Is this a common tenant scam? - Posted by Mike

Posted by Bert G on December 08, 1999 at 11:39:41:

Non Scriptum, Non Est. If it isn’t written, it doesn’t exist. Unless there is some written record of the extra deposit, I wouldn’t sweat it. As long as the entire security deposit account was turned over to the new owner, it should be OK. (You DID have it in a separate account I hope.)

Incidentally, most rental guhrus advise having the deposit NOT equal to one month’s rent.

BG

Is this a common tenant scam? - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on December 08, 1999 at 09:34:09:

About a month ago I sold a 2-unit bldg. to another investor. For the 6 months that I owned the property, I used a property manager to manage to bldg. I received a copy of the lease and it showed the monthly rent as well as 1 month’s rent as a deposit with both the manager and the tenant’s signature on it. This morning I received a call from the person I sold the property to and the tenant wanted to make sure that his entire deposit has been transferred to the new owner. The problem is that the tenant claims his deposit is one month rent plus an additional $1000 because he had bad credit.

Now, it would be great if I could just call the manager up and ask him if this is true, but he skipped town on me and I have no way to get in touch with him. Naturally, I’m very reluctant to fork over an extra $1000, so we’re making the tenant find a receipt he claims to have when he moved in proving this. Is this a common scam among the rental community? If so, it’s a new one to me.

Thanks.