Is there a lobbyist who gets our side out??? - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on January 17, 2000 at 08:18:37:

Thanks a million Rob.

-Chris

Is there a lobbyist who gets our side out??? - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on January 17, 2000 at 04:20:17:

Hello everyone-

I noticed that there seems to be a lot of legislation being created in various states and at the federal level that is not in RE Investor’s best interest. One example is the tax bill that had a lot of posts recently on this newsgroup.

We seem to luck out some of the time like we did for this one.

This makes me curious. Who is sending our side of the story to the elected officials at the state and federal level? Do we have lobbyists like most special interest groups have such as the AARP(American Association of Retired Persons), ARA(American Rifle Association),etc.

If so, who is it?

-Thanks for enlightening me, Chris

Re: Is there a lobbyist who gets our side out??? - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on January 17, 2000 at 08:07:07:

One of the biggest lobbyists, although they don’t represent investors is the National Association of Realtors (NAR). They have a very huge lobby. They generally are out to protect themselves and the rights of their clients – buyers, owners, and sellers.

They also have a heavy lobby on the state level. Around here, every time the Florida Association of Realtors lobbies for a bill, the bill almost always passes with flying colors.

Re: Is there a lobbyist who gets our side out??? - Posted by Glenn OH

Posted by Glenn OH on January 17, 2000 at 14:07:09:

As badly as most Realtors act about CRE, that should probably scare the h*ll out of us. With the stock market, there has been a big movement, especially with the NASDAQ, to open the system up to everyone. With the “dealer” IRS designatioon, the state “MH dealer” laws, restrictive zoning on MHP’s at the local level, we definitely need to open real estate up more for us “little guys” to do business without the interference of the government, especially if we are making housing more affordable for our buyers.