Joining Chamber of Commerce? - Posted by Scot - SoCal

Posted by Scot - SoCal on April 09, 2002 at 17:19:17:

Thanks for the feedback Tim. I’m looking at my local chamber as they seem to do a lot of promotion of local biz, give cheap ad space in the local city paper and even stuff it with flyers from chamber members. That coupled with any localized biz info might be helpful. Just hadn’t heard anyone mention joining before.

Joining Chamber of Commerce? - Posted by Scot - SoCal

Posted by Scot - SoCal on April 08, 2002 at 14:30:33:

I was wondering if anyone has joined their local Chamber of Commerce and if they would recommend? Benefits? Drawbacks?

credibility - Posted by JasonWDTX

Posted by JasonWDTX on April 09, 2002 at 23:51:19:

Joining also adds a bit of credibility to your business, especially in subject to deals. The sellers may wonder if you’re for real or may skip town on them. Being a member of the local chamber and BBB helps show that you are a member of the community and not just some fly by night investor. Most of the time it doesn’t matter, but every once in a while you get a motivated, but concerned, seller who wants a little extra comfort. The chamber of commerce and BBB helps give you that extra credibility in those cases.

Jason

Depends - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on April 09, 2002 at 16:48:27:

Scott,

The benefit of a chamber of Commerce really depends on the chamber itself. If they don’t offer anything like a business get together once a month or any kind of classes or groups I would pass.

The chamber I joined is great. It has something known as “after hours”. That is where all the memebers get together at a business site and we get free food and drink. Also, they have a “sales council”. They meet once a month for lunch and there is a speaker that talks about different aspects of marketing/sales. It is really nice.

Bottom line, if you are joining the chamber in hopes of getting business, I don’t think you will have much luck. I just joined because I wanted to have a reason to get out of the house and mingle with other business owners. Also, I think I could pick up some marketing ideas from some of the memebers. Will I get any deals from the chamber members, probably not, but thats fine. Like I said I enjoy the interaction with other business owners outside my feild.

If you are looking for more specialized information or networking, try a local real estate investors association.

Tim