JUST ATFQ!!!!!! - Posted by John_OKC

Posted by Nancy in NC on April 11, 1999 at 16:33:35:

I also have noticed that some people ask several questions. Each of which would take pages to answer. If people would limit the question to one topic the chances of getting answeres will increase.

Be thoughtful of other’s time and energy.

JUST ATFQ!!! - Posted by John_OKC

Posted by John_OKC on April 10, 1999 at 22:34:18:

I’m tired of some people answering questions by trying to advertise someones course. Please just answer the question. Some people cannot afford a $300 course much less go to a siminar thousands of miles away.

So please answer the …questions asked by us newbies and stop being typing advertisements.

Thanks
John Investor

Re: JUST ATFQ!!! - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on April 12, 1999 at 16:32:46:

John,

Step back a second and consider this. We are not getting paid to answer your questions. We spend large chunks of time in the chatroom and on the newsgroup. We answer questions and ask for nothing in return.

I get more e mails than I can answer. Some of the ones I don’t get to answer get down right angry at me.

Remember we are still actively investing in real estate. It takes our time and energy. That’s how we make our living.

We do the best we can to answer your questions. Especially a guy like Jim Piper.

I Appoligize :frowning: - Posted by John_OKC

Posted by John_OKC on April 11, 1999 at 22:32:50:

I am sorry for offending some of you. I am grateful for the advice and stories shared by many of you here. To mention some: JPiper, Jackie from Dallas, bob, Bassman, SandyFL.

But just to clear some things up…I can afford a course/seminar…the reason newbies ask “so-called” veteran investors is because we figure that You have already read the course…been to the seminars…etc…and should be able to help. If not just say, “I can’t really answer that question in exact detail”…or something like that. You’re telling us to get a course that apparently you didn’t get the info from and we might not also. Please look at it from a frustrated newbie standpoint…trying to get aswers from people that they trust blindly…

I was always taught…“you learn from experience”. It can be your own or someone elses…

Thanks for your time…
John Investor

Here’s Your Answer - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on April 11, 1999 at 13:45:51:

Last night in the chatroom I gave you just this type of advice. Maybe just before you made this post.

Be that as it may, here was the reason I told you to get a course. You asked a question regarding land trusts, the answer to which I would have still been typing. Further, whether you understood or not, land trust and their use have their complications. I didn’t want to give an incomplete answer to this type of question, or for that matter to any question. I thought that the answer would have been impossible to give in a chatroom setting, or on this newsgroup. I think I included that in my answer as I recall. So my answer was to get a course.

But you strike me as a plain-spoken guy, so here’s a few plain spoken words. I think the attitude that comes through when you say “just answer the f*cking question” is that someone owes you something. Just so that you know, I don’t owe you a thing. I answer questions that I choose to answer giving the best answer I know how given my abilities and limitations. But I don’t owe you an answer. I participate here because I enjoy it. I answer questions because they stimulate my thinking process. What I don’t do is answer questions because you demand an answer, because you need an answer, or because you don’t have the money to buy a course. I’m not here to serve you according to your whim, nor am I here to spoon-feed you information.

YOU are responsible for YOUR education?..I’m not, nor is anyone else at this site. Education takes time, effort, and yes, heaven forbid, money. Your question last night concerned trusts. There are articles written here that you could have read. There have been LARGE numbers of postings here regarding trusts that you could have searched out in the archives and read. But here’s what it takes?..it takes the effort to click your mouse a few times, and then takes the effort and time to READ. Frankly if you’re too “tired” to do that, then you’re not going to make it in this business.

Sometimes the best answer to a question is “get a course”. Whether you have the money to get one doesn’t change the merit of that answer. But now that you’ve expressed the thought that you don’t have $300, here’s some more unsolicited advice. Cut back on your expenses. Cut off your cable television. Quit eating at fast food places. Quit going to movies. Quit spending money. Try saving the $300. And despite the fact that you might be tired, get a part-time job at minimum wage for 2 weeks?.then you can afford a course.

Your success in this business depends on YOU, not on me. I’m willing to answer your questions?.just don’t tell me what my answer should be. Consider yourself fortunate that you even have this resource at your disposal. It didn’t exist when I got started. I had no one to say “just answer the f*cking question” to.

JPiper

Re: JUST ATFQ!!! - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on April 11, 1999 at 12:41:53:

Usually, from what I’ve noticed, when someone says get the course, etc, it is because the person asking the question has taken the time to read everything on this site and are asking broad questions as opposed to specific advice. Other times, it is because a book or course contains a specific plan that deals with the subject, thoroughly. Don’t take offense, be glad people have been there, done that, read that, and will help you in the right direction when they have the time.

David Alexander

Re: JUST ATFQ!!! - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on April 11, 1999 at 12:02:21:

Please keep in mind this is a VOLUNTARY effort by people who post here. Taking the tact ATFQ! will probably just cause a shutdown effect. This community created by CREonline is for-profit, no doubt about it. But it doesn’t mean you can’t get lots out of it with all the FREE goodies and advice here.

If you don’t have the patience for learning indirectly then you better find the money. You either use cash or “sweat equity” to get the info.

Regarding the “advertisements” thing, I see people asking loaded questions requiring a term paper to answer that because of all the issues. JPiper seems to tackle those quite well! :slight_smile: Most others will refer you to the proper source that you call “advertisement”.

You know - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on April 11, 1999 at 11:05:58:

hi John,
I understand where you are coming from. I do what you are talking about, the reason being is that I just don’t have the time to get into the detail and whatnot that the authors do.
Besides the authors useally are more of an “expert” than I am or may have more to say or be more qualified to speak on the subject.
Anyhow I feel that the Free Benefits offered on this site more than adequately compliment the stuff for sale here.
Dirk

Re: JUST ATFQ!!! - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on April 11, 1999 at 08:48:14:

John,

I understand your point, but you have to remember that JP and Co. are here to make a buck. If they gave all the information away how would they be able to support this website?

So, what I would reccomend is three things if you want to get answers to your questions.

1. Go to your local real estate investor’s meetings.

2. Go to the library and check out books on real estate.

3. Read the how-to articles on this site.

Finally, when you find the area that you want to invest in then buy a course from this site that specializes in your chosen area.

Timzilla

Re: JUST Answer the Question!!! - Posted by Charles-DFW

Posted by Charles-DFW on April 11, 1999 at 06:32:20:

Maybe the best answer to your question is," to buy the book or course".

I have spent thousands of dollars on real estate books and courses. Some of it could have been better spent for sure. The books and courses on this site are relatively inexpensive, and worth the money.

If you ask a question and get a response to get someones’ course, it is because the question is either to broad or indepth that it is not feasable to answer in this forum. If you cannot afford a course, go to the public library. Most have books on real estate investing, some even have tapes.

If someone on this site recommends a book or course it usually means they have it and have benefited from it, and believe you can best benefit by doing the same.

“Don’t bite the hand that feeds you!”

Charles

Re: JUST ATFQ!!! - Posted by Reif

Posted by Reif on April 11, 1999 at 24:00:36:

John,

I am a newbie myself, so I feel OK about answering this **** question.

First of all, to my knowledge, no one, and that includes the experts with courses to sell, is being paid to answer questions here night after night. Nor is there an admission fee for you to view the answers. So, if you don’t like a particular answer - oh well.

Second, seeing as many of these questions have been asked/answered many times before, maybe some of the more knowledgable types would rather direct us towards the archives rather than repeating themselves. This allows them more time to deal with unique deals and circumstances.

On your main point, if one of the people here direct you to a course, it’s probably because that course more thouroughly and specifically covers a myriad of issues related to the question. Remember those courses are typically a couple of hundred pages - you would expect them to be more thorough than an answer could possibly be online.

Lastly, this site works because some very successful people volunteer their time to help others. If they give you an answer, take it or leave it - but don’t be greedy. The last thing we need is for ungrateful visitors to be criticizing those whose generosity makes this site work.

Reif

I Think You’re Still Missing the Point… - Posted by Baltimore BirdDog

Posted by Baltimore BirdDog on April 15, 1999 at 12:18:30:

…even if only slightly. Though we appreciate your apology to JPiper, I think you’re still missing his point. The reasons that I or anyone else recommend a course, or any other resource, are that:

a) we have studied the course or been to the seminar and thus know its value to you;

b) it is impossible for us to provide the answers to your question(s) due to constraints of knowledge and/or time, and;

c) we know that the course will answer your questions and many others you will undoubtedly have on the topic.

It’s for these reasons that we refer you to a particular resource, not that we don’t know the exact answer or didn’t get the answer from the course ourselves. The course is simply the best and most efficient solution to your problem from your perspective and our perspective.

A few other things. No one should trust any source of information blindly as no one but you is privy to all of the details surrounding your own particular circumstance. So while most of the advice here on the board and in the courses is very valuable, it could be wrong. For this reason, no one should ever hesitate to question the advice they are being given if it doesn’t seem right. It is, after all, your life and your money that’s on the line.

All that being said, the courses offered here are excellent, probably better or at least as good as any you’ll find elsewhere. Just remember to question things that don’t make sense.

Finally, you are right to learn from other’s experience. Just keep in mind the person behind the experience and thus the quality of the advice.

Good luck to you in your investing career. Financial freedom is right around the corner!

-Jeremy

Re: Jpiper, you are Da’ Man - Posted by Coni(OR)

Posted by Coni(OR) on April 12, 1999 at 11:49:32:

Always the consummate professional 8^) I am and always will be in awe of you!!!

Thanks for being a part of this board.

Coni

Re: Here’s Your Answer - Posted by Brad Crouch

Posted by Brad Crouch on April 12, 1999 at 02:59:03:

Jim,

AMEN! Way to go! Great post! Thanks!

Brad

JP is Number One !!! - Posted by JohnG

Posted by JohnG on April 11, 1999 at 22:01:45:

WOW !!!
Once again you have taken a negative and even nasty comment and turned it into an opportunity to learn something.
I can only imagine the frustration you must feel after putting so much of yourself into answering posts day in and day out. Then you get some yahoo giving you a totally ignorant and inappropriate post.
I, like many regulars, was curious. How is JPiper going to handle this one. Surely, its time for him to show a little crack in the armour and really let this guy have it between the eyes.
But no. You were as cool as the other side of the pillow. You responded with intelligence. class, and a total lack of anger and spite. And who knows - maybe you even got through to the writer of the original post. Score one more for the good guys !!!

Re: Here’s Your Answer - Posted by Jerry Greer

Posted by Jerry Greer on April 11, 1999 at 17:18:55:

Jim, You’re cracking me up. If he wants it, He will take it. It is just that simple. There are no excuses. Only options.
Ps, Can you teach someone to answer questions in the “Jim Piper” style? LOL!

Re: Here’s Your Answer - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on April 11, 1999 at 15:14:49:

Very nice direct answer getting to the heart of the matter: taking responsibility for one’s own future.

As usual, your giving nature outdoes nearly anyone here on these newsgroups. I certainly appreciate your efforts and your input.

MOST INFO IS FREE - Posted by Nancy in NC

Posted by Nancy in NC on April 11, 1999 at 16:38:43:

A library card is free!!! Most of my real estate education was from the library or a $10 - $15 book. Then after I was doing real estate, I paid for my seminars out of cash flow and wrote it off as a business expense.

Be patient and READ READ READ

Re: JUST ATFQ!!! - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on April 11, 1999 at 12:10:08:

I am beginning to TRULY understand what Kiyosaki and other people who have made it go through. There is a certain mentality of entitlements that many people have. They feel they “deserve” things instead of “earning” or “appreciating” things.

People want to help by contributing but it is unreasonable for things to be “totally free”. Heck, I am not rich myself but I can already feel myself shutting down to helping people because of their negativity and lack of appreciation. How does one give back when confronted with this nonsense all the time? In the end, I believe people give up because of frustration.