kilz didn't work - Posted by rblack

Posted by Jerry Freeman on April 20, 2002 at 07:29:50:

Hi, Tim.

Great information. Thank you.

If you wouldn’t mind my making a suggestion, posting in all caps is considered shouting, it’s harder to read, and some people think it’s annoying. It’s clear from the text of your post that you aren’t intending to shout, maybe just happened to type that way.

Best wishes, and thanks again for the great information. I hope you’ll keep posting. It’s obvious that there’s a lot you can teach us.

Jerry

kilz didn’t work - Posted by rblack

Posted by rblack on April 18, 2002 at 20:49:44:

Tried kilz on the ceiling stains. One coat then another coat a couple of hours later. The stain still shows through.
Try enamel next?
Thanks

Try Bins Sealer… - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on April 19, 2002 at 19:08:57:

When faced with really stubborn stains, such as terrible water spots or lots of nicotine, I have found “Bins Sealer” (product name) to be a superior product to Kilz…

You will need to use the oil base product, as previously suggested, but I go for the Bins over Kilz when I need heavy hiding results. My painter put me on to this product, and he used to do fire damage repair, of both smoke and water issues. His first choice.

Just the way that I view things…

JT-IN

Ceiling water stains … - Posted by Jerry Freeman

Posted by Jerry Freeman on April 19, 2002 at 09:54:45:

… I’ve posted this so that there will be a title that will make it easy to find this string in the archives. This is good information, and it will be to everyone’s advantage if people can refer to it later, rather than having to start over again.

Best wishes,
Jerry

Re: kilz didn’t work - Posted by dandrews

Posted by dandrews on April 19, 2002 at 09:29:53:

Is it dried out? Is there water coming in? If it is wet and/or moisture still coming it, get that taken care of first.

Re: kilz didn’t work - Posted by Karl (Oh)

Posted by Karl (Oh) on April 18, 2002 at 22:38:52:

My experience has been that the water based Kilz, thought easier to work with, doesn’t seal stains well. The oil based in much better. One coat of oil has always sufficed, even in heavy smoker’s homes, at least so far.

Karl Kleiner

Re: kilz didn’t work - Posted by terryr

Posted by terryr on April 18, 2002 at 22:10:49:

use shellac and recoat and LET DRY - cover with kilz

Re: kilz didn’t work - Posted by Jerry Freeman

Posted by Jerry Freeman on April 18, 2002 at 21:26:22:

You might want to talk to a paint store person about what their customers are getting the best results with for covering stains. What you’re trying to do isn’t specialized to mobile homes, so a paint expert will be at least as knowledgeable as an experienced MH person.

Here’s a basic idea to try. If the product that didn’t work was latex based (cleanup with water), try a stain blocking sealer that’s oil based (cleanup with mineral spirits). Or vice versa, if the Kilz formula you tried was the original, solvent based version. I would stay with a product that’s designed to block stains. Over time, I’ve accumulated three or four different stain-blocking primers. That allows me to try an interior or exterior one or a latex- or oil-based one. Sometimes, it takes more than one try.

Best wishes,
Jerry

Re: kilz didn’t work - Posted by TIM TUSKE

Posted by TIM TUSKE on April 20, 2002 at 07:13:25:

THESE SEALERS THAT HAVE BEEN MENTIONED WHY ALL GOOD PRODUCTS DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH PIGMENT/SOLIDS TO COVER UP THESE STAINS. THE BEST SEALERS ACTUALLY COVER THE LEAST. EX.CLEAR SHELLAC. AFTER THE TILE IS SEALED A COAT OF FLAT PAINT SHOULD SOLVE THE PROBLEM. THE PAINT COULD ALSO BE TINTED TO MATCH THE COLOR OF THE TILE SINCE THEY ARE NOT PURE WHITE BUT MORE ON THE GRAY SIDE. MOST OF THESE SEALERS MENTIONED WILL ALSO HAVE A SHINE TO THEM IF NOT PAINTED OVER. A NEWER PRODUCT ON THE MARKET MADE BY ZINSEER IS THE ODORLESS OIL BASE - WHITE CAN ORANGE LABEL - THIS WILL COVER IN 2 COATS AND DRY WITH A FLAT FINISH AND IF TINTED IT SHOULD BE TINTED NO MORE THAN 75% STRENGTH. PRIMERS DRY DARKER THAN DOES REGULAR PAINT. SORRY FOR THE LENGTH OF THIS POST BUT I HOPE THE INFO IS HELPFUL. IAM A PAINTER IN A LARGE HOSPITAL AND DEAL WITH STAINED TILES ALL THE TIME. A WORD ABOUT ADVICE FROM STORE WORKERS. MOST PEOPLE WORKING IN HOME DEPOT, LOEWS ETC. KNOW LESS ABOUT THESE PROBLEMS THAN YOU DO. THE WORKERS IN MAJOR PAINT STORE CHAINS ARENT THAT MUCH BETTER. THEY JUST SELL WHAT THE COMPANY LINE IS. AS A RESULT YOU GET PRODUCTS THAT DONT WORK AND YOUR MONEY IS WASTED. DEAL WITH THE MANAGER OR ASSISTANT MANAGER THEY ARE MORE KNOWLEGDEABLE, BUT MOST DONT HAVE ANY REAL PAINT WORLD EXPERIENCE. I WOULD BE GLAD TO TRY TO HELP WITH PAINTING PROBLEMS. ONCE AGAIN SORRY FOR THE LENGTH.

TIM TURSKE