Land Trust question - Posted by Jay

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on January 26, 2000 at 17:19:31:

I learned about Performance Mortgages (or more specifically for my state, Perfomance Deeds of Trust) from posts here on this board, and in Bill Bronchick’s materials.

However, the title company I deal with knew what to do, and even drafted the whole thing on state approved forms. Perf Mtgs aren’t really special. They are basically a Mtg or Deed of Trust that secures an agreement instead of a promissory note. You could call your title company and ask if they could handle it for you. As always, state laws vary, and a good attorney would also be helpful on your first one.

Stacy

Land Trust question - Posted by Jay

Posted by Jay on January 26, 2000 at 11:52:28:

When buying subject to with the home placed in a Land Trust, what happens to the seller if the ‘trustee’ of the land trust defaults on mortgage payments?

Thanks,

jay

Re: Land Trust question - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on January 26, 2000 at 12:18:23:

The seller would have a foreclosure on his credit report, unless he decided to start making the payments himself, on a property he no longer owns. That’s why these sellers need to sign the “CYA” form, that proves they understand the mortgage is staying in thier name.

Stacy

Re: Land Trust question - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Bill Gatten on January 26, 2000 at 14:03:50:

Not mentioning any names: but…that just might be why you’d want to use a bonded, third-party non-profit corporate (unrelated and unbiased) entity as trustee…with a bonded collection and disbursment service at its disposal.

Bikk

Bill

Re: Land Trust question - Posted by Jay

Posted by Jay on January 26, 2000 at 16:53:54:

Bill,

I searched above for your banner for more detailed info…Not there…

jay

Re: Land Trust question - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on January 26, 2000 at 14:49:22:

Or just make the payments that you agreed to make… :slight_smile:

Mark

www.cal-equity.com (nt) - Posted by Glenn OH

Posted by Glenn OH on January 26, 2000 at 21:17:01:

nt

Re: Land Trust question - Posted by Jay

Posted by Jay on January 26, 2000 at 16:47:58:

The reason I ask: I suggested a Land Trust to a potential seller. He wants 10K cash for his 25K equity, but he wants to eliminate any possibility, however miniscule, that he could lose his business. Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Jay

Re: Yep. The best solution. nt - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on January 26, 2000 at 16:04:32:

Re: Performance Mortgage - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on January 26, 2000 at 16:59:21:

A perfomance mortgage would work. I used this on one of my subject-to deals a few months ago. My seller wanted some assurance that he could get the property back if I defaulted on his loan payments. For example; an agreement that if the payments become 60 days late, the seller could foreclose on the performance mortgage and regain title.

I didn’t see a problem with this, since I fully planned on making his payments and it didn’t cost any more to set it up. I ended-up making one payment and reselling to a new-loan buyer, anyway. But without it, he wouldn’t have done the deal.

Now, here’s where Bill Gatten comes in to explain the PACTrust…

(smile)

Stacy

Re: Performance Mortgage - Posted by Jay

Posted by Jay on January 26, 2000 at 17:03:57:

Thanks Stacy, that sounds very interesting…Do you know where I can find more info on the subject??

Thanks,

Jay