KILZ tip

Tony’s thread about exterior painting brought up some questions and comments about the KILZ primer that is repeatedly recommended and used by MH (and other) investors.

When using KILZ as the paint, I have always found that it is painfully white. While that may be OK for you, I find that potential buyers and especially rental applicants like a little more subdued hues, or even color (I like the painful white for ceilings still, however). You can have the paint store tint your 5 gal bucket of KILZ - it is usually not as perfect as the color mixtures into the interior “base” like a normal paint order, but it is quite 'good ‘nuf’. And it still has the covering capability to hide nicotine or water stains.

When I first had the paint girl try this, there was hardly any room in the bucket for tint; she was hesitant to add color. She put in what she could, and it worked fine; was a khaki/tan color. Subsequently, a more experienced paint guy showed me this tip:

Before opening the top of the can for the first time to add tint, hold the can upright about 6-12" up from the floor, and drop it straight down. Do this a couple of times, and it “compresses” the paint down into the can just enough to put in a normal amount of tint. Then get it shaken like normal.

Great tip, Steve. I have found, at least with the tint colors I have selected, that the darker I go into tan/beige/whatever territory, the less it covers. I recommend a very light tint if you are going to try this. Just enough to provide contrast with the white ceiling. Otherwise, as many times as you re-roll it, it will still come off looking like tinted primer (as opposed to paint), ie, poor coverage.

Jeff

l lean toward the tannish, rather than off-white. Works for me. But not greens or blues or whatever; that is too taste-related for turnover to a tenant or buyer, IMO.

I have gotten a small can tinted to match the color of a nicotine-stained ceiling, to cover water stains and blend in LOL. It worked too!

By the time I roll 2 coats of Kilz primer on the ceilings I’m too tired to paint the ceiling. If it’s clean and white with the primer, why bother with ceiling paint? Isn’t it ok to just use primer as ceiling paint?

[QUOTE=Unregistered;882586]By the time I roll 2 coats of Kilz primer on the ceilings I’m too tired to paint the ceiling. If it’s clean and white with the primer, why bother with ceiling paint? Isn’t it ok to just use primer as ceiling paint?[/QUOTE]

I agree although I don’t hink I have ever had to roll 2 coats of kilz to cover a ceiling. If you use a 3/4" nap roller cover it covers in 1.

Tony