JOHN T REED - Posted by Pavon Bailey

Posted by msboston on January 29, 2000 at 02:25:19:

Thank you for the advice. I am new to this game.
However, it is my opinion that we should observe and not be so quick to criticize and make others look small. It could be that all the negatives directed toward JTR are true. However, I think the folks on this site should live up their image as being very helpful towards one another. To nitpic and harp on others makes us look small.

This is my opinion.
msboston

JOHN T REED - Posted by Pavon Bailey

Posted by Pavon Bailey on January 28, 2000 at 10:44:58:

Hello fellow investors!!!

I went to a web site by John T. Reed. Someone advised me to visit the site. When I did, I found out something that caused me some worry. On his site, he says, in so many words, that Bronchick, Kaiser, LeGrand, etc…(the people that write articles on this web site) are scam artists!! He even said that this site is not a good source for REI info. Now I don’t know about him, but I really love this site and the people that make up this site (the NewsGroup, the authors, JP, etc.) This is a wonderful community. Why would he say those things?

Pavon

Re: What is all the anger about? - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on January 28, 2000 at 21:18:55:

I am kind of perplexed.

I do not understand what all the anger with Reed’s website is all about. He is just one guy. I have not heard many reasons why we should discount Reed. I see a lot name calling.

I think that Reed does a very good job of showing the other side of things.

1. Does he possible manipulate information to make his point? I’m sure he may, but who doesn’t.

2. The fact that he has not bought a property in years make his information bad? Maybe maybe not.

3. Does Reed’s arrogant attitude mean that his message is wrong? No

Bottome line, you have a brain. USE IT! I’m sure that everyone here is smart enough to look at both sides and make their own decision.

Before you hang Reed or CREonline out to dry why don’t you read some of their material, I think you might be surprised to find that both are very good.

Re: JOHN T REED - Posted by Earnest

Posted by Earnest on January 28, 2000 at 20:49:35:

It hink it’s hlpful to read criticism. Nice to get pro’s AND con’s. Reed is knowledgeable even if he is loose with the tongue. If you read Reed and others closely, you see where he is coming from, and, thus, have a better idea of where you’re coming from. He’s got his manner of thinking and acting, I got mine…

He’s right about Lonnie… - Posted by Ben

Posted by Ben on January 28, 2000 at 19:17:44:

then again even a broken clock is right twice a day!

Re: JOHN T REED - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on January 28, 2000 at 17:54:11:

Pavon,

The last time this came up, a couple weeks ago, JPiper posted a very nicely written response, which I couldn’t possibly improve upon, so I won’t try. It may still be down below somewhere, if you want to try to search for it. I don’t have time now, or I’d look.

Bottom line: Each investor needs to make the effort to analyze his/her own abilities, interests and needs. You should never blindly accept the word of any author without verifying/questioning their backgrounds, biases and motives. Without exception, the folks who post here on Creonline and happen to sell books and courses are real people, out there doing real deals, which is more than can be said for Mr. Reed. He does seem to have a good grasp of how to cite selected quotes, out of context, as “evidence” that only he speaks the truth.

Brian (NY)

FUD - Posted by Glenn OH

Posted by Glenn OH on January 28, 2000 at 13:08:26:

Years ago, IBM used to have their salespeople use FUD - Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt - to keep their customers from buying better and cheaper systems from their competitors. This seems to be what John T. Reed is doing, to get people to buy his material.
The last time around on him, someone (I can’t remember who) pointed out that he completely misrepresented what was said in “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” even in his quotes (taking out of context and twisting the meaning), so facts don’t seem to get in his way.
As far as his approval of Lonnie, he probably doesn’t have a competing product, so he doesn’t feel the need to bad mouth him!

Re: JOHN T REED - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on January 28, 2000 at 11:50:07:

Some people say alot of things. Bill Clinton told us in 1992 that he was done with commiting adultery. Everybody fell for that one too. Hah!

Just remember that Reed hasn’t owned an investment property in almost 10 years and only owned about a dozen or so properties ever. Does that really make him an expert to judge others? You decide.

JOHN T REED - I DO NOT RECOMMEND (NT) - Posted by DougO(NM)

Posted by DougO(NM) on January 28, 2000 at 11:28:50:

NT

read the books not the site - Posted by RR Smith

Posted by RR Smith on January 28, 2000 at 11:02:45:

A. because he has good lawayers
B. he needs to sell lots and lots of books to break even
C. by causing excitement(hipe) he increases sales and establishes himself
as the consumate professional
D. other

Re: JOHN T REED - Posted by BRnBA

Posted by BRnBA on January 28, 2000 at 10:57:36:

Pavon, did you happen to notice that HE sells a L/O course even though he has not done a R.E. deal in years. He is the KING of SELF PROMOTION at the expence of others.

Re: JOHN T REED - Posted by Bill Schwartz

Posted by Bill Schwartz on January 28, 2000 at 12:22:16:

And don’t forget, he not only hasn’t bought an investment property in years, the two he did have he gave back in lieu of foreclosure!

Re: JOHN T REED - Posted by msboston

Posted by msboston on January 28, 2000 at 20:08:28:

As a new reader at this site, I would like to express my opinion that you have all made yourselves look very cheap with the responses regarding John T. Reed.

I do not know John T. Reed. I do not know you either. However, just because someone else has a different spin on investing, does that make you all right and him all wrong.

Quite frankly, I must admit that all the authors on this site are suspect. Why does one have to buy books to learn. If this is a site where all participants help one another, I must say all I ever see is carrot baiting. Someone writes in with a problem. A respondent answers by telling what to do, but not how to do it.

I still enjoy the site. However, I am no fool and will continue to observe before making any type of move.
msboston

Re: JOHN T REED - Posted by msboston

Posted by msboston on January 28, 2000 at 20:06:59:

As a new reader at this site, I would like to express my opinion that you have all made yourselves look very cheap with the responses to John T. Reed.

I do not know John T. Reed. I do not know you either. However, just because someone else has a different spin on investing, does that make you all right and him all wrong.

Quite frankly, I must admit that all the authors on this site are suspect. Why does one have to buy books to learn. If this is a site where all participants help one another, I must say all I ever see is carrot baiting. Someone writes in with a problem. A respondent answers by telling what to do, but not how to do it.

I still enjoy the site. However, I am no fool and will continue to observe before making any type of move.
msboston

Re: JOHN T REED - Posted by BRnBA

Posted by BRnBA on January 28, 2000 at 20:40:26:

If it makes me look cheap to say JTR promotes himself at the expense of others then so be it. It is fact, not just my opinion. You must be VERY new to this sight if all you see is carrot baiting. It is my belief that there is more teaching, for free I might add, going on here than all the other RE sights combined. I visit many of them, in fact I like them too but most don’t have the traffic they need to compete with CRE. I wish they did because it would be more interesting for us all. Today has been one of those days where the BS has gotten out of hand but hang around and you’ll see that CRE has alot to offer. Go to the articles section and the legal corner, that should keep you busy for a few days.