(Katrina) Newly built trailer park... - Posted by The55+Guy

Posted by Neil (MS) on October 14, 2005 at 10:21:54:

Yeah, a lot of folks around here were getting in on that. The real money is (or was) in debris removal, esp. if you had your own dump trailer or dump truck, loader, and crew. Thousands per day were typical. I think that’s dropped off a bit.

My wife was seriously considering driving who knows how far to buy a 1-ton truck to haul FEMA trailers with. She wants one to haul horse trailers with, and I’ve been adamant that a $35k truck to just drive around in (which is what most of them do 99% of the time) getting 13mpg is not a real wise purchase. On the other hand, if she could have paid for it in a few months, I was game.

The reality is always harsher: at least in this part of the country, every 'neck around had the same idea: good pay, and it sure beats running a chainsaw all day. They had more haulers here than they needed.

Neil

(Katrina) Newly built trailer park… - Posted by The55+Guy

Posted by The55+Guy on October 14, 2005 at 09:49:10:

LA, 10/11 ( DeRidder Beauregard Daily News )- The government’s head of Hurricane Katrina relief efforts made a surprise visit to a newly built trailer park Saturday and said plans are moving forward for hundreds of similar makeshift towns to house residents displaced by the storm.

U.S. Coast Guard Vice Adm. Thad Allen called the construction of the park that holds more than 570 trailers next to this city some 91 miles northwest of New Orleans “pretty remarkable.”

“This went from nothing to something in about five weeks,” said Allen, who chatted with some of the residents who have filled nearly 200 of the small trailers equipped with air conditioning, plumbing and TV antennas.

Allen also checked out day’s food offerings: barbecued beef sandwiches, coleslaw and potato salad. “Looks good to me,” he said.

The park is laid out like a small town, with gravel roads, street lights and power lines.

Allen said about 120,000 trailers and mobile homes are expected to be delivered to Louisiana for evacuees in the coming weeks. The optimum size of each park will be about 200 housing units, but FEMA officials have said some trailers are also being be placed on the property of residents who are repairing their property. Other people may wind up in hotels or other settings, FEMA officials have said.

President Bush has said all Gulf Coast evacuees should be out of shelters by the middle of this month. The American Red Cross on Saturday said 23,970 Gulf Coast residents displaced by hurricanes Katrina and Rita had stayed in shelters around the country the night before.

“That goal is 15 October and we’re working toward that,” Allen said.

Timothy Ray Leonard, of Jefferson Parish, said he was happy to be moving into one of the trailers.

“I’m glad to be out of that shelter,” he said.

One elderly man who arrived at the trailer town Saturday simply dug into his pocket and pulled out the keys to his new home when asked if he has gotten housing.

“Great,” John Jackson said when asked if he liked the trailer: “Convenient, private.”

Jackson, of New Orleans, had been living in a shelter at a nearby church. He said his son was searching for more permanent accommodations and he wasn’t sure how long he would stay in the park.

“Might be a month, might be a week,” he said.

Re: (Katrina) Newly built trailer park… - Posted by Lyal

Posted by Lyal on October 14, 2005 at 10:11:52:

Chuck,
Any idea how they’re handling the water / sewage for these “instant communities”? Are they putting in a small waste treatment plant, septic systems, drilling wells? Pretty obvious, in the interest of expedience to get shelter for the displaced masses, they’re exempt from any zoning / environmental issues here.
Do you think they’ll just tear these communities out after 18 mos (not sure what’s happening in FLA now that they’re winding down).
Lyal

Re: (Katrina) Newly built trailer park… - Posted by Neil(MS)

Posted by Neil(MS) on October 14, 2005 at 10:01:41:

Funny you would post this right now. I’m located about 35 miles north of the MS Gulf Coast, and I was just on the phone for about the 10th time trying to run somebody down who could tell me if FEMA wants a couple of my properties for those trailers or not. I suspect not because I’m pretty far north for them, but they seemed interested a few weeks ago when I began trying to get a bid to them.

There is a big short-term profit potential for these temporary parks. In my case it would fit in perfectly what the development I want to do to the sites anyway.

Of course, these are nothing like those in Lousiana. For one thing, many of the people here with damaged houses have large lots that they can set the trailer on so they can be on their own property. Many of the neighborhoods that flooded in New Orleans were basically tenements, so there are no big lawns and side yards to put trailers in. Those folks will be displaced for a long time; some of them permanently.

Neil

Re: (Katrina) Newly built trailer park… - Posted by The55+Guy

Posted by The55+Guy on October 14, 2005 at 10:27:12:

There’s noting in the article that indicates one way or the other… but given the number of spaces (500+), I’m more inclined to think it’s on city utilities than a private system.

From what I’ve read in other articles and from people (park owners) I’ve talked to… the contract the park has with FEMA is the key… on average, they seem to be paying twice the normal lot rent and you can keep the homes when the contract expires for about 10% of their cost to purchase.

Keep in mind that’s not set in stone and may vary from contract to contract… but that’s what I’m hearing.

As far as leaving these ‘temporary cities’ in place… I’d imagine that would be negotiable between the land owner and FEMA, but I haven’t heard anything firm on it (yet).

There’s a park (mh subdivision actually) in Pensacola that took in a bunch of FEMA s/w’s about a year back… they just extended that contract for another 2 years and FEMA is bulk-leasing the spaces at $60,000 a month.

Re: (Katrina) Newly built trailer park… - Posted by The55+Guy

Posted by The55+Guy on October 14, 2005 at 10:14:38:

Most people don’t know this… but the ‘RV Capital’ of the US is Elkart, Indiana (near Lake Michigan)… meaning that all the factories are there.

The regional ‘car book’ there (autorv.com) has been running 2 ads (from different sources) for the last month or so that are looking to hire "FEMA Drivers’… the only requirement is that you have a truck or suv capable of towing a rv… the pay is either $1,000 per run, about 2 days (from company a) or $1.12/mile with fuel cost adjustment and a one-year contract (from company b).