Is this deal too skinny? - Posted by Carmine - Vegas

Posted by Carmine - Vegas on February 05, 2002 at 16:27:15:

Peter

Your right…I forgot. The house was built in 1966 so it is pretty old. The roof was replaced about 1.5 years ago and everything else seems in pretty good condition other than what I mentioned in my above post.

The current house I am looking at is over on the east side of town…and for repairs I was guessing around 10k total. A friend of mine told me it would be about $3,500 to resurface the pool, and maybe $6,500 to recarpet the house and fix the windows and repaint the trim.

I was originally thinking I could take it sub2 and L/O it out with a mortgage broker friend of mine helping my T/B along in getting financed. I was getting pretty excited about the deal until he told me both mortgages were at 13%…you’re right ouch.

Email me! I’ll buy you dinner and pick your brain on getting started in REI! hehe

cwhite@nevp.com
Thank you for your reply
Carmine

Is this deal too skinny? - Posted by Carmine - Vegas

Posted by Carmine - Vegas on February 05, 2002 at 11:24:43:

Hello everyone, this is my first potential deal and I was wondering if you think it is too skinny to actually work out.

A guy called on one of my ads and said that he needs to sell his house as soon as possible, and here is the information on the deal:

FMV - 150k

4bd/2.5ba 2100sf

1st mortgage - 108,700
payment PI - $1280.50/month

2nd mortgage - 9,600
payment PI - $167.87/month

$5,000 owed in back property taxes

Needs recarpeting, and the pool needs to be resurfaced, 2 doors and a window need to be replaced. Also the home’s trim needs to be repainted.

The interest on the 2 mortgages are both 13%…the guy is willing to give me the property sub2 but I think I might get royally screwed if I took it sub2 plus having to do the repairs plus taking over the payments at a really high interest rate.

This is the first house I’ve ever even looked at…so I might be looking at it wrong. I figured I could post a question here and someone might be able to help me. This is an awesome forum…thanks for your help.

Carmine

Re: Is this deal too skinny? - Posted by JFinke KC

Posted by JFinke KC on February 05, 2002 at 17:01:28:

Carmine,

Have you talked to your mortgage broker friend about refinancing the property after you take it sub2? I don’t know how your credit is,but if you could take it sub2 and immediately refinance at 80% LTV which would be $120k and significantly lower your payments, if you could get 90% LTV that would be $135k and could pay off the back taxes and some repairs. Payments for $120k at 7% on a 30 yr note would be $798.36; $135k payment would be $898.16 both quite a bit lower than the $1448.37 currently being paid.

What do rents go for in this area? If you cannot refinance, will the area support a $1500+/month rent for a lease/option? If you can refinance what can you get for rent?

If you can refinance and your comps of $150k are correct, you could sell on a lease/option for $155-158K with a $1000-1200 per month payment and maybe $5000 down as option consideration.

If you refi for $135k and sell at $155k with $1200/month payments here are you profits:

$5000 up front
$300/ month cashflow
$15000 upon sale

Keep in mind that this is a SPECULATIVE EXAMPLE. I do not know what the market will bear in your area or how your credit is. If your credit sucks and you cannot refi maybe your mortgage broker friend with partner with you for a share of the equity.

Good Luck,

JFinke KC

Re: Is this deal too skinny? - Posted by Bashir

Posted by Bashir on February 05, 2002 at 15:57:07:

If you can figure the other problems out, there is about 32000 dollars worth of equity in the property. These are some of the best people to ask on this site:

1. Steve Cook
  2. J.P. Vaughn
  3. John Boy
  4. William Bronchick
  5. Jim Piper
  6. Joe Kaiser

Ask these people for good advice.

Re: Is this deal too skinny? - Posted by Peter in Vegas

Posted by Peter in Vegas on February 05, 2002 at 15:52:28:

Carmine
You didn’t say how old the house is . Do you have a repair estimate? What part of town? I am doing sub2’s in Vegas,but have not run across 13% yet .ouch! Also what is your exit strategy?

Re: Is this deal too skinny? - Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA)

Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA) on February 06, 2002 at 16:51:00:

I am with JFinke on this one, can you refinance it to lower that 13% down to about 7%?

Double check the numbers and the comps, and check the mortgages for any pre-payment penalties that may be attached.

Re: Is this deal too skinny? - Posted by Carmine - Vegas

Posted by Carmine - Vegas on February 05, 2002 at 16:28:46:

You’re right Bashir. I’ve been lurking here for the past month or so and I am impressed with the wealth of knowledge available here. I was hoping one of them would see my post and respond…

Thanks for the reply
Carmine