John T. Reed has won a battle. (LONG) - Posted by karp

Amen! That was perfect! (nt) - Posted by DanM(OR)

Posted by DanM(OR) on April 22, 1999 at 10:14:44:

Re: Reed Recomends Lonnie - Posted by Brad Crouch

Posted by Brad Crouch on April 25, 1999 at 18:22:40:

Kevin,

Just curious . . . why would you post a message indicating that Reed recomnmends Lonnie, and then ask if he does? Misleading, No? Wasting my time, No?

You said you visited Reeds site and found no mention of Lonnie. Does that mean you are not “thorough”? “Why ask us”, is the point I’m trying to make.

Is every passing thought you have, so monumentally important to anyone else?

Brad

Re: I guess I’m a JTreed schmuck - Posted by Nancy Cason

Posted by Nancy Cason on April 24, 1999 at 18:48:31:

Sue, I think a lot of the information is general knowledge that anyone can learn for free from the IRS pubs and he acts like it is a big secret he personally uncovered. I felt offended when he referred to people as “schmucks” if they didn’t do expensing/depreciation his way. I think a writer should be considerate of the readers and treat all of them with respect.

I also though he filled up his pages with verbage and graphs to create volumn. In general it is not bad, but I just found his personality offensive. Maybe I am too sensative.

Re: Curious…sadistical analysis - Posted by Nancy Cason

Posted by Nancy Cason on April 24, 1999 at 18:56:25:

I was really bored with the first three chapters. I bought a book on real estate tax avoidance-I thought! Then had to weed through his statistical analysis and decision tree process. Yuck. Also I was offended by his calling people schmucks if they didn’t agree with his methods. Much of the infomation is free in IRS pubs and he acts like he personally discovered a big secret. I guess I’m dumb, but most of this stuff I already knew and was using. I found nothing “aggressive” in his book–except his attitude. He does’t show much respect for the people who buy and read his books.

When you read a book you get a feel for the author, no one can write without revealing themselves. I did not like what I saw.

Have fun,

Nancy

Michel, mon ami… - Posted by CarolFL

Posted by CarolFL on April 25, 1999 at 12:29:57:

I thought it was

“It serves well when a Hot Dish gets revenge by being cold”.

Non?

I think it is an Italian saying.(nt) - Posted by kev.

Posted by kev. on April 21, 1999 at 20:21:01:

Re: I WONDER how much $$$ Jane B. Quinn Made Last Year… - Posted by Helen (VA)

Posted by Helen (VA) on April 22, 1999 at 10:06:34:

A newspaper article on financial writers said she made $325,000 in 1998.

Helen

Trust me… - Posted by CarolFL

Posted by CarolFL on April 21, 1999 at 21:15:54:

It goes …
La revanche est un plat qui se mange mieux froid.

Carol

Amount of $$$ in RE Investments is what matters most (nt) - Posted by raelynn mitchell

Posted by raelynn mitchell on April 22, 1999 at 10:21:30:

x

Re: Trust me… - Posted by Bill K. (AZ)

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on April 21, 1999 at 22:01:33:

Carol,

Doesn’t that mean “turn up the heat it’s cold in here”? LOL

Bill K. (AZ)

you lost me - Posted by Gerry

Posted by Gerry on April 22, 1999 at 10:45:16:

Are you saying that when you buy groceries they will give you more if you buy them with dollars you made in real estate investing? They don’t do that at Kroger here. Seriously though, Jane Bryan Quinn is (in my opinion) one of the best personal finance authors there is. Yes she is conservative but I am too. I don’t know why she believes JT Reed but evidentally the folks at Wall Street Journal, Kiplingers, Money magazine and the book buying public believe in her too.

Re: Trust me… - Posted by CarolFL

Posted by CarolFL on April 22, 1999 at 06:10:56:

Bill, Like all things Gallic, it conveys superiority, style and intelligence …

Freely translated, it means -
“you’ll get yours!”

or
“I’ll get yours” … never was too good on the grammar part!
Carol

News vs. Opinions - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on April 22, 1999 at 21:45:31:

As I said elsewhere, if you are of middle-class thinking and conservative, you will like Jane Bryant Quinn. She appeals to the masses. The problem is the masses are poor for the most part and risk-averse. This means work and save until age 65.

While I have respect for WSJ, Money, and other periodicals, I go to them for NEWS not OPINIONS. If they “like” her, it is an opinion of some editor or writer. Is that writer or editor much smarter than any of us or wealthier? Somehow, I don’t think so.

If it means anything Kiyosaki & Burley could care less about Money, Kiplingers, and the like. They base their information on other things BEFORE things happen. The problem with news is they report big events after it has happened. By then, it is too late.

My Original Point was something different…sorry! - Posted by raelynn mitchell

Posted by raelynn mitchell on April 22, 1999 at 14:05:14:

The actual point I intended to make but didn’t do too good at, was that if I were a consumer about to spend hard earned dollars I would check out more than one source for info on ANYONE. The way I found this site was in the process of checking out Carlton Sheets. If you go to any search engine (yahoo.com, excite.com, goto.com, etc) and type in the course author’s name, you find a whole world of information. Sometimes good, sometimes bad, and then you get to sift through that good and bad and determine for yourself if you are making a good decision or bad in spending money on that situation/entity/person. This should be done regarding John T Reed, Joe Kaiser, JP and Terry, and anyone else you might consider buying an investment course from. And this is something the public should do, instead of just accepting a person’s “thumbs up” or “thumbs down” review of someone’s courses or other material. Too many people buy into someone’s program without doing the least bit of checking prior to parting with their money to make sure that the entity/person/etc. is not a fly-by-night “take the money and run” operation, then cry foul to the feds when their money is gone. I guess you could say that I treat the WWW as a worldwide Better Business Bureau of sorts.

The other point I look at is, is Ms. Quinn making most of her $$$ from real estate investing or from writing about investments? Conservative or not, this is something that needs to be considered whenever taking into account someone’s perspective or their rating system, or what you end up with is an opinion of an opinion. Some people say that earning more than 25% return on your money must involve something illegal. Yet Lonnie Deals abound and the returns can often double that. So I guess my real question is, did she get the majority of her income from real estate investing, or from book royalties and/or sales? Not that it may matter to the rest of the world, but that’s what I look for when seeking out someone to listen to.

Re: Trust me…Actually, it means… - Posted by Michael Murray

Posted by Michael Murray on April 23, 1999 at 10:06:44:

If you have a cold, revenge will eat your lunch!
:^)
Michael Murray

And your little dog too! (nt) - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on April 22, 1999 at 06:48:20:

nt