Key words for MLS search?? Steve, Jim Piper and others - Posted by CarolFL

Posted by CarolFL on April 15, 1999 at 19:40:43:

I have a friend …

Key words for MLS search?? Steve, Jim Piper and others - Posted by CarolFL

Posted by CarolFL on April 15, 1999 at 17:44:17:

I know that this subject weaves its way into a number of posts from time to time - however, may I be so crass as to request that all and sundried volunteer their favorite (read that “most useful”) key words for MLS searches?

As of next MOnday I will have access to our MLS, and I am looking forward to maximizing its usage!

thanks for repeating yourselves.

Carol

Re: Sorry to take away from your parade… - Posted by Sheik

Posted by Sheik on April 16, 1999 at 06:39:40:

…but I too have access :wink:

I would imagine that the format of the listing would vary from city to city. The MLS may even offer classes on “how to” for a nominal fee. You may be able to attend through your “freind”. He can introduce you as a new (soon to be) licencee (wink).

The following pertains, of course, to my area.

There is a one word “Condition” field that states (that’s right) the condition of the property.
Realtors, of course, uses a dictionary of their own. You should see what they describe as “GOOD”! “GOOD” usually means $15K-$20K repairs.
I check the “CONDITION” field for all words except “MINT”, “MINT+”, “DIAMOND” etc. After you look at a few listings, you’ll learn the Realtors Dictionary.

Also there is a “REMARK” section that consists of 4 lines that the listing Realtor can put whatever he/she wishes. I check here for keywords such as - foreclosure, forclosure (yes, they sometimes misspell it), REO, As Is, handyman, investor, bank etc.

Again, you’ll get the feel after looking at a few listings.

Best of luck.

Sheik

See John Behle’s article… - Posted by Brkr2000

Posted by Brkr2000 on April 16, 1999 at 24:28:05:

Carol,
congratulations- you will have access to one of the most powerful rei tools available. I suggest you read John Behle’s article “A Million A Month”, it’s located in the “How To Articles” section of this website.

Re: Key words for MLS search?? Steve, Jim Piper and others - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on April 15, 1999 at 21:29:44:

Carol,
Here in Maryland they have drop down lists for all categories. The lists are somewhat limited and if the realtor puts it in wrong you don’t get what you are looking for, but most of them do it right.
I go into the sections where they refer to financing and they have categories for REO’s, Foreclosures and Pre foreclosures.
Then I do a seperate search under the condition area and look for homes that Need work, Rehab potential, As-Is, and Shells.
Hope this helps.

SCook85

harumph ! - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on April 15, 1999 at 18:26:44:

YEA, yea, yea… brag why don’t ya ! hehehe Geez, wish I had MLS access… harumph.

Here, this is how they list repo’s : under “owner”, they just put “corporate”. Let us know how you do !

Laure :slight_smile: one of the “others” LOL

Re: Key words for MLS search?? Steve, Jim Piper and others - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on April 15, 1999 at 17:53:26:

Carol, just curious-

How did you get access? It’s not easy here in Phoenix.

Stacy

Re: Key words for MLS search?? Steve, Jim Piper and others - Posted by CarolFL

Posted by CarolFL on April 15, 1999 at 21:41:49:

Thanks, that was just the kind of thing I was looking for, Steve.

Carol