Kansas City - Posted by Kevin Kirby

Posted by KC Questions on March 06, 2002 at 15:13:35:

A lot of people here have a renter’s mindset. A lot of great companies are headquartered here such as Sprint, Hallmark, H&R Block and others, so in my opinion the job market seems pretty stable, which means my tenants seem to be more stable in my rentals. There are plenty of houses here that you can buy and rehab for under $30k that will rent for $600/month. There has been a lot of new construction in the inner city, which should translate to higher home prices in the future since there has been new legislation passed to attract businesses and their revenues to improve the “urban core.” I typically invest in this area, but there are a lot of areas with higher end homes, if that is what you are after. I believe Kansas City is a great place to invest in.
Good luck on your move.

Kansas City - Posted by Kevin Kirby

Posted by Kevin Kirby on March 06, 2002 at 14:20:13:

If any forum participants are familiar with the Kansas City, MO market, I would appreciate any information about housing market. We are considering a move later this year. Thanks in advance.

Re: Kansas City - Posted by JFinke KC

Posted by JFinke KC on March 06, 2002 at 16:21:08:

Kevin

The KC metro generally has lower property values than most other metros throughout the nation. This is good news if you are moving from one of the coasts.

From an investing standpoint, the area is full of opportunity. The KC Housing Authourity recently restructured its Section 8 rental prices (very favorable for landlords) and they have a big waiting list for housing. As KC Questions said, there are plenty of houses that fit the “rehab and rent” profile.

Also mentioned was a resurgence into the urban areas of KC. This is sparking a boom in the condo market. Alot of opportunity for big-time development in this market.

If you want to know anything more specific, please let us know.

Good Luck,

JFinke KC