Just DBA on Deed? - Posted by alan

Posted by alan on September 12, 2003 at 19:44:04:

Thanks John for getting right to the heart of the matter. I did resolve this and will be able sell the property with confidence. I read and appreciate all your knowledgable posts.

Thanks again.

Just DBA on Deed? - Posted by alan

Posted by alan on September 11, 2003 at 15:13:10:

I am in CA. I am in the process of setting up my Corp and only have a DBA (sole proprietor) at the time.

I am buying an empty lot from somone for a nominal fee.
On the deed can I just put (not real co name):

hereby GRANT(S)to

Homebuyers

or

Homebuyers, a California Company

with out putting my name on the deed? I don’t want my name showing on the deed. Or what other ways can I write the deed up?

alan

Re: Just DBA on Deed? - Posted by William Bronchick

Posted by William Bronchick on September 15, 2003 at 19:22:19:

Title companies generally don’t like the DBA idea. They do have special endorsements for the mortgage company having a DBA, but they prefer the name of the insured buyer to be spelled out.

Re: Just DBA on Deed? - Posted by John Merchant

Posted by John Merchant on September 11, 2003 at 18:43:20:

I think the real issue is going to be how are you going to be able to sell it later.

Let’s say you DO use a DBA to buy, but then when it comes time to sell, if the buyer wants a title policy, you’re going to have to prove to the title co. that YOU are really the owner.

That being said, I think it would benefit you to talk to one of the title co. lawyers NOW to see what they’ll require when you sell…to see if the DBA fits your needs.