kitchen cabinets - Posted by Dee

Posted by Scott on October 28, 2003 at 22:49:54:

I’ve installed IKEA kitchen cabinets. They are cheap, look nice, but mostly, very fast to install.

kitchen cabinets - Posted by Dee

Posted by Dee on October 28, 2003 at 21:11:42:

Has anyone that rehabs found reasonable kitchen cabinets? I had been using Lowes Berkely Cabinets but they have discontinued them and raised the price. I prefer to use white cabinets.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Re: kitchen cabinets - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on October 29, 2003 at 13:06:03:

I have been using Mills Pride, a bit more labor than the prefabs at Lowes… since they need assembled… I have been told Ikea has nice inexpensive cabinets, but haven’t used them yet… probably will check them out for next rehab.

Re: kitchen cabinets - Posted by JeffGinFL

Posted by JeffGinFL on October 29, 2003 at 12:36:03:

How often are you getting new cabinets for your rehabs?? I used to use the Berkelys too until I struck a deal with a local cabinet maker. I take the majority of my business to him and he gives me some good price breaks. If your volume is there, ask around for some local cabinet makers and see what you can do.

Also - I’ve found some painters recently that can make anything look brand new with paint - and I mean anything. I’m in Central Fla and this husband/wife team I use previously worked at some of the theme parks (Universal, Disney, etc) and they painted the store fronts and scenery for the parks - they are really talented and can make even the worst looking wall, cabinet, exterior, roof (yup - even a roof!) look like it’s brand new. I have do stuff in some of my rentals if I don’t want to incurr the expense of getting new cabinets.

Just some thoughts…

JeffGinFL

Re: kitchen cabinets - Posted by Eric - GA

Posted by Eric - GA on October 28, 2003 at 21:41:09:

Home Depot has mill’s pride…similar to berkely, and sometimes cheaper.

This month’s Fine Homebuilding has a whole article on mail-order cabinets.

If you’re near an IKEA, they have some very affordable pre-fab cabinets.

I’ve also found local cabinet shops that will make them custom for prices similar to HD or Lowes.

much success

Eric - GA

EL Cheapo Kitchen rehab - Posted by Kevin_IL

Posted by Kevin_IL on October 29, 2003 at 14:10:40:

Paint cabs as Jeff suggested and replace the hardware with updated style. For around $50 or less you can get a big impact. The shiny new knobs draw the eye away from the not-so-pretty cabinets.

This works with the cheap DIY cabinets from HD & Lowe’s too. Most people will see the nice hardware and assume the cabinets are of equal quality.