Laminate Flooring Cutting Tool - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on September 14, 2011 at 08:48:27:

Just to clarify, I don’t recommend the tool just yet as I have only used it once but so far I see the potential good for those who do a lot of laminate flooring.

Sorry I have not had much need to do stairs as I only have a few properties with a step or two in them and they are carpeted.

In one old mobile home I sold a few years it had one step going into the kitchen. I put scrap laminate across the riser and then covered the transition with the metal edge type strips you buy at the box stores. At the bottom of the riser where it met the other laminate flooring in the living room I just put a piece of small trip that I cut and stain out of 1x2 furring strips ripped in half. For mobile homes this is great but you might want to use 1/4 round if you are doing this in a nicer home.

Tony

Laminate Flooring Cutting Tool - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on September 12, 2011 at 14:46:30:

Dr. B recently mentioned this tool and I looked it up and although I believe it is a bit pricey I do a lot of laminate flooring and the time spent walking outside to cut the boards, walk back in and sometimes go back out to cut just a sliver off adds up. Not too mention the million squat thrusts created by this process.

Anyone else get those wobbly legs the day after one of these flooring jobs when you haven’t done them in a while?

It is nice to not have to plug in and not having to leave the room to make the cuts saves a great deal of time and effort not to mention the lack of (green) dust that my flooring creates.

You still need to rip some boards the long way as you reach the end wall which requires a saw and there will likely be a few door frames etc. where you will need a jig saw to make the cuts but I did find that I could install the majority of the floor without having to leave the room or go outside. Never fails that the tenant has the heat on 90 and its freezing cold outside so I sweat inside, go outside and get clobbered by pneumonia during the cutting time.

I have only used this tool on one small room so far but will be doing more flooring in the coming weeks. For those who do a lot of this flooring you might consider and maybe you can find a better price on a similar cutting tool.

This one is called “Bullet Tools EZ Shear 13” flooring and siding cutter.

I have not used it on any other material other than this laminate.

Just a heads up for those who might be interested.

Tony

Re: Laminate Flooring Cutting Tool - Posted by Shawn Sisco

Posted by Shawn Sisco on September 15, 2011 at 09:43:22:

A 16" would make a fine skirting cutter.

I’m New to Laminate… - Posted by Auctioneer

Posted by Auctioneer on September 14, 2011 at 05:59:38:

Thanks for the product recommendation. I sent my maintenace guy a message yesterday and told him to find one and try it. Even if it is a bit pricey, time savings is a valuable thing.

I am a relatively new convert to the laminate product. I am actually currently building small stick builts to be used as rental property and for the first time am considering the Laminate product for the entire house. My question for Tony and others. Do you know if anyone makes accessory type products for stairs. Even if I use a one pc finished stair tread and painted rizer I still need a bull nose transition at the top of the stairs unless I transition to carpet. Has anyone encountered this?

Re: Laminate Flooring Cutting Tool - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on September 16, 2011 at 19:27:44:

Shawn,

I agree that the tool should be wider. It would nice to be able to do skirting as well but that is far too wide.

I used this tool again today to lay laminate in a 16’x11’ master bedroom. I can honestly say that I don’t miss blowing green dust out of my nose for 2 days like I used to with the old circular saw.

Very little mess, tool was by my side in the room which saved many trips to cut outside (so as not to get all the dust inside).

I still think this tool could be made for way, way less but I am quite happy with the results so far.

Tony

Oh and… - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on September 14, 2011 at 08:56:23:

I did not find one of these in any store but let me know if you do. I had to google and then order it online.

Again, not endorsing the product in any way. Just trying it out and thought others might have an interest.

Tony

This post will pull up an old thread I wrote about 6 months ago about a laminate cutting tool that I bought. At that time I had not used the tool enough to form any lasting opinions but I have now. I have done a number of laminate floors and I can tell you that I wouldn’t do another laminate floor job without it.

For most jobs all I need is this cutting tool and a cordless jig saw to make the cuts. This way I don’t even need power, nor do I have to drag out chop saws or cords. I recommend using the actual laminate tools as well (hammer, tapping blocks and pull bar) as these are inexpensive and work well. I just keep them all in a bucket on the truck and grab them in one shot when I go to install flooring.

I still think the cutting tool could be made/sold for less if a big box store picked it, or something like it, up. Even at the $240 it has proven well worth it to me. If you are only doing a floor here and there it might not be worth it but if you are doing more than that then do yourself a favor and think seriously about investing in this bullet cutting tool.

Tony

any thoughts on stick on tile?

i hope that this is not spam… but its just stick on tile same stuff they have at homedepot about $1 a piece. Seems to be even easier and more durable and all you need is an exacto knife. And if it gets messed up its easier to replace… thoughts on that???

I have found that peal and stick type products do not last in mobil homes but if you go this route I would recommend laying luan down over the existing floor to give you a good, clean subfloor to adhere to.

At a $1 per square foot (if I read it right) this is more than the cheap laminate at the big box stores and about the same as the thicker, more durable laminate we buy at the discount warehouse in Asheville.

No right or wrong, just whatever works for you.

Tony