It's Your Future - Posted by Lonnie

Posted by Lonnie on January 09, 1999 at 06:29:37:

Hi Jerry,

You?re so right. Attitude, more than anything else, is the key to a successful life. We all need inspiration from time to time, and if I?ve been able to help in any way, you?re more than welcome.

Best wishes,

Lonnie

It’s Your Future - Posted by Lonnie

Posted by Lonnie on January 08, 1999 at 10:06:22:

The Choice Is Yours

I came across some interesting figures put out by the Bureau of Statistics and the IRS. Thought maybe some of you would find them interesting also. Here are some of those statistics.

Twelve percent of Americans over 65 are living, or trying to live, on incomes of less than $5,000. Only 4% of people over 65 have annual incomes of $30,000 or more, and only 3% have incomes over $50,000. The average annual salary of a full time worker, with a high school education, is $24,180 ($11.63 hr). For a full time worker without a high school education, it?s $16,848 ($8.10 hr.)

It goes on to say that 58% of the working people have taxable incomes of less than $25,000,and only 2% have taxable incomes of $100,000 or more. How could only 2% be making $100,000 or more, while the vast majority is making only $24,000?

The only logical explanation has to be?EDUCATION & KNOWLEDGE, (or maybe I should say the lack of education & knowledge), and the choices we make as we go through life. If you choose to be “average” (and it?s your choice), then you will get average results. If “average” is your comfort zone and you?re happy living in that zone, good luck. If you?re happy working your job, and you?re earning all the money you need, congratulations. If your job will provide you with the kind of retirement income and security you want, congratulations again. If not, then you obviously have to get out of your comfort zone, make the necessary effort and commitment and do something the average person doesn?t do.

Approximately one million workers are being “downsized” (a polite way of saying, “You?re Fired”) each year. For years, many of these people were happy in their comfort zone and failed to learn how to do anymore than what their jobs required. Their choice was to continue doing the same thing they had always done, even though they had the choice, and the chance to learn to do better.

Recently, on the evening news, there was a story about a woman being “downsized” after 27 years on the same job. Her job was inspecting TV?s coming off the assembly line. For 27 years she was in her comfort zone and did nothing to improve her knowledge, or education and learn to do anything different. Is there a lesson to be learned here? As the saying goes “If you continue doing the same thing you?ve always done, you will continue getting the same thing you?ve always gotten.” (Unless you?re "downsized.)

Based on some of the messages I?m seeing on this web site regarding the CRE Convention in Dallas, I see that some of you folks are making the same choices as those workers that were downsized. Some of you are only figuring the cost of attending that convention in present dollars, instead of life time benefits. If you only figure how much it will cost to attend the convention, you should also figure how much it will cost you not to attend. Just one idea could be worth thousands of dollars, but you won?t ever know if you aren?t there.

Over the years, Joanne and I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars going to many seminars. Not that we could always afford to go, but rather because we couldn?t afford not to go. We had a choice, and our choice was to spend the money to get an education. Being in the 2% bracket is much better than being “average” and in the 58% bracket. And, we don?t have to worry about being “downsized”. Education and knowledge doesn?t get downsized. (But according to some of our friends, we just got “Lucky”)

I?ve heard it said many times that you WILL pay for your education at some point in your life. And you get to make the choice when you will pay. You can pay when you are young, healthy and able to work, or you can pay when you are old, sick, broke and unable to work. The choice is yours. When do you choose to pay for yours?

The CRE Convention in Dallas will cost you $495 to attend. If this was the price for the convention alone, it would be the bargain of the year. I?ve paid more than that for home study courses and learned nothing. (Bet you won?t be able to go next year for that price.) But that unheard of obscene low price also includes your hotel room, plus a full course breakfast every morning, plus you get to spend three days and nights learning from 10-12 of the most successful investors and entrepreneurs in the country, covering all kinds of investments and techniques.

And you also get to meet a lot of good people, make life long friends with some, and enjoy the excitement of the convention. You will leave the convention armed with more money making ideas and knowledge, than you ever learned from all of your “schooling.” This is stuff they don?t teach in school, or college.

I gave a seminar several years ago, and whenever I think of that seminar, two men instantly come to mind. One was a plumber that called saying he wouldn?t be able to attend the seminar, but would like to stop by and buy my books, which he did. He said he sure would like to attend, but he had a plumbing job he just had to do that day. (I never heard from him again.)

The other man was about ready to retire from the Marines after 28 years service. He called me about 2 months after the seminar saying he had done two MH deals. He “thought” he did O.K, but he didn?t really know because he didn?t know how to use a calculator. He wanted me to give him a crash course in using one. After 30 minutes or so on the phone, he got the hang of it and punched in the numbers on one of his deals. In fact, he punched the numbers in several times, he didn?t believe the answer he kept getting. After I agreed with his numbers, there was a long pause. Finally he said, “My God Lonnie, this stuff is scary”. The Marine paid $295 to attend that seminar to learn how to make his money do the work, so he wouldn?t have to. He learned how to make more money on one deal than he got from a months pay being a Marine.

Now, can you tell me how much it cost that plumber for NOT attending the seminar? Let?s suppose he made $500 on that plumbing job that he just had to do, but how much did he lose by not learning what the Marine learned, making his money do the work? The next day, and probably every day after, he has to do another plumbing job to get a check. The Marine can do a simple MH deal and obligate somebody else (maybe a plumber) to send him a check for years.

The records show that 95% of the people that reach retirement age will need some kind of help, or a part time job, in order to live a decent life. Those people had the same opportunities and the same choices to make as we did. They just made the wrong choices. They chose to be “average” all their life.

Our choice is to go to Dallas in March and continue our education. (I may be getting old and lazy, but I?m still learning. You might finish school, but you never finish your education.) Also, we?ll get the chance to spend time with some very good friends, and meet some nice people we?ve never met. You can?t put a price on that.

So, what will your choice be…the 2% bracket, or the 58% bracket? When do you chose to pay for your education, now or later? Are you willing to settle for being “average?” The choice is yours, and I hope you make the right one, because you will have to live with the results of your choice. The best investment you can make is in yourself. I hope to see you in Dallas!!

Best wishes for your success.

Lonnie

P.S. Know what they call people that won?t pay for their education?..PO FOLKS.

Re: It’s Your Future - Posted by Robert McNeely

Posted by Robert McNeely on January 08, 1999 at 17:22:21:

Lonnie, I want to thank you for what you have taught me. I have added to both my income and knowledge by our association. I was “down sized” on Oct. 16 after 21 years as a product manager for a pump company. I don’t care how important you think you are to your employer, you can be let go at any time. We had just finished two record years, in our divison. The other parts of the corperation caused a masive cut in our group. Was I upset? Not in the least! My boss was taken aback at how excited I was. I have been studying and learning and investing in this business for about ten years now. The rental base I had built up has allowed me to move fulltime into investing. I have wanted to work fulltime at this for the last several years. The lonnie deals are like the icing on the cake. My last one is paying for my new truck, with my business name displayed on the sides.
I wouldn’t miss the upcomming convention for anything! This web sight, your seminar I attended, and last years convention have more than paid for themselves, many times over. I strongly suggest everyone find a way to attend. See you in Dalas.

Re: It’s Your Future (Arlington here I come!!) - Posted by Dean

Posted by Dean on January 08, 1999 at 15:39:53:

This article was what I needed to “get me over the wall”…thank you Lonnie. When you put it into perspective that one cannot afford NOT to attend, $495 seems like a paltry amount.

By the way, I’m not letting the fear of flying keep me away. I plan on driving 17 hours from northern Illinois to be there (I know…it’s silly to be afraid to fly, but I still hate it just the same!!)

See ya all there!!

Re: It’s Your Future - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on January 08, 1999 at 11:03:55:

Lonnie:

Your a hell of a guy.
I?ve got to tell you that I?m not interested in buying mobile homes,
but I would attend your seminar anyway, and I?ll tell you why.

First of all I make my living as an investor and a lender.
I personally like real-estate, and income producing properties
especially. But the reason I would attend your seminar is not just
for the education of buying mobile homes for profit.

But because I know that what most people don?t realize is along
with the techniques that you teach also goes a mentality.

I never became aware of this until I did Saint Louis with Terry.
In the mist of our workshop I realized that Terry and I were not just
sharing our knowledge, but were also sharing a way of thinking.
In another words a way of life.

I know for a fact that when people left St. Louis, they were lifted
with a new way of thinking. I read your postings all of the time
and appreciate your words of wisdom.

When reading your postings I can feel not only your knowledge of
mobile home investing, but you experience in life and understanding
of the circumstances as they are presented before you.

One of, if not your main message that I have picked up from you is
education. You are heavy on education.

Mr. Scruggs, although the money is not bad I know you don?t do this
for just the money. I can tell you get a lot of satisfaction in helping
folks to obtain a better life style. You share your positive attitude
which is an important part of life.

I take my hat off to you. Keep up the good work.

Ed Garcia

Re: They did you a favor. - Posted by Lonnie

Posted by Lonnie on January 09, 1999 at 06:33:46:

Hi Bob,

Congratulations on preparing yourself and being ready for that ugly word… “downsized.” So many people keep their heads in the sand, refuse to see the obvious writing on the wall, and think it won?t happen to them. And when it does happen, they?re totally unprepared. And they?re the ones that holler the loudest.

Are you listening folks? Regardless of how well you like your job, how much money you make, and how indispensable you think you are, you too might be downsized like Bob. Will you be in Bob?s position if it happens, with cash flow from other sources? Bob?s situation emphasizes once again why it?s so important not to be totally dependent on a job.

Bob, I have a feeling they did you a favor. Check with us later and tell me if I?m right.

All the best,

Lonnie

Re: Youmade a wise choice - Posted by Lonnie

Posted by Lonnie on January 09, 1999 at 06:27:42:

Hi Dean,

Congratulations on making a wise decision. Glad I could help “get you over the wall.” That?s a long drive, but it just shows that you?ve made a commitment not to be part of that 95% of “average” people.

Drive safely,

Lonnie

Something in your post caught my eye - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on January 09, 1999 at 04:40:31:

Hi Dean,
Now I am assuming that you are coming from the general area of Chicago. So from Chicago to Dallas is roughly 990 miles. Now since you want to drive (do to the fear of flying) Why not try to hook up with someone from your area who also wants to drive (do to fiancial situations or whatever). And team up. Split the cost of gas and whatnot. Also it’s nice to share motivation, idea’s ect.

Just a thought,
Dirk

Re: Thanks Ed - Posted by Lonnie

Posted by Lonnie on January 09, 1999 at 06:20:49:

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the kind words. Your post reminds me once again that…“You meet the best people in the world at seminars and conventions.” I shudder to think of all the wonderful friends I would not have, had I not attended those seminars and conventions. It was at one of those conventions that I met JP and Terry, and then you, last year at CRE in Las Vegas. What a positive difference all of you make.

Ed, when it comes to helping people, you don?t take a back-seat to anyone. And I know you will agree that being able to help someone in need, with no thought, or expectation of getting anything in return, is one of the best feelings you could ever have. Money is a much needed necessity in life, but as you and I both know so well, there are other more important things in life. Good health, good friends and a good heart, are at the top of the list. I?m proud you consider me a friend…

See you in Dallas,

Lonnie

Re: It’s Your Future - Posted by Jerry Greer

Posted by Jerry Greer on January 08, 1999 at 17:01:08:

I completely agree with Ed. Lonnie, You are an inspiration to all. It is very interesting how as we grow in life we learn how important our Attitude becomes to our success in life. You my friend, will allways have my utmost respect and admiration.
Thank you for sharing a part of your life experience with us.
Jerry Greer