Land/Home deal in Ohio - Posted by Victor-Ohio

Posted by Glen (OH) on April 06, 2007 at 16:40:40:

Keith,
Dr. B and I live in the same area and this new law has all but stopped my search for any land deals that are not on city sewer. I have one of these new septic systems at my private residence. The present cost on mine is 22k. If that isn’t enough, I’m forced by the county to have a maintenance contract with one of their ‘prefered’ providers @ $300 a year. The system has 3 pumps, as many float swithches and a control panel that could operate an NC machine tool. The whole system is monitored via the internet so I assume my whole family’s bathroom habits are watched and recorded.

I have checked with the county and was told that a Mobile Home on a functioning leach line system would be OK. But…if in the future the system failed or you moved a new home in, you’ll be slapping leather for close to 20K.

As they say in Rome, Caveat Emptor!

Glen (OH)

Land/Home deal in Ohio - Posted by Victor-Ohio

Posted by Victor-Ohio on April 04, 2007 at 21:49:46:

I’ve just made a verbal offer (to a realtor) on a SW/land deal that the owners reponded positively to and would now like to see my offer in writing. The MH is older but in excellent shape - has a well and septic and a large shed. This is my first L/H deal and I have a couple of questions/concerns. I’ve read “Investing in MHs with Land” and have done some general searching of the topic on the archives. Iam currently doing my due diligence.

From what I’ve read so far about buying L/H deals is that people are using their attnys to close the deals. I’ve talked to a very knowledgable title company who has done these in the past and has advised me on what needs to be done such as including in the purchase contract that the title of the MH is to be conveyed at time of transfer with no liens. This will be an all cash deal. Iam I right in assuming in Ohio people don’t use attnys to close?

Is there any other aspect I need to be concerned about in regards to purchasing through a realtor and what special terms need to be added.

Thank you for your comments.

Re: Land/Home deal in Ohio - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on April 04, 2007 at 23:02:19:

I have never believed the hype of some gurus and courses that claim to teach table closings in which the investor closes the deal themselves using deeds etc. To me this is dangerous at best.

At the very least we should heed the lawyer’s own warning. Doesn’t it go something like, “A lawyer who has themselves as their attorney has a fool for a client?”

Title searches need to be conducted by the pro’s who will provide title insurance. This does not mean an actual attorney may conduct the search but someone who should know what they are doing and at least puts them on the line. Title insurance is like any kind of insurance (read full of loop holes that don’t necessarily protect you but may oddly enough give the insurance company and out).

None the less, title insurance is a one time fee and very cheap (based upon the value of the property) since we pay so little for these properties.

Title agency or closing attorney, please let them do their job and not try and save a few bucks by doing the closing yourself.

Not that you are necessarily considering doing it yourself but for those who might, please don’t.

Tony

Watch where you step. - Posted by Dr. B. (OH)

Posted by Dr. B. (OH) on April 04, 2007 at 22:37:42:

Victor,

You should check with your county health department to see if they have adopted the new rules in Ohio regarding septic systems. Basically, many counties are now requiring mini wastewater treatment systems (read $17-25K) if your current septic fails. Or an approved “repair” which will ultimately lead to a new system.

I now include in my contracts language such as: …subject to septic system inspection and approval of buyer. Pay to have the health dept. inspect it. I have seen septic haulers state a system is in good working order when in fact the system has been failing for years. That is, your leg sinks into 15 inches of muck where the septic lines are. The county folks are the ones who may cause you to replace a system even if the neighbor is the one who complained.

BTW, yes, title agencies and even R.E. agents CAN close a deal in OH.

Happy Trail(er)s,
Steve

To All - Posted by Dr B (OH)

Posted by Dr B (OH) on April 06, 2007 at 15:14:06:

As in most things, one must ask themselves: “Just because I CAN do it, SHOULD I?”

Happy Trail(er)s,
Steve

Ohio septic law - Posted by Keith (OH)

Posted by Keith (OH) on April 06, 2007 at 13:06:29:

Steve,

This new law is pretty hardcore. Do you know if other states have the same regulations or is this smoething the Ohio gov. has dreamed up all on their own. I can’t imagine all the rural property owners shelling out 20K for a failed septic system. These folks are just going to walk away from their homes leaving a big bunch of abandoned homes behind. Just what we need right now more foreclosures.

You are right, septic system inspections are more important than ever. And even if they pass I don’t know if I’d be comfortable taking on the risk some day down the road. Proceed with caution.

Keith

Re: Ohio septic law - Posted by Dr B (OH)

Posted by Dr B (OH) on April 06, 2007 at 15:09:44:

Keith,
Don’t know about other states. Basically, this issue will eventually become nationwide as we try and control the sewage dumping into our waterways.

It all depends on the soil. In areas where the soil percs (percolates) the effluent well, there will be fewer issues. In southern Ohio, where there is a great deal of clay (hardly porous), we have to resort to more advanced treatment methods.

Yes, in time ,either houses will be abandoned or property values will increase based on whether or not they have a viable septic system.

Happy trail(er)s,
Steve