John Beck - Who are these people calling me? - Posted by Erin

Posted by George on March 06, 2001 at 01:01:31:

If your intention is to invest in tax, and you feel you are a self-starter, you may not need their coaching program. I opted for not taking it, but it is your decision. I understand his coaching program covers real estate in general, not only tax sales…

John Beck - Who are these people calling me? - Posted by Erin

Posted by Erin on March 05, 2001 at 21:09:44:

My husband and I ordered John Beck’s free and clear from an infomercial. We got the info and then about a week later we had someone call us up. It sounds like it’s some sort of mentoring program with a coach and sessions. I’m a little skeptical. They would like $5800 up front for the training. I’d like to know if anyone has done it. Is it worth it? Or is it just some sort of scam? They didn’t seem to be too forthcoming with specifics. I guess you get those when they get your money. If this is familiar to anyone please let me know. Thx–Erin

Re: John Beck - Who are these people calling me? - Posted by Jeff

Posted by Jeff on March 06, 2001 at 08:21:47:

I too, received the infamous phone call trying to get me to “upgrade my education for the sake of living to my full potential and generating wealth beyond my wildest dreams”, or something to that effect. In all honesty, I may have been interested a little bit. But the problem was that I had some kid calling me. Yes, I realize that you cannot see the person that you are talking to on the phone. But, I am in sales and I myself talk to hundreds of different people throughout the week, so I feel I have a pretty decent grasp about people I talk to. When I say “kid”, I mean somebody who couldn’t have been over the age of 23 or 24. I let him inquire about my personal situation (i.e.-finances) a little to see where he was going and to see if I would “qualify” to be selected as one of the lucky few who could take advantage of a very limited offer. When he found out that I had over 10k available in credit, it was like a thunderbolt hit this kid and he became pretty relentless. It was obvious that they were going to try to sell me something else, but I didn’t know what. He then told me that the course that I purchased only gave a limited amount of the information that I would need to learn about buying tax liens and certificates. That if I really wanted to learn more or what the specific details were, I would need to spend more to get that kind of info.

Bottom line, I don’t like that kind of operation. Granted, I didn’t expect much for the $40 I spent, but I don’t like being hammered away after that. When I stated I had no interest, I was pestered again with a feeble attempt of a guilt trip for not being the best provider I could be for my family. That about did it.

Now, what I did get was enough info to make my own inquiries to the counties and states that I am close to and have since found out when the auctions take place and the protocol for each county and state. That came from the material that I purchased and that has been helpful. What I did get for the $40 was helpful, I won’t deny that. But I didn’t like the way that they tried to follow up and the manner in which they did it. As for learning about real estate, go to the main discussion group on this board. There is plenty of info there that can assist you for free. The courses that are offered here are extensive and valuable, and certainly less that $5600. For that amount, you could very well put that money down on a house (if you had to) and get something tangible in return.

Just my two cents worth. Hope this helps.