Joint Ownership, No probate - Posted by Nevada

Posted by Nevada on September 14, 2004 at 09:50:43:

Thanks for the post, and the link to the Washoe County link.

Both seem to be specific for Joint Tenancy. The deed in question doesn’t specify, and it is my understanding that Tenancy in Common is assumed where no other information is available. Since Tenancy in Common doesn’t assume heirship the way Joint Tenancy does, I’m not sure the County can help that way.

I have found the Nevada Statute that deals with small estates (NRS 146.070 Estates not exceeding $50,000), and have some good direction to follow there. It looks like the property can be transferred with an affidavit.

Thanks again!

Joint Ownership, No probate - Posted by Nevada

Posted by Nevada on September 13, 2004 at 10:56:49:

I have a situation where two individuals (half brothers)own a rural property which has very little value, perhaps $500 to $1000. One owner died in 1986, and he had practically no assets so there was no probate.

The other owner has recently decided that the best thing to do is to stop paying property taxes on that parcel and let the County have it. Is there an economical to resolve this title and avoid giving up the property?

Washoe County Description of What to do - Posted by Gary (CA)

Posted by Gary (CA) on September 14, 2004 at 05:01:16:

Washoe County has a description of what is needed. The URL is:
http://www.co.washoe.nv.us/seniorsrv/Legal/legalfaqs.htm#Joint

Re: Joint Ownership, No probate - Posted by Gary (CA)

Posted by Gary (CA) on September 14, 2004 at 04:31:23:

In California, all you need do is have the surviving joint tenant fill out an Affidavit of Death of a Joint Tenant form and submit it for recording with a certified copy of the death certificate. The only costs involved are the recording fees and the fee to obtain a certified copy of the death certificate from the county where the deceased died. Some of the counties in California describe the process on their web sites.

There is probably a similar procedure for Nevada. See if you can find a website which has copies of Nevada law regarding the disposition of joint tenant property after one joint tenant dies. If you can’t find the information, pay a local attorney for an hour’s consultation regarding the matter.