L/O Questions (several) - Posted by Daniel

Posted by JohnBoy on January 24, 2002 at 12:46:35:

Bronchick’s “Nuts & Bolts Of Creative Real Estate Transactions” course has a performance mortgage. This is my favorite course of all. This thing is loaded with just about every legal document pertaining to real estate that you could imagine.

The Performance Rider Addendum is what you could use to attach to any standard mortgage or deed of trust instrument to convert it into a performance mortgage by attaching the addendum to it.

By using the Performance Rider, the terms “Lender” and “Borrower” in a standard mortgage agreement is changed to “Obligee” (You the buyer) and “Obligor” (the seller) by attaching the Performance Rider.

L/O Questions (several) - Posted by Daniel

Posted by Daniel on January 23, 2002 at 03:15:03:

In reviewing the much discussed and popular investment tool of lease options, some questions have arisen that may be benefitial to other newbies and oldies alike
As I understand it, you locate potential leasers who are looking right now to move into a property, lease it for a year or so, then (hopefully) purchase it. Then you locate (the harder part) people who are willing to sell their house on a lease w/ option to purchase basis. You then sign a contract with the two of them and collect the differences in money (option consideration, month to month rent, and purchase at end of year). Seems easy enough. But some questions have arisen even in light of taking a l/o course. Any help would be much appreciated and I am sure beneficial to several.

1. Is it a good idea to let the seller know you actually plan on sub-leasing the property? How do get them to go along with this as they will want to screen the sub-leasers themselves and realize they can get higher rent/option/price with somebody else

2. How do you show someone you will sub-lease to the house in question? wether it is occupied or not you will have to get the sellers permission, and then the seller and sub-leaser have another opportunity to discuss

3. How to check credit/reliability/risks of potential sub-leaser?

4. What if sub-leaser backs out at last minute and you are stuck with lease-option. say 2 weeks later you find another sub-leaser, but then you would have to make THEIR lease for 11.5 months (assuming original lease 1 year)

5. what if sub-leaser doesn’t end up buying house at end of year? all the “gurus” say GREAT, just another option consideration from somebody else, but if you only leased it a year in the first place, you are out of luck for the purchase price and only made a couple thousand the whole year.

6. RISK - you have to wait an entire year to find out that owner has liens against property and it cant be sold

7. on REPAIRS - you agree with owner that repairs over 100 bucks are done by them…so when it happens with your sub-leaser, do they contact you or do they contact original owner directly?

8. if you are leaseing, then sub-leasing, DO or DO NOT record the option and mortage at them public records?

I guess that is probably a good number of questions for now. I hope these make sense as I wanted to ask them in short form rather than going into large detail, know what I mean. I love you guys, this is a great way of communicating and sharing investment ideas for the benefit of all. Bless those of you who put so much time in this board.

Thank you
Daniel Richardson
DanielLeeRichardson@Hotmail.com

Correction. - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on January 25, 2002 at 17:20:09:

Hi Daniel,

Wow, do I have egg on my face or what??? Here I am admonishing you to be professional and use the correct terminology and I can’t even spell correctly.

“In this case, ‘leaser’ should be ‘leasee’ and ‘sub-leaser’ should be ‘sub-leasee’.”

Of course, I should have written:

“In this case, ‘leaser’ should be ‘lessee’ and ‘sub-leaser’ should be ‘sub-lessee’.”

At least I got it right in the next paragraph.

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

Re: L/O Questions (several) - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on January 23, 2002 at 09:37:02:

Daniel,

JohnBoy did a great job of answering your questions. I’d just like to add a couple of thoughts.

Regarding repairs, JohnBoy mentioned limiting the amount that the investor would pay to a negotiated amount, i.e. $500. I’d like to add that if the repairs are necessary due to an insurable event, you can submit a claim to the insurance company. Just be cognizant of the amount of the deductible.

Daniel, please don’t take offense at my next suggestion. It’s truly offered in the hopes of being helpful to you as you launch your real estate investing activities. It would be advisable if you learned the correct terminology involved in the business. There are no such terms as “leaser” or “sub-leaser”. While everyone reading your post could tell what you meant, I’m of the opinion that you’ll be much more professional if you use the correct words. In this case, “leaser” should be “leasee” and “sub-leaser” should be “sub-leasee”.

Lessee - the party to whom a lease is given. (Tenant)

Lessor - the party who gives the lease. (Landlord)

Hope this helps.

BTW, I’d also like to know what lease/option course you took. Either the course has some deficiencies or you missed some of the information in the course.

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

Re: L/O Questions (several) - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on January 23, 2002 at 05:07:00:

1. Is it a good idea to let the seller know you actually plan on sub-leasing the property? How do get them to go along with this as they will want to screen the sub-leasers themselves and realize they can get higher rent/option/price with somebody else

Yes. You inform the seller on what you will be doing with the property. Your business is in helping people to get their homes sold while at the same time helping people be able to buy a home. Your buyers that you help are those that have minor credit issues, or lack of down payment, or new on the job, or new to the area, or self employeed, etc. They need time to establish themselves in order to get a mortgage to buy the property. You help them by being able to lease a property to them while they get established or clean up any credit issues they may have until they can qualify for a bank loan. The seller has nothing to do with screening or approving them. YOU handle all that stuff. YOU are the one guaranteeing payment on the property and taking care of any damages regardless of what your potential buyer does. If they stop paying, YOU handle it by evicting them. If they trash the place, YOU will take care of the repairs and get another buyer. If you’re dealing with MOTIVATED SELLERS then this isn’t an issue.

1. How do you show someone you will sub-lease to the house in question? wether it is occupied or not you will have to get the sellers permission, and then the seller and sub-leaser have another opportunity to discuss.

When you enter into the agreement with the seller your agreement requires the seller to give you a key so you can show the property. If the seller is still living in the property you have them leave when you’re going to be showing it. You might even offer them tickets to a show or a gift certificate to go out to lunch or dinner while you show the property.

1. How to check credit/reliability/risks of potential sub-leaser?

You should be working with a GOOD mortgage broker. They can pull the credit for you and they can tell you where your tenant/buyer stands as far as being able to get a bank loan within the next year. They can tell you what your tenant/buyer will need to do over the next year so they can get qualified for a bank loan. By working with a GOOD mortgage broker you can get your credit checks done while offering the mortgage broker new business by doing the financing for your buyers when they’re ready to get a loan.

1. What if sub-leaser backs out at last minute and you are stuck with lease-option. say 2 weeks later you find another sub-leaser, but then you would have to make THEIR lease for 11.5 months (assuming original lease 1 year)

First of all, when you enter into a L/O with the seller, YOU get a MINIMUM of 3 years. Try for at least 5 years, but don’t settle for less than 3. You can structure it where you get a 1 year L/O with the right to renew for 2 - 4 more, 1 year terms. This allows you plenty of time to deal with getting a tenant/buyer financed.

1. what if sub-leaser doesn’t end up buying house at end of year? all the “gurus” say GREAT, just another option consideration from somebody else, but if you only leased it a year in the first place, you are out of luck for the purchase price and only made a couple thousand the whole year.

Again, you get a MINIMUM of 3 years on your contract with the seller. Your contract with your tenant/buyer should require them to give you a written 60 days notice before their L/O expires with you, as to whether or not they intend to exercise the option. If they don’t intend to exercise the option then you start marketing the property 60 days ahead of time before your L/O with your tenant/buyer expires, to find someone else.

1. RISK - you have to wait an entire year to find out that owner has liens against property and it cant be sold

NO! You have a title search done on the property when you enter into your agreement with the seller. If everything checks out you have the seller sign a performance mortgage that you record to protect your interest. If the seller does anything to cause any liens against the property while you have a contract with them, those liens will be in second position to your performance mortgage. If the seller is unable to clear up the liens then you can foreclose on the property and wipe out any liens behind your performance mortgage.

1. on REPAIRS - you agree with owner that repairs over 100 bucks are done by them…so when it happens with your sub-leaser, do they contact you or do they contact original owner directly?

Usually you may limit repairs to you paying the first $500 and anything above that the owner would pay. This would only be for repairs due to normal wear and tear. It doesn’t apply to damages caused by the tenant/buyer. YOUR contract with your tenant/buyer would require them to pay ALL repairs and maintenance, regardless of cost. Of course, if they don’t have the money then you will need to pay it to protect the property and then work something out with your tenant/buyer to make payments to pay you back. This is another reason why you don’t run out and spend that option money you get so you have money in reserves to cover any unexpected costs that should arise.

1. if you are leaseing, then sub-leasing, DO or DO NOT record the option and mortage at them public records?

YOU record a performance mortgage with the seller. You don’t record anything with your tenant/buyer.

I’m curious though, you stated you took a L/O course? Which L/O course was this? Most, if not all of this stuff should be talked about in the course. So I’m curious as to what L/O course you took that doesn’t tell you any of this stuff? Judging by the questions you asked, it doesn’t sound like you took a L/O course at all.

I would recommend checking out Bronchick’s L/O course so you can get all the proper information needed to do L/O’s successfully before getting yourself into a legal mess down the road. You can find more info about it at this link:

http://www.creonline.com/c-122.htm

Re: L/O Questions (several) - Posted by Larry

Posted by Larry on January 25, 2002 at 11:04:41:

Thanks a lot for the detailed response! It was helpful.

Re: answer #3 - Posted by Mark (CO)

Posted by Mark (CO) on January 23, 2002 at 17:37:42:

JohnBoy,
Regarding your answer #3, do I need the t/b permission to talk to my mortgage broker about their app?

Performance Mortgage - Posted by Brian M. Powers(MI)

Posted by Brian M. Powers(MI) on January 23, 2002 at 09:08:08:

John:

Do you use the standard Fannie Mae mortgage?
What do you put for the amount of the mortgage you are placing on the property…your expected profit?

Thanks!
BMP

Re: answer #3 - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on January 23, 2002 at 17:53:38:

The credit app. signed by your tenant/buyer should have something at the bottom where they sign the app. that states something nto the effect:

I/We also authorize lender, landlord, its agents, successors and or assigns, either directly or through any credit reporting agencies, and any source named above in this application to check and verify any information contained in this application. I/We authorize my/our credit sources, current and previous landlords and employers, and personal references to disclose to lender, landlord, its agents, successors and or assigns such information about me/us as they may request.

This allows you to discuss anything with anyone pertaining to them getting the property.

Re: Performance Mortgage - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on January 23, 2002 at 14:51:26:

I use the performance mortgage that comes in Bronckick’s course.

Which Bronchick Course? - Posted by Brian M. Powers(MI)

Posted by Brian M. Powers(MI) on January 24, 2002 at 09:33:20:

Sorry to be such a pet JB…but whick Bronchick course do you have that came with a Performance Mortgage?
I have Alt. RE Financing, which has a “Performance Rider” which is only the addendum to the actual security instrument itself right?

Thanks and I owe you a Ginger Ale in Atlanta for your help on this!

BMP