Kollege, Kiyosaki and karp (long.ugh.) - Posted by karp

Posted by Laure on March 15, 1999 at 21:08:59:

Carol, You’re such a stitch ! Still laughing at that one… I like the “bars”…

Laure :slight_smile:

Kollege, Kiyosaki and karp (long.ugh.) - Posted by karp

Posted by karp on March 15, 1999 at 02:37:47:

You know,

A lot has been said here lately about college.
It is good.
It is bad.
It is irrelevant, etc.

I have been investing for 7 years now and while I kind of always knew college wasn’t important compared to MANY other factors in determining your success, it didn’t sink home until today.

I was at the park flying a kite with my wife and kids and I was having a flashback to the campus “grassy park area” in front of the Library at Florida State University. I used to hang out there alot while at school.

My wife and I got to talking and she mentioned casually that my son would probably get scholarshipped in something! Either for her family’s athletic genes or my side’s brains(!?!)

I laughed and said “It doesn’t matter- he’s gonna do whatever he wants to do. If he wants to go to college he’ll find a way to pay for it.”

Now this wasn’t me being a jerk. It wasn’t me being a tough love dad or anything like that either. And it wasn’t me being naive or stupidly optomistic. It was more of an unconsious thought than anything.

Because IN MY MIND, I had already seen a child who had been born and raised in an environment that ONLY played in the RIGHT half of the quadrant.(Read Kiyosaki if you dont get this) THAT is where we belong. THAT is our birthright.

See, my mind had shifted so profoundly that I saw that the things I wanted to teach my son were quite simple and had little to do with formalized education:

love learning and never stop
stay entrepreneurial and be self reliant
find your ethics and decide them BEFORE you get tempted
practice healthy rebellion
laugh and make yourself and others happy
live boldly

So I realized my whole formal education trip had become less important! I used to be the Champion in the crusade of higher, formal education. (Heck, I got 4 degrees from FSU before I turned 21 and- No, I don’t use em! lol!)

Anyway, I realized the very, very real change that has manifested in me. I always knew INTELLECTUALLY that your attitude, drive, moxie, etc. were the important factors in determining your success. NOW, I feel that at a much deeper level. I know it in my gut.

SO what will my son’s life look like being rasied on the right half of the quadrant? I dunno, call me in 15 years.

And I don’t want to seem glib about planning my son’s college education, I mean that would be pretty darn foolish, right?

And chances are, rebellion being what it is, he will grow up and REALLY want to be an accountant or worse, an attorney! Blech! HA!

BUT, I just don’t see how I could ever get back to that kind of bad poverty thinking that would even assume he would work for anyone else. I mean, I had to unlearn the bad and learn the good and am currently operating at 110% unstoppable.

How scary will my son be if he is always raised with the good prosperity mindset and never even considers the bad poverty mindset? Very Scary Indeed…

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant.
Hope this resonates with a few of you.

karp

Re: Kollege, Kiyosaki and karp (long.ugh.) - Posted by vincent scott

Posted by vincent scott on May 24, 1999 at 17:51:20:

If we take the sum of all the great thinkers on the subject of success and distill them down to the core ideas. I come up with desire, knowledge, and the ability to be a free thinker as the top requirements for life success.

After reading Mr. Ziglar, Mr Nightingale, Mr. McCormick, Mr. Kiyosaki, and a host of others this seems to be quite evident. A formal education is good but not a requirement for success. If our endeavors require formal education then you will obtain it because of your desire, but how many inventions have been created by the so called uneducated?

To a certain extent a formal education closes a mind as much as it expands it. For every prejudice that education eradicates there is a rule that education tells you can’t be broken.

These are just a few thoughts off the top of my head, keep striving for success.

V.
Formally educated chemist

Re: Kollege, Kiyosaki and karp (long.ugh.) - Posted by Nick

Posted by Nick on March 15, 1999 at 20:36:53:

I have to disagree with you Karp. College is important.
College allows a person to grow and to learn about
themselves.

College graduates also make more money than non-college
graduates. What do you think about that?

Also, without a college degree these days, you do not
have a future, it is as simple as that! Without a
college education, you can’t land a nice job.

Oh yeah, now you will knock down college and the
concept of having a job.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with good, descent,
respectable, hard work!

Re: Kollege, Kiyosaki and karp (long.ugh.) - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on March 15, 1999 at 20:06:13:

In spite of being a business major, the things I really feel I got the most out of in college had little to do with a job or making money. They were the classes on literature, history, and psychology. I always find that stuff fascinating, but that is my preference and in reality it doesn’t mean much of squat after graduation day.

As for most the business classes, I truthfully feel like I could have thrown away 90% of the info they gave me into the trash can. I feel most college graduates would do tremendously better in “real life” if they were forced to read books like “How to Win Friends and Influence People”, “Rich Dad Poor Dad”, “Richest Man in Babylon”, “Magic of Thinking Big”, etc. Why aren’t we studying that stuff in college instead of all those boring useless textbooks that cost $75 each and nobody remembers after they pass the tests?

IN THE PROCESS OF “RE-EDUMIKATING” MYSELF,

ROB FL

Re: Kollege, Kiyosaki and Karp (long.ugh.) - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Bill Gatten on March 15, 1999 at 14:39:37:

Karpo, m’man,

Your stuff is on the way. Thanks for everything.

Re. you post: Let me say that I have 4 boys (all grown). All were very successful in their respective job choices, but the first three did NOT go to college… raised by me and an ex-wife with the attitude that, if you’re going to college, you’ll by-dang pay for it yer own self (none did); the fourth (raised partially by me and his mother) is the laziest of them all, and demanded assistance to go to college. At this point he’s spent the last six years going to college, jet skiiing, partying, laughing it up and being a general professional student. However, it’s all over with now (time to pay the piper). He passed the bar several months ago, married a beauty who also passed the bar, and they are working their respective buns off legiculalating, opinionating (for a fee) and buying real estate hand over fist.

Now… the punch line. I love my first three… but this fourth one… I have to be nice to him, as he and his ice cream cup little bundle of wifey are now two of my legal advisors and have saved me about ten times what a college education costs.

And…and… best part… when I get old[er], they have to take me in and brush my gums everyday!

Bill

Re: Kollege, Kiyosaki and karp (long.ugh.) - Posted by Patricia (Ct)

Posted by Patricia (Ct) on March 15, 1999 at 10:36:44:

After reading Kiyosaki’s books and listening to him last weekend,
I am starting to teach my daughters what they don’t and won’t learn in school.

I’m glad that I have this opportunity to get to them before the ‘business and professional’ world brainwash
them.

I agree with Laure that kids this age seem interested but aren’t motivated enough, I guess I’ll have to keep showing, by example, what can be achieved.

After last weekend I am VERY motivated…even tho I am new and just starting out.

Karp: The Religion. - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on March 15, 1999 at 10:16:28:

Karp,

Whoa dude, I don’t speak to you for a day or two and all of a sudden you get all SuperFly TNT serious on me!!

Well I see your point. Well put. I’m currently in the process (as you were at one point) where I’m trying to UNLEARN everything I’ve learned. It’s not an easy task but one I look forward to mastering. However long it takes me, I WILL succeed. There’s no other option.

I don’t have any kids yet, but I’m going to make sure that if/when I do they’re raised with the right mindset from day ONE (as you said). And yes, now that I think about that it would be REALLY cool. A clean slate. Someplace to cultivate clear positive thoughts, self reliance, and all that “right quadrant” stuff.

Pretty cool indeed.

RL

Re: Kollege, Kiyosaki and karp (long.ugh.) - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on March 15, 1999 at 06:14:01:

My son is 19 next month and has been in college for 2 semesters. He is BEGGING me daily to do a deal with him. He is just so stinking argumentative. So, I give him my tapes and books and tell him to come back when he makes sense. He asks me a question, then argues with my answers. I just don’t have the energy to argue with him. (I guess he got this from his dad !)
Anyway, I also think he should sweat out the first property. Don’t want to hand it to him on a silver platter, he has been a “quitter” at most of what he does. He has been interested in re investing for several months now, almost a year I guess, and keeps begging me to put him in a house to rehab. I told him to get off his lazy behind, learn the market, and make some offers. Raising children is so irritating some times. At least he is not like everyone else and totally gives up on the idea. By the way, I have already offered him “in” on two other deals. He didn’t get out of bed to even drive by them before I made the offer, so he missed out. Here’s hoping our kids “get a clue” and get out of bed before the sun goes back down… LOL

Re: Kollege, Kiyosaki and karp (long.ugh.) - Posted by matt

Posted by matt on May 31, 1999 at 16:52:12:

Question…The teachers,professors,school board and colledges/universitiy “people” are all independently wealthy or run their own business and have passive incomes, so they teach just for the sheer joy of it ? right ?
or are they employes?

does this mean that they teach their emotions?

money is an emotion…more so than it is a thing and for those of us who havnt had the chance to be exposed to the different way of “thinking” (as evidenced in Kiyosaki’s books) it can be very scary territory.

Re: Kollege, Kiyosaki and karp (long.ugh.) - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on March 19, 1999 at 24:41:10:

I recommend college and a job but only as a means to an end and only for a learning experience as Kiyosaki describes. It is hard to be successful without “paying your dues”. Kiyosaki said that verbally quite often at the conference.

If people want to do the Job thing, that is their choice. But it is a sure way of NEVER being wealthy and NEVER being fully independent.

I have studied my way up to getting my MBA and did the corporate thing until I was 28 (now 32). So I think I am qualified to say that college isn’t everything! I don’t regret what I did given my own background and life circumstances. Regarding income & wealth, I do believe the wealthiest people in TODAY’s world didn’t necessarily do the full college thing.

Let everyone select their own path…

Re: Kollege, Kiyosaki and karp (long.ugh.) - Posted by Carol

Posted by Carol on March 16, 1999 at 05:57:09:

The point is not where you START it’s where you GO.

Robert K went to college, served in the Merchant Marine (qualifies as a job in my book) then got a JOB selling, remember?

But these were steps on the way - not ends in themselves.

Which way each of us goes will depend largely on the lessons we need to learn. There is no one RIGHT way, so relax and learn what life has to teach you today.

Carol

Re: Kollege, Kiyosaki and karp (long.ugh.) - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on March 15, 1999 at 22:39:12:

Just a quick story about me. I walked out of a history class my 3rd semester at NC State. I couldn’t stand being there. I wanted to get out and make it in this world. I thought to myself what the probability of me getting a job in the field I was majoring in (acounting) was at the time. Then I reminded myself that I did not want to work for anyone. I picked up my books, walked out and never looked back.

There are many things that a person can do to become well rounded. If you think that going to college to become a more well rounded individual is what it is all about you are missing the boat. I do not know anyone my age that has went to college and graduated that has made more money then I have (not with a job anyway). In fact one of the people my age that has made more money then anyone I know with a job, never spent one day in a college.

There is nothing wrong with going to college, but for anyone who has read Kiyosakis books the thought of working a job for money, is hard to stomach. If you have not already read Kiyosakis books I would do so. You will understand the angle that karp was coming from.

SCook85

Re: Kollege, Kiyosaki and karp (long.ugh.) - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on March 15, 1999 at 22:07:33:

College may be important for some, it just depends on where your goals are, if you can stomach learning something and then come out and have relearn it a different way for pratical purposes. If you have picked up any of kiyosaki’s tapes you will learn that there are seven kinds of Intelligence and College(School) is only one of them. For me I don’t want “job” had one for ten years while running my business, time to work smart not hard.

Besides, what is the statistic, something like 90% of all college grads do not work in the field of what they graduated in. That should tell you something.

Re: Kollege, Kiyosaki and karp (long.ugh.) - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on March 15, 1999 at 21:53:39:

I agree with you that college is important. I think it made me well rounded as a person. I learned alot about economics, proper writing skills, history, and literature.

I also realize I would not have the job I now have without my college degree, however I look around myself at age 29 and see my boss in his mid 40’s not making a whole lot more than me (and I know because he told me so) and working many more hours. I’ve already been working at this place 9 years. Am I really going to be here (or at some other job) another 36 years until I reach age 65? Scary thought.

Why not instead build up some passive income on the right side of the quadrant and eventually be able to make the choice every day as to what I want to do with that day (be it work at a job, volunteer at the kid’s club, sleep in another 3 hours, or go to the beach). I truly feel that I have learned unbelieveably more about succeeding financially by reading Robert Kiyosaki’s and other good books, as well as attending seminars on RE, and actually getting in the trenches and doing deals over the last 6+ years, than I learned in all 16 years of my formal education combined.

Posted by Laure on March 15, 1999 at 21:01:22:

I have worked hard for money all my life, it’s time my money worked hard for me.

Laure

Re: Kollege, Kiyosaki and karp (long.ugh.) - Posted by karp

Posted by karp on March 15, 1999 at 20:52:29:

Dude, relax, I loved college. College graduates do make more than non college graduates, I agree as well.

But let’s talk about what is important!

I really like that you like hard work!
Would you like to come work for me?
I think you would make a GREAT employee!

Thanks,

karp

Yeah but … - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on March 16, 1999 at 12:57:23:

if we as students didn’t spend $75 per book every semester then these professors couldn’t get rich and retire!

I mean, sure the only difference between edition 1 and edition 2 was that they renumbered the pages, BUT THAT’S NOT IMPORTANT!!

I mean, who are you gonna listen to … RICH GUYS or PROFESSORS! :wink:

RL

Posted by Laure on March 15, 1999 at 21:05:39:

Try the game “CASHFLOW”. Playing it with my son has really, really hit him hard ! He’s starting to sound intelligent ! Geez, never thought that would happen.

Re: Kollege, Kiyosaki and karp (long.ugh.) - Posted by Millie I.

Posted by Millie I. on March 15, 1999 at 23:07:44:

Laure,

I couldn’t stop laughing at your post.

Isn’t it wonderful to know that as ‘crazy’ as your family seems to you sometimes, everybody else is screaming about the same thing. Boy, are we boringly normal, LOL.

Don’t worry, sweet revenge will come when you son has his own family. Just don’t rush to help so quickly. Don’t forget to spend your son’s inheritance. LOL.

Enjoy life,
Millie I.