Kitchen Flooring Options - Rentals - Posted by Duke

Posted by Lyal on September 05, 2003 at 13:00:34:

“Less than a buck a square foot” is doable, no problem. I might add that it’s a LOT easier to install than ceramic too.
Lyal

Kitchen Flooring Options - Rentals - Posted by Duke

Posted by Duke on September 04, 2003 at 22:03:20:

Looking for some suggestions for kitchen flooring options for long term rentals. I should add that I also advertise my homes as For Sale or For Rent and potential customers are generally taken by the nice tile work I have had done in the past. My inclination is to always use ceramic tile because I can generally get it for around $.70 a square foot or so and it is pretty durable. I always add this to my bathroom floors and usually have it hung on a diagnol on the tub surround which really makes it look nice.

Should I continue bothering with this expense in the kitchen or should I go for vinyl tile like my contractor recommends? Just looking for suggestions. Thanks!

Thanks for all of the advice everyone!! - Posted by Duke

Posted by Duke on September 05, 2003 at 09:29:36:

Thanks.

Re: Kitchen Flooring Options - Rentals - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on September 05, 2003 at 07:14:35:

Duke:

I would go with the vinyl tile. It’ll go well both with rental and for sale. For the rental, I’d buy an extra box as tenants tend to damage a few tiles, and you can replace several tiles without redoing the whole floor, or get mismatched tiles later on doing repairs.

Believe me, I’ve been through it.

If its not an upscale house, vinyl tile will do fine. If its really upscale, I beleive the buyers may have their own tastes on decorating, and rip them out soon enough.

Frank Chin

How about laminated floor? - Posted by Lyal

Posted by Lyal on September 05, 2003 at 07:13:13:

Duke,
I’ve been using laminate (looks like Pergo) in the entry-way and kitchens for the past 2 yrs or so. I buy the low end stuff when it’s on sale for $.65 to $.99 a square foot. It’s the “no glue” type with kind of a tongue-and-groove deal. Install over a foam underlayment (right over the old vinyl), leave a 3/16 gap around the edge (covered with quarter-round molding). Not fastened down, it just “floats”.
Lots of OOOHHH factor when they first see it, very durable (keep a few pieces to replace if it gets chipped), easy for a handy-person to install, and inexpensive.
All the best, Lyal

Re: Kitchen Flooring Options - Rentals - Posted by Jonathan RexfordFL

Posted by Jonathan RexfordFL on September 05, 2003 at 07:10:49:

Duke,

If its a slab another alternative is to grind the floor seal it and paint solid colors…I know its sounds crazy but I have been in a few homes here lately and its pretty neat.

Re: Kitchen Flooring Options - Rentals - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on September 04, 2003 at 22:32:01:

Duke-----------

Well, I think that there may not be an answer to this question if you are going to simultaneously try to sell and to rent the house. At least, I would give opposite answers for selling or holding as a rental.

If you are justing holding for rental, I’d go with vinyl unless this is an upscale neighborhood, in which case I’d say it is a toss-up.

And then it comes down to single tile or sheet goods? I’d recommend sheet goods with some pattern that would allow cutting out a portion and replace with new material should there be damage, such as when the refrigerator is removed or moved. Something like a fake tile pattern, where one could cut out along the “grout lines” without much problem. Then keep a couple of yards extra after the job is done. I sometimes put it into the attic.

If you are only going to sell, sure do the cermanic tile, since you can get it at such a good price. Provided that people in the neighborhood like that.

Good InvestingRon Starr*******

Re: How about laminated floor? - Posted by Duke

Posted by Duke on September 05, 2003 at 09:26:15:

I am all for the “ooh la la” factor so that is why I am kinda hesitant to go with the vinyl. In today’s market, I like to blow potential customers away with upgrades and the ceramic tile treatment I do in my bathrooms alwas warrants a double take from the customer. I haven’t tried the laminate yet, but I may give it a go in a house I am starting on now…especially if I can get it at the price I normally pay for ceramic tile (less than a buck a square foot). Thanks for the advice.

Duke

E.

Re: Kitchen Flooring Options - Rentals - Posted by Duke

Posted by Duke on September 05, 2003 at 09:28:20:

This is what I do in the garage (when I am lucky enough to find a house with one!!) and it does look pretty slick. Most of the houses though are on a crawl space with typical plywood underlayment for the floor.

E.

I agree except… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on September 05, 2003 at 05:52:40:

that I don’t put the extra yards in the attic, due to excessive heat there. I bag it in a trash bag, label it with the house address and store in the basement in a coll but dry area. Moisture and heat will destroy the sheet goods over time.

David Krulac