the medium? - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on April 24, 2006 at 17:37:51:

John, you certainly make some valuable points. As a long-time participant here – although, not much, the past couple years – I agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts about civility and communication.

I think it’s partly a reflection of human nature these days. The entitlement attitude is widespread. I see this every day in my profession (medicine) as well as in various on-line communities. This one is no exception. More and more people seem to feel they’re entitled to what they want, and civility be dam#ed. Respect is non-existant…it’s all about “me”. It’s unfortunate, but probably here to stay, unless our society undergoes some visceral changes in attitudes and expectations.

Having said that, I think – although I know you said you weren’t responding to a particular post or individual – the original poster, Mr. Croswell, did have a valid point. Unfortunately, he was attacked for presenting an unpopular position, and subsequently responded in a defensive manner and began insulting other respondents, and the content deteriorated from there.

As you note, this is all too easy to accomplish in a medium lacking face to face communication. Funny thing is, much of what I learned about CRE I learned from this website…and more than a little from you.

But that was back a number of years ago, when civil exchange was the rule, and not the exception.

I recall attending a CRE convention in Atlanta some time ago, and riding in the shuttle van to the airport after the convention. I just happenned to board at the same time as folks like Phil Fernandez and Hugh Bromma, among others whom I don’t recall. I remember much of the conversation enroute to the airport was about you, and the regret that your health issues at the time didn’t allow you more participation in the CRE community.

I just want to say that I, as do countless others here, appreciate your contributions and wisdom. When reading one of your posts, I will admit I do have that nostalgic feeling of the face-to-face encounters of the past, even though we’ve never met.

Brian (NY)

Well Said Steve nt - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on April 24, 2006 at 20:23:05:

nt

Hey Brian, I Remember That Ride To The Airport - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on April 24, 2006 at 20:15:21:

It was about 4 years ago or so.

Re: Do you think its partly the medium? - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on April 24, 2006 at 19:04:40:

I just about passed out at the last CRE convention I was at. For years I was able to hide it well. I could stand up and hold on to the podium and fake that it was all ok. That last convention it was very evident I was holding on for dear life.

I don’t know what kind of medicine you are in, but if you run into people with severe Atrial Fibrillation, it can be fixed. About a year after that last convention I was able to have a “MAZE procedure” and the irregular heartbeat was gone forever. I don’t believe I would have lived another year without it.

This will be the first time I’ve been back to the convention since that last time in 2000 and I am looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones. I’ve seen your posts for years and would love to meet you. About the time you first posted, I was doing some business with a Renfrow in my area who is an appraiser, so the name jumped out at me. Please introduce yourself to me and maybe we can grab some lunch.

Hurray! Someone Gets It! - Posted by Ed Croswell

Posted by Ed Croswell on April 24, 2006 at 18:08:18:

Thank you Brian for being open-minded enough to see the point I was trying to make.

Sure doesn’t say much for the boss and their consiglieres in attacking another point of view. I wonder if the folks think the same of Mr. JT after his unnecessary and vicious attacks on me yesterday.

Thank you again for standing up and supporting the expression of another point of view.

Re: Hey Brian, I Remember That Ride - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on April 24, 2006 at 22:47:18:

Yep…as I remember, you and your buddies managed to get bumped right away from your return flight, and returned to the hotel for more revelry…err…education, while those of us not so fortunate headed home!

Brian (NY)

Re: Do you think its partly the medium? - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on April 24, 2006 at 22:53:44:

Thanks for the kind words. I won’t be making it to the convention this year, but hopefully in 2007.

I’m familiar with the Maze procedure…one of the few operative procedures in medicine with a success rate reported up to 100%.

Glad you’re doing well.

Brian (NY)

I disagree - Posted by J B

Posted by J B on April 24, 2006 at 22:42:22:

Ed, I disagree with everything you say, have said and will say.