Keeping Section 8 Out of My Rentals - Posted by Frank

Re: sometimes a protected class - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on June 06, 2007 at 10:17:50:

“In some municipalities, Section 8 IS a
protected class.”

Could you post a link to this?? I would love to read about this. Because “tenants who are unable to pay” are NEVER a protected class AFAIK. And by definition… Sec 8 tenants are unable to pay. That is why they are in the program.

I DO agree with the previous poster, that lying about it not good. Just say you do not accept Sec 8 and I would think you will be fine.

Re: Keeping Section 8 Out of My Rentals - Posted by Rich-CA

Posted by Rich-CA on June 06, 2007 at 11:58:34:

First, I have to say that my properties, being out of state, are managed by property managers. They talk to the housing department, document the damage, file whatever reports are asked (its a Federal program, but because its locally administered, there are differences in how things are done). Property Managers deal with Sec. 8 all the time and many of them have contacts inside the office that deals with enforcement.

Re: Great Point - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on June 08, 2007 at 11:22:10:

Berno:

That’s funny.

A variation of my dad’s “dumb Chinaman” routine. When solicitors used to call, “it’s naw Englaash, solly, long numba”.

I should try that when someone asks about “section 8”, though I have to polish up on my bad accent.

Frank Chin

Very Good n/t - Posted by RJB(MA)

Posted by RJB(MA) on June 07, 2007 at 15:17:47:

n/t

Re: I Stand Corrected - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on June 06, 2007 at 16:12:15:

I was more interested in cities such as Seattle that spell out “Section 8” as
a protected class.

Re: I Stand Corrected - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on June 06, 2007 at 13:38:24:

"There is at least one state (Massachusetts) which prohibits landlords from discriminating based on “sources of income.”

Im not saying this statute is not on the books but…

1. Section 8 is NOT a source of income for the tenant.

2. So we are saying that if someone puts down on their rental application that their profession is Cocaine Dealer then I can’t refuse to rent to them based on that??? O.o

Re: Great Point - Posted by Berno

Posted by Berno on June 08, 2007 at 14:30:07:

Now THAT was funny Frank! Actually, it started out as sincere…I really DIDN’T know anything about Section 8. I did ask around but since I still don’t know the program specifics, I can honestly say that I would need more information. I have not had one person ever get back to me. I guess I’ll call this the ‘under-educated Irish guy’ routine…although being from Iowa gives me no accent to heighten the effect.

-Berno

Imagine this - Posted by Wayne-NC

Posted by Wayne-NC on June 06, 2007 at 17:13:16:

Too bad there’re not an endangered species.

Yes it is Income (in Mass) - Posted by Jimmy

Posted by Jimmy on June 07, 2007 at 07:41:09:

in the Massachusetts case I read about, a management company got nailed for a couple things. (a) the would not treat the Section 8 voucher amount as “income” when computing rent to income ratios, and (b) the set their rent to income ratio requirement just low enough so that Section 8 tenants would never qualify.